Routers and modems

Status
Not open for further replies.
First simple question. I have Comcast with the phone service. I would like to buy my own modem again. The Comcast one is an Arris tg863g/ct. Now I know I can buy that exact one. But I wanted to buy one with more bonded pairs. That is easy to find. However I also need the modem to handle the telephone. Does such a critter exist??

Second part is I'm upgrading my WiFi router. I have tried 4 different models. I am on my second asus rt-ac87. The first one had a broken antenna. So that is why it got exchanged. The thing I do not understand is the original asus router was giving me almost exactly the same wireless speed of 120 Mbps as my wired connection to my desktop when in the same room. Now this second unit is only giving me 93 max on Tim 5gHz band and I believe I have everything set up the same as before. Also with this router I have had it stumble twice after making changes via the web browser. To the point I had to reset the computer and router. Do these points indicate a bad router. Why would I be loosing almost 35Mbps via WiFi with this router especially when all the antennas are good. At least visually. And they do not make a noise when you shake them like my original unit. thanks

Also tried the asus ac68p. Similar issues to current router. Low WiFi speed. Worse issues when making changes. Would have to reboot several times

And the best buy special net gear r7300. It also matched my wired speed. But cost to much for the additional powerlines adapter that did not work well in my home.

I'm so 😕 confused on to what I should expect and get

All routers where set to best 40 on 2,4 and 80 on 5ghz and disabled any b/g protection or legacy supports. To maximize signal and speed on the n and ac networks

I have Comcast tv, internet, and phone and use the Arris tg862. I didn't want to pay leasing fees and tried looking for a different modem but did not find one so I purchased the exact same Arris modem on ebay for about $50.00. The Arris modem is o.k. but the router signal is fair to poor in my house. In order to get complete coverage I had to run the modem/router to the center of my house, in a open area, which is really inconvenient for the wiring and location. It really stands out like a sore thumb on top of my fireplace but it's the only place that gives my house complete coverage.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have Comcast tv, internet, and phone and also use the Arris tg862. I didn't want to pay leasing fees and tried looking for a different modem but did not find one so I purchased the exact same Arris modem on ebay for about $50.00. The Arris modem is o.k. but the router signal is fair to poor in my house. In order to get complete coverage I had to run the modem/router to the center of my house, in a open area, which is really inconvenient for the wiring and location. It really stands out like a sore thumb on top of my fireplace but it's the only place that gives my house complete coverage.

Buy an Arris from my link.
Get your own router.
Be Happy.
smile.gif

Do a search for wireless router benchmarks. The speed of WIFI has a lot to do with the processor on the unit and how many features are turned on or not. Under the hood these things a linux based computers doing multiple jobs. My Asus at the time was rated very highly for WIFI speed.

Far as my wants and needs versus cost and all that. I have end the basic research and that led me to the asus ac68 or ac87 or the netgear r7000 night hawk. What I really do not understand is all 3 of these models are very similar. I cut 2 nd the 4 have given me close to my wired speed and 2 of the 4 have given me a wireless speed of 35Mbps slower than wired. What I need to know why that is happening. It does not make sense to me. All of them have improved the range and speed over my old router. But when your spending the money and seeing varied results especially with the exact same model showing that big of a drop. I mean some people are not even getting 35 Mbps speed into there homes. Yet I'm seeing that big of a drop between the exact same router? Am I missing something?

In the same model number of unit there can be different revisions of the internal electronics board. it can also be the version of firmware you're running.

As they revise firmware to plug security holes and bugs throughput can drop ...it is a CPU in there processing the data packets. It was common on old linksys boxes to load your own hacked firmware's to optimize speed or add functions.

I have a Linksys EA2700, $25 for a refurbished unit...

Has gigabit wired speed, 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels,
and decent throughput...

Well im gonna play around with firmware and setting some more. But if it does not match the speed of the original one i can only assume its broken and take it back.

Why are you using a 5ghz connection? Try the standard 2.4ghz and retest speed. My understanding is that 5ghz band is best for video streaming, but range isnt great.

If you can limp along, waiting for the black friday deals will save you a lot of money and a step up in gear. I upgraded last year for very little cash.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why are you using a 5ghz connection? Try the standard 2.4ghz and retest speed. My understanding is that 5ghz band is best for video streaming, but range isnt great.

I have no problem with range actually. And once I get a router picked it will get moved to a better overall spot for coverage. But the whole point is I am using the router for streaming and gaming. Faster the better. Ya I am hoping for a good black Friday deal

Personally I had good luck with Motorola modem.

Routers I just bought whatever has good review on newegg. Still using 3 Linksys WRT160N V1.1 extending signals through out the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back