Delvac Elite 10W30 21,900 miles Volvo D13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
API classifications so far have been backward compatible. That does not mean SAE grades are backward compatible.

That's why we do have to watch specifications. When you look at a gasoline engine calling for an SN/GF-5 oil, it's going to call for at least one viscosity, and perhaps only one for all year use. Obviously, at least in a significant number of applications, you're not going to dump in 0w-20 in place of 5w-30. Not only is SAE grade different, you'll have a lower HTHS.

At least the CJ-4 stuff and builders approvals get you to the minimum HTHS for the engine's requirements. That's seen in plenty of European applications Of course, one should still not discount what the manufacturer says in the manual just out of hand.

Yes, and that gives us the two HTHS levels, and that will certainly require some caution. Obviously, one will be backwards compatible and one will not be.

If dual rated oils disappear in December of 2016, I suspect that I'll keel over.

What is the general consensus among your friends on the road? I put the question to a gentleman that has 10 Cummins powered tri-drive on-off road trucks, his brother about 40 on road super B's, some of which are "Aardvarks" too. He just laughed and pointed to 30 or so empty Delo 15W40 drums. "Can you read labels?" Every year he drops the 2 oldest tractors and buys 2 new ones. Most truckers like him with generations of investment, don't want to mess with success, and so far 15W40 for him has been a success story. "Show me the money you've saved", should be the 1st question people ask when discussing light weight engine oils, car or truck.

If an engine isn't spec'd for a 30 grade, then no way would I consider it. I completely understand if someone has no interest changing, but if 30 grade is approved I don't see a reason to reject it blindly.

If there is a 1% increase in fuel economy, I can save $450-$500 per year by myself. If the cost of fuel goes up, I can save more. Pick a number of trucks and multiply by $450, and the savings can be in the millions.

It's more fun to walk out of a store smiling because you saved a whopping amount of money at the cash register as opposed to saving 1% stretched out over a year. That's a given. Even though I can't measure the exact increase in fuel economy, I believe it's there.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If dual rated oils disappear in December of 2016, I suspect that I'll keel over.

crackmeup2.gif
come on now...will that really stop you from running Delvac?
laugh.gif

That is a good thought. I wonder if the dual ratings will go away. As you know the Delvac Elite 10W30 is not rated for spark ignition, but I don't know why. Is it the formulation or just not bothering to get the approval? There's another of my shortcomings coming through.

Your absolutely correct Garak, that is why the industry is looking at global standardizations. Perhaps this would be a good time to take this to another discussion on PC-11 HDEO.

www.pc-11explained.com

Thanks for link. When I said I looked forward to the next gen oils, I certainly meant the CK-4 rating, not the FA-4 oils.

If I still have this truck (with it's higher oil temps), I'll be able to compare oxidation going from CJ-4 oils to CK-4 oils. Better oxidation control is on the way, which is a big deal when combining higher oil temps with long oci's.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
come on now...will that really stop you from running Delvac?

Probably not unless it were a complete reformulation that were magically inappropriate for a gasser. And, the odds of that are slim to none. Of course, the Delvac Elite 10w-30 may not have the spark rating, but it's not like the two-stroke diesel thing, either.

Thanks for your interesting post. About 10 years ago I worked for a competing OEM in competitive intelligence and we toredown at least one D11 and iirc maybe a D13 as well. We also had some ex Volvo sweden engineers.

As you noted, despite the indicated TBN the oil experienced some oxidation. Perhaps try another lab next time such as Wearcheck or Polaris that tests oxidation along with a virgin sample to give you a better idea of oci capability with this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Thanks for your interesting post. About 10 years ago I worked for a competing OEM in competitive intelligence and we toredown at least one D11 and iirc maybe a D13 as well. We also had some ex Volvo sweden engineers.

As you noted, despite the indicated TBN the oil experienced some oxidation. Perhaps try another lab next time such as Wearcheck or Polaris that tests oxidation along with a virgin sample to give you a better idea of oci capability with this oil.

You're welcome. That had to be a cool job! Let's see...Navistar in Chicago, Cat in Peoria and Cummins in Columbus...
whistle.gif
I won't ask which one, but I'm surprised that anyone over here on this side of the pond snagged an engineer from Volvo in Sweden.

I do plan to use a lab like Polaris or Cat for a VOA and UOA or two (for the oxidation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back