do oil labs tell you how your filter is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, seems they might be able to tell based off what they find. I know they can kind of tell if your air filter is dirty, at least they were able to with my Buick.

All the oil labs can really tell you is how your oil chemistry is looking, the chemical breakdown, particle count, etc..

While some information about the filter can be gleaned from this information, it analysis isn't really going to tell you much besides the oil itself.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
so there is no analysis way to tell if the oil is "clean"

One of the functions of oil is to remove "dirt" from your engine, dirt being combustion byproducts in this case. Your oil is supposed to get dirty.

do the oil labs tell you anything thing about how your filter is working, say a farm ultra on its 3rd 5000 oil change?

Maybe.
One of the things that you'll find in any UOA is a measure of insolubles.
You'd have to run a few back to back runs of a cheapo jobber filter and then a few back to back runs of the current BITOG flavor of the month Ultra to determine whether the oil filter actually made any difference.
It might, but I'm guessing that the difference would be small and maybe just lost in the background noise.
Does filter efficiency matter?
Given the low efficiency of most Japanese OEM oil filters put on engines that typically lead long, low oil consumption lives, it may well not.

so there is no analysis way to tell if the oil is "clean"

The only time oil is clean is when it's still in an unopened original bottle.
smile.gif

Measurement of insolubles. The filter will actually become more efficient as it loads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back