Why 5W40 and 0W40 Synthetic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducman

As I have indicated previously on the forum.
My interest in some of these 0w-40 grades has well and truly been piqued.
This thread has renewed my interest.
Thanks.

As the first man in Australia to ever run an ILSAC oil, you will always be welcome home brave adventurer.

You may need to run some Penrite 10-Tenths 10W-40 with a HTHS of 4.49 first, to clear your head and purify your soul.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Well the bottle on that link is not a GTL oil, at least it wasn't sold or market as GTL when Shell sold that Ultra. In Europe GTL version has silver piston in place of Active Cleaning" logo. Graphics are different too.
Also new bottle has PurePlus logo.

According to Shell, who we asked about this, they used the old bottles for a while to "use them up" even though the product in them was the new GTL-based product.

Overkill, can you be bothered with a link where Shell's representative claim this? And if not, with what date they supposedly made a switch in Shell branded oils? Thanks.

Well the bottle on that link is not a GTL oil, at least it wasn't sold or market as GTL when Shell sold that Ultra. In Europe GTL version has silver piston in place of Active Cleaning" logo. Graphics are different too.

According to Shell, who we asked about this, they used the old bottles for a while to "use them up" even though the product in them was the new GTL-based product.

Overkill, can you be bothered with a link where Shell's representative claim this? And if not, with what date they supposedly made a switch in Shell branded oils? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: SHELL
We began switching production facilities to use PurePlus™ base oil in our Pennzoil Platinum® line of motor oils—bulk, packaged and Eco-box—in 2013. Beginning February 1, 2014, Pennzoil Platinum® packaging indicated the use of this technology was 100%, and all production locations have switched.

That's from the Q&A here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

I'm sure you could search and find more.

Also, when I asked about why the version of the Ultra 5w-40 I bought still had the SM labels despite having current at the time (March 2013) date codes, I received this reply:

Quote:
I just wanted to let you know we just heard from Shell in regards to this matter. They say the product has been SN since mid 2012 but the packaging has not been updated yet.

This inquiry was made because the ultra low NOACK version of Ultra Euro 5w-40 was the SN version, the prior SM version had much higher volatility.

Yes, Shell commonly does that. It's no big deal or surprise. You have lots of labels and bottles, I guess you go through them. Heck, even the latest Pennzoil and Quaker State bottles aren't seen in all locations here, even high sales places.

Originally Posted By: SHELL
We began switching production facilities to use PurePlus™ base oil in our Pennzoil Platinum® line of motor oils—bulk, packaged and Eco-box—in 2013. Beginning February 1, 2014, Pennzoil Platinum® packaging indicated the use of this technology was 100%, and all production locations have switched.

That's from the Q&A here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

I'm sure you could search and find more.

Also, when I asked about why the version of the Ultra 5w-40 I bought still had the SM labels despite having current at the time (March 2013) date codes, I received this reply:

Quote:
I just wanted to let you know we just heard from Shell in regards to this matter. They say the product has been SN since mid 2012 but the packaging has not been updated yet.

This inquiry was made because the ultra low NOACK version of Ultra Euro 5w-40 was the SN version, the prior SM version had much higher volatility.

Thank you Overkill, but I asked about Shell Ultra products, not the Pennzoil's version. There's no reason to assume that Shell made this switch earlier than packaging changed just because NA Shell brand did so. At least we can't tell that for sure.

Is PPE latest Pennzoil's offer in that spec.( euro 5w40)? This product differs to Shell Ultra in ACEA specification and in flashpoint.

Thank you Overkill, but I asked about Shell Ultra products, not the Pennzoil's version. There's no reason to assume that Shell made this switch earlier than packaging changed just because NA Shell brand did so. At least we can't tell that for sure.

Is PPE latest Pennzoil's offer in that spec.( euro 5w40)? This product differs to Shell Ultra in ACEA specification and in flashpoint.

We don't get the Shell versions here so I only had reason to direct my inquiry regarding the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 version. You'll probably have to ask them yourself unfortunately if you want some answers specific to the Shell-branded products. There's been far less discussion regarding those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back