ATF/Acetone- what separated out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago I tried the much heralded ATF/Acetone (50/50 mix). Shortly after mixing, there was a separate layer sitting at the bottom... opaque, clearish liquid. I used acetone from a gallon can. No, there wasn't any contamination. After several attempts to get it to mix in, I gave up and dumped it.

Just the other day I thought I'd try again. This time I used nail polish remover. (bought new for this purpose, no contamination) and had the same results. What gives?

When we tried acetone with ATF we had the same results. It's just phase partitioning, possibly a reason why it works and creeps well.

Solvency and solubility thermodynamics can make certain compounds "partition" between two phases. This is called extraction and is very common industrially. So it is plausible that some components segregate from the ATF into the acetone.

I was under the impression that this mix needed to be shaken constantly while being used, and doesn't actually stay mixed.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I was under the impression that this mix needed to be shaken constantly while being used, and doesn't actually stay mixed.

Yes shaken, not stirred.

+1

+2 All I've ever seen was separation into 2 layers with a clean "line" between them. A wee shake and you're good to go.
I mixed my ATF/acetone in a clear contact lens solution (saline solution) bottle.
I love the little squirt hole. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

I love the little squirt hole.

TQ_Wlsu6.jpeg

Seriously though, what's the ATF/Acetone mixture being used for?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
What kind of container are you mixing in?

Plastic squirt bottle.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
When we tried acetone with ATF we had the same results. It's just phase partitioning, possibly a reason why it works and creeps well.

Solvency and solubility thermodynamics can make certain compounds "partition" between two phases. This is called extraction and is very common industrially. So it is plausible that some components segregate from the ATF into the acetone.

Interesting- thanks for your input. I do know that the two constituents do at least partially mix, as the separated layer does not total 50% of the total mix.

Originally Posted By: JC1

+1

Wasn't aware of that- am now though... Thanks for chiming in!

Originally Posted By: Kira
+2 All I've ever seen was separation into 2 layers with a clean "line" between them. A wee shake and you're good to go.
I mixed my ATF/acetone in a clear contact lens solution (saline solution) bottle.
I love the little squirt hole. Kira

Oh my!

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Seriously though, what's the ATF/Acetone mixture being used for?

A cheap but supposedly very effective penetrant.

We never identified the layer of odd stuff the OP described.
I think it's simply some contamination though he says it isn't (what does he know, anyway?)

I also think yuz guys are pervs-to-a-degree (but that's OK).

I didn't have any acetone so I used B-12. Seems to work ok, I also get the phase separation. Another thing, after sitting for a few weeks, the oil turns very dark, as though it is oxidized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back