2014 Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel at 12,000mi interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel, this is my report at 39,000mi on the truck.

I've been aiming for the 10,000mi mark plus or minus 500-1,000mi depending on when I have time. Well, I ran out of time to change the oil before a road trip vacation to Florida, so I ended up with a 12,000mi change interval. I wasn't concerned, my last report stated I "should" be good to go until 11,000 based on the numbers, so I just topped off the oil before the road trip and went on my way, and did the round trip from WI to FL and back.

I know not many are extending the oil change intervals on the EcoDiesel... but I am making sure I am getting the full 10,000mi from mine at bare minimum!

Here is the full report:

pRLynnF.jpg

If you're curious about the Ram EcoDiesel 1500 platform, I did also do a walk-around video of my truck so you can hear it run and all that fun stuff.

Last edited:
I wonder if it was beginning to thicken up on you a bit? Fuel dilution is certainly not a problem. Every time I look at their add packs (that we can see) I think to myself the GTL base oil must be doing the heavy lifting and doing it well.

Last edited:
Those numbers look great, the iron is probably from the motor still breaking in and flushing out. Its only had 3-4 oil changes.

I loved that diesel Ram when I test drove it. Was just a little too $$ and didn't really *need* it. Sometimes I see one on the road and wonder "what if?", but I'm happy with the Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Thanks for the info on this new engine for Dodge.

How is the power say compared to the 5.7L gas engine if you have driven both.

It's been a few years since I drove a Hemi, but I'd say the turbo lag and raw balls off the line aren't there in the Diesel, but as soon as you hit the torque band on the little 3.0L, it's surprisingly stout for a small motor.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I wonder if it was beginning to thicken up on you a bit? Fuel dilution is certainly not a problem. Every time I look at their add packs (that we can see) I think to myself the GTL base oil must be doing the heavy lifting and doing it well.

Based on the viscosity? A little bit I suppose. This was my summer change, I ran this from the end of June until the end of October.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
I loved that diesel Ram when I test drove it. Was just a little too $$ and didn't really *need* it. Sometimes I see one on the road and wonder "what if?", but I'm happy with the Tacoma.

I drive a lot. I upgraded from an F150 to this for roughly the same monthly cost (truck payment & fuel). It's working out for me so far... 41,000mi on it now.

Originally Posted By: TSR6

Based on the viscosity? A little bit I suppose. This was my summer change, I ran this from the end of June until the end of October.

Yes, it was the vis I noticed. You had driven it further than the other times and added oil as well and the vis was still higher than the other changes IIRC. Nothing bad, just an observation.

Yes, it was the vis I noticed. You had driven it further than the other times and added oil as well and the vis was still higher than the other changes IIRC. Nothing bad, just an observation.

Quite literally... the 1/4 quart is an over estimation. I just added a little to top off before the trip to make sure it was where I wanted it on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
That is an amazing engine. The starting tbn for that oil is about 6.

It really is... There's a couple improvements that could be made if it wasn't for the EPA, but it is what it is.

I do not think the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 is GTL based but rather Group III/IV (or a blend maybe). The new Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 is GTL based.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Originally Posted By: SR1919

I do not think the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 is GTL based but rather Group III/IV (or a blend maybe). The new Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 is GTL based.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

I don't have that answer.

Just rolled my EcoDiesel over 65,000 and she is running like a top!!!

I did make the change to Rotella T6, 5w40.......

I had a Jeep Liberty with a VM Motori diesel and I would suggest using an HDEO if you want to run 10k intervals. The Euro oils will do OK for 5k+ but I would not trust them for 10k. In Europe I don't think they have the emission requirements that we do for diesels so a Euro spec oil seems to do fine on these motors over there. With the emissions that we have here, I think you would benefit from a true diesel oil that can handle the soot if you want longevity on the turbo.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The oil is not doing bad, but I would use the new spec calling for a 5w40 HDEO. Will do better for your engine.

It would be interesting to see back to back OCs w/ UOAs comparing the originally specs PP Euro L 5w30 to the newly spec'd Rotella T6 5w40.

I'll have a UOA of Rotella T6 0w40 at the end of winter.

I've got 93k on my Eco.... Love the truck and it has only cost my $900 on a emissions sensor.

I am about to turn her in for the EPA settlement.... Get their crappy tune and a 48k warranty.... giddy up!

Originally Posted by BigJohn

I am about to turn her in for the EPA settlement.... Get their crappy tune and a 48k warranty.... giddy up!

I only have 52k miles on my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel so I'll be getting the 120k/10yr warranty and the $3k.

I had the Approved Emissions Modification done two weeks ago. No difference from stock tune even while towing except for a slightly slower throttle response when cold that goes away once it has warmed up and it holds gears a little longer and shifts at a higher RPM.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by BigJohn

I only have 52k miles on my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel so I'll be getting the 120k/10yr warranty and the $3k.

I had the Approved Emissions Modification done two weeks ago. No difference from stock tune even while towing except for a slightly slower throttle response when cold that goes away once it has warmed up and it holds gears a little longer and shifts at a higher RPM.

It's the greater of 10 year/120k miles AND 4 years/48k miles from the date of the AEM recall. So whichever applies, at 52k miles probably still fall under 10/120.

Basically this is an extension of the federal 7/70 or 8/80 emissions warranty. Read the fine print on what it covers in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back