GM terrain uses oil since new

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 with 70000 mi now has always used 1 qt per 5000 miles, using Gulf full syn it is GF-5 Or Dexos compliant why does this new engine show so much oil consumption & would it get worse if
changing brands?

I wouldn't consider 1 qt in 5.000 miles a problem. Are you running 5w-30?

I've have vehicles with similar usage, and it always bothered me but in the grand scheme of things 1L/5k is just fine.

I have never had an engine that used even 1/3 quart during a 6,000 mile oil change when the engine had 100,000 + miles on it. A quart in 5K would suspect something wrong with the engine or the designers. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have never had an engine that used even 1/3 quart during a 6,000 mile oil change when the engine had 100,000 + miles on it. A quart in 5K would suspect something wrong with the engine or the designers. Ed
you're kidding right?

I've had a fair number that were 1 qt/1,000 and that was considered normal. My last Volvo Turbo comes to mind. And it ran 285,000 before I let it go. Air cooled VW were always worse out the box. My wife's Jag is 1 qt/1,000 from the get go and it has 188,000 on it.

I like a little oil getting past the rings. Not much, but enough to known that all ring lands are getting lubed
smile.gif

If it changes, then you get concerned
frown.gif

My Traverse is about the same, I'll have added about a quart after 5,000 miles, and it's using Dexos-approved oil, even though it didn't call for it originally. At 125,000 now.

No, I am not kidding zach1900. I'm referring to my daily drivers and we see many, many UOA with people running 7-10,000 miles without adding oil. Maybe it has something to do with the design of some engines or how we break-in the engine. Ed

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Originally Posted By: Eddie
you're kidding right?
ya why do people think a qt in 5k is bad.its pretty good actully.the owners manual for my ford says a qt in 750 miles is ok

every engine uses some oil some use more then others 1 qt in 5000 miles is fine. If an engine used absolutely no oil not even a drop that would be a problem..

Valve guides and rings some oil has to get by or else!

A qt in 750 miles is not fine that is a problem the owners manual says that so they can say "it even says so in the owners manual" but that does not make it ok.

Remember engines are pumped out by these mfgs in the millions. Not all can be good. Have had a couple new cars just drink oil our worse. At work we needed to jget to remams out, didn't have all parts to assembly, so we sent out two Goodwrench new long blocks. We got one back with wide bearing clearance(no low oil pressure), second one ran rough, customer said unbalanced compression.

I am with Eddie. The 3 fusions were never low at 5-7k drains. The geo is 1/4qt at 8-10k drains. Many gen1and2 3.8, change at a qt low, usually 8-10k. And many ope's.
Geo is only road vehicle under 100k. All others are 200+k.

Harvey

Harvey

Last edited:
I've never had an engine that used oil between changes except for an old Grand Prix that had a 305 in it. To me, with those "modern day tolorances, no oil should be detectably used in a 5000 mile oil change cycle.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
every engine uses some oil some use more then others 1 qt in 5000 miles is fine. If an engine used absolutely no oil not even a drop that would be a problem..

Valve guides and rings some oil has to get by or else!

Uh Oh
eek.gif
.. My '13 corolla 1.8 with 12k doesnt use a drop. [censored] !!

Mustang 4.6 with 10K OCI's (once a year), don't notice any oil used. Wife's van, change it too much to tell!

A factory remanned Detroit 60 12.7L that gets worked hard 5 days a week. Only uses about 2 qt in 20-25,000 mile OCI's. A Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 that uses under 1/4 qt in 6,000 miles. Yeah, I think I would have to side with the 1 qt in 5000 miles is a little bit excessive.

In the old day when I drove trucks the freight trucks with the 8v71s would use a gallon doing a San Francisco bay area to Los Angles basin round trip, about 750 miles maybe 800 max.

Last edited:
What engine? You can't go off the very few cars here. The sample is just to small, we don't know how they drive.

There are plenty of cars that burn oil listed here where these folks see none. My 01 Mustang GT burnt about 1 qt per 4000 miles. Ford 4.6 Mod motor

My Trans Am uses about that in 5000. My Truck a 6.0, very similar to the Trans Am uses about 1/2 every 5000 miles of towing. My Grand Prix about 1/4 every 4000 miles
1 qt in 5000 miles? Nothing to worry about.

Ecotec 4 most likely. 5000/1qt is normal on many GM engines. It is not something to worry about. Changing brands would most likely help you. Try red bottle Maxlife 5w30, I've seen it cut 5000 mile quart burn almost in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back