oil for 1972 Datsun 240z

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought is to use some sort of high zinc diesel oil, but many folks online say to use 5w30 and nothing else.

An old straight 6 engine with an API SN 5w30 doesn't sit well with me.

What do you guys think?

post-4148-14150810526148.jpg

Definitely saving this one. Thanks.

Rotella T5/ T6 or equivalents sound like good options.

I have a decent stash of M1 TDT 5w40 yet too.

I agree with the diesel alternatives if not one of the high dollar racing-type, zinc-filled ones. As an aside, this was back in the day when Castrol GTX (20W50) was THE OIL.

High mileage quaker state 10w30 or the Rotella 10w30 is what I would start with.

OK, you might want to look at this Blog: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ It's a bit of a read and you can drift somewhat as you read, but the bottom line is that there are a lot of good oils out there that have the extreme wear capabilities you will want in lieu of the older high ZDDP oils. Modern oils do well. They do not have to be synthetics to perform well. Some Dino oils do well and some blends do really well.

My choice for your situation would be Maxlife 10W-40. It rates well, is readily available (Wal-Mart) and well help keep old seal softer and tighter
smile.gif

I've owned three Nissan Z's and still drive one. Don't use a 0 or 5W,and don't use a synthetic. Go with a conventional 10W40. I'd probably use Pennzoil HM in that car.

I ran a beloved '76 Datsun 280z, which had fuel injection instead of the 240's carbs, for 12 years. Castrol GTX 20W-50 for 230K miles.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
I ran a beloved '76 Datsun 280z, which had fuel injection instead of the 240's carbs, for 12 years. Castrol GTX 20W-50 for 230K miles.

That's what I ran in my 77 280Z,GTX 20W50.

There is no again. The info might help an older car owner looking at a plethora of oils. It might not, but what's the concern?

I've been in contact with 540 RAT about the way the info is presented. He's doing some more work this winter (including looking at more HM 10W-40's), so maybe it will change some, But I suspect that highly rated oils on his blog will continue to be highly rated.

He has picked up some interest from other researchers working industry who are looking at lubrication issues...

I'd like the data arranged and presented somewhat differently, but I think it's valid in as far as it goes.

And a carb'd 240Z owner should know more about the changes in modern lubricants that are not represented in his antiquated owners manual. Wouldn't it be nice to 250,000 out of that motor than to start scrounging parts for a rebuild... That's on the owner, but info can't hurt ...

Last edited:
The methodology stinks and there's no error analysis, and for an engineer, that's pretty poor. He himself states it bares no semblance to what happens in an engine, so what's the point? Yet, he claims anecdotally to be able to have some correlation with track failures or some such thing.

So, what we have are anecdotal stories about how a non-reproducible test with no methodology adequately explained and no error analysis. And, we're supposed to choose an oil based upon this?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There is no again. The info might help an older car owner looking at a plethora of oils. It might not, but what's the concern?

Then what's the point?

You could use any current-spec 10W-40 and rest easy.
These are much better oils than anything available when the car was built and these engines were known to achieve high mileages back in the day.
The engine has lower specific output than any current four cyl I can think of and is SOHC, so valve spring pressures should be low, so I don't think this is a highly stressed engine and is likely to be undemanding of its oil.
These are gorgeous cars that are a blast to drive.
Great engine note and great shifter.
I had an FI 2+2 280 for a while that I liked a lot, although the 2+2 steers like a truck.
If I were you, I'd be more concerned about keeping the rust genie at bay than I would about what oil to use.
These cars were horrifically rust prone when new.
Between this and their daily-driver quality reliability and durability, few originals survive in this part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back