10W-30 a better choice then 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched to 5W-30 in the Hemi with my summer oil change... She has been Silky Smooth and Very Quiet... No issues! Nor did I expect any...

After doing some researching around and reading... 10W-30 just might be a better choice...
The Ram is a daily driver with mostly Interstate and Highway driving very little stop and go city driving and short trips are avoided as much as possible...

I live in Oklahoma so cold winters are not that bad but there are many days of 0*F weather... The Ram will be in the garage at night... Only at work will it be exposed to long periods of winter weather...

The 2 oils I am drawn back to are the 10W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum...
These are the Pure Plus Version... I did not post the Ultra Versions..

SAE Viscosity Grade : 5w-30
Density : 0.84 g/cm3
Flash Point : 224°C
Pour Point : -48°C
Viscosity @40°C : 56.9 cSt
Viscosity @100°C : 10.3 cSt
Viscosity Index : 170
CCS Viscosity @-30°C : 4,000 cP (-30)
MRV Viscosity @-35°C : 10,500 cP (-35)
Noack Volatility : 10.1%
Specifications : API SN, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5,
Chrysler MS-6395, Ford WSS-M2C946-A, GM 6094M, GM
4718M, Honda/Acura HTO-06, dexos1

SAE Viscosity Grade : 10w-30
Density : 0.843 g/cm3
Flash Point : 224°C
Pour Point : -48°C
Viscosity @40°C : 63.3 cSt
Viscosity @100°C : 10.3 cSt
Viscosity Index : 150
CCS Viscosity @-30°C : 4,150 cP (-25)
MRV Viscosity @-35°C : 8,500 cP (-30)
Noack Volatility : 4.7%
Specifications : API SN, ILSAC GF-5, Chrysler MS-6395, GM
6094M, GM 4718M

My question is as stated above-->Is the 10W-30 the better choice then the 5W-30 for an owner who is using a 30Wt oil?

No, I do not believe the 10/30 is a better choice over the 5/30.
The difference is not as great as some might think but I can say without question, there is no benefit to using a 10/30 in cool to cold weather and a reason to use the 5/30, more so in cool to cold weather.

Last edited:
Well.....Each person has their own focus. Truth be told, for your application, there is probably not a dime's worth of difference.

The 10W has a better NOACK. But the 5W is a bit thinner at 40C, which is good, and has a better VI.

The specs for the cold end of the scale are meaningless in your situation. It would have to get down a lot lower than zero before that would come into play.

So......If both satisfy the Chrysler specs, I doubt you would ever see any real difference.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Well.....Each person has their own focus. Truth be told, for your application, there is probably not a dime's worth of difference.

The 10W has a better NOACK. But the 5W is a bit thinner at 40C, which is good, and has a better VI.

The specs for the cold end of the scale are meaningless in your situation. It would have to get down a lot lower than zero before that would come into play.

So......If both satisfy the Chrysler specs, I doubt you would ever see any real difference.

I agree and why I would just default to the 5/30, I own an 08 Durango, V8 non hemi. Oil is supposed to be 5/20, more so in the hemi. I use 5/30 being in SC and most times 5/20 winter.

For that year they say use of a 30 might interfere with the Hemi operation when cruising as the drag from the heaver oil might interfere with the cylinders properly shutting down (gas saving cylinders shut down while cruising).

Last edited:
5w30 is already past what is recommended in your Hemi, if you're still in warranty I would be putting in the proper oil, which is 5w20

If you have any issues with mds, Chrysler can test that oil and figure out you aren't using the proper one and there goes your warranty

Manufactures that design and build these engines also know what type of oil it's supposed to take

It depends on what you're looking for. If NOACK is the determining factor, then yes, 10W-30 is the better choice.

Any HTHS data?

I walk into the parts store. $8/qt for 5w30. $4/qt for same in 10w30. Price sealed the deal.

Use whatever you want.

Hemi have any history of failures? Or, is it a no stress on oil engine?

Wemay: The NOACK is what really stuck out to me! Everything else if accurate is Very similar...

I know to some owners that # is the deciding number...
How important is the NOACK # to a daily driver?

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
Easy enough on oil but the mds system won't function properly with 10w30

Really? How do you know this?

This is BITOG where unfortunately 10w30 is NEVER the correct choice. But in this instance I would pick the 5w30, the cold start advantage is real.

The 10w30 would be just fine if not possibly superior for anything but the dead of winter where you are, and would still work then but the 5w30 would definitely be the better choice IMO.

Run the 10w30 over the summer, you won't be able to tell any difference. I ran SAE 30 over the summer just for kicks and could not tell one whit of difference at start up until fall hit and it got down into the 40's.

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
Easy enough on oil but the mds system won't function properly with 10w30

What evidence do you have of that, not to mention any evidence that Chrysler, or anyone else, can definitively tell the difference between a 20 grade and an ILSAC 30 grade after an OCI by UOA?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

A better VI is because of the viscosity improvers. Why is it good that at 40C the oil is thinner?

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Wemay: The NOACK is what really stuck out to me! Everything else if accurate is Very similar...

I know to some owners that # is the deciding number...
How important is the NOACK # to a daily driver?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/noack.htm

Originally Posted By: Garak

What evidence do you have of that, not to mention any evidence that Chrysler, or anyone else, can definitively tell the difference between a 20 grade and an ILSAC 30 grade after an OCI by UOA?

In to 2013 owner's manual there is a note: "NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS)."

I don't see it in the 2014+ owner's manuals, however.

robert

I've heard about that wording, too, but we've never seen any evidence of that. You know how thick a 5w-20 is when cold, compared to a hot 5w-30, and how much short tripping goes on in this world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back