Zinsser Bin Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shellac-based, white. Used to use it all the time. Bought a pint just a month ago at a local hardware store. Today I wanted to pick up another one. The guy said they never sold it in a pint, just in quart. I said I bought a pint. He asks me if I am sure I didn't buy it elsewhere. No, I say, I bought it here. Do you want me to bring the receipt? Second guy shows up. Says he's never seen it in a pint. Turns out he's been working there for ll of two weeks. So I buy a quart because I'm tired and because I don't want to have to buy paint online.

Now it turns out the product is much thinner than it used to be, really watery. Before it was kind a thick and could even out irregularities, which is one of the reasons I used to like the product. Does anybody know if the BIN Primer has gotten thinner? It also smells a lot more like alcohol than it did before.

zinsser%20primer%20sealer.jpg

Hmm. I remember it always being thin. The latex Bullseye 123 is nice and thick, which is what I use for most trouble spots. The shellac BIN is better for stain-blocking and adhesion though. I've never seen either in a size smaller than quarts.

So that's now three people saying they never saw that paint in a container smaller than 1 quart. Clearly I am hallucinating.

qycvoy.jpg

I always try to get by with the Bullseye 123, if only because it's water clean up.
Never seen it in less than liter tins.

How much do you save buying by the pint?

For me, to buy 2 liters would cost more than buying a 4 liter (gallon) tin.

A pint is $9.99, a quart is $18.99. I really don't need a quart. On the other hand, if I let it sit long enough, it may get thicker for future use.
grin2.gif

I notice the cans are different maybe so is the primer? I have a gallon of regular KILZ that is watery and a gallon of Premium that is much thicker.

I use Cover Stain, its interior/exterior and oil based but dries pretty quickly. I an priming a lot of exterior cedar trim on all sides before its installed and this is what I use.

The stuff in the quart can that you say is watery/thinner and smells like alcohol, says dries in 15 minutes.

The stuff in the pint can, says dries in 45 minutes.

I'd say that the thinner stuff would likely dry quicker.

Could that be your difference?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So which of these would be best after scraping and sanding poorly applied contractor grade peeling paint on a bathroom ceiling?

Peel Stop or Gardz, then you can put a coat of Bullseye 123 primer over it, and top coat it with a kitchen and bathroom paint. Don't use Bin.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
So that's now three people saying they never saw that paint in a container smaller than 1 quart. Clearly I am hallucinating.

qycvoy.jpg

That can clearly says 1 quart.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
Never seen it in less than liter tins.

They are in quart tins. The People's Republic of Canada gets labels that say "946mL" on them, which is a quart.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
.... Don't use Bin.

Just curious as to why?

I've used both Kilz and BIN products many times over the past 20yrs or so. I've found the oil or "shellac" based stuff to always be very thin, watery and STINK, but man does it cover, hold and make a great prime coat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
.... Don't use Bin.

Just curious as to why?

I've used both Kilz and BIN products many times over the past 20yrs or so. I've found the oil or "shellac" based stuff to always be very thin, watery and STINK, but man does it cover, hold and make a great prime coat.

I know the product very well, in fact I field tested it for Zinsser along with some of their other products many years ago. Bin is an alcohol based shellac, a great sealer, however it is very brittle, and dries too fast which makes it a poor choice for priming larger areas. Another disadvantage to its fast drying is it doesn't penetrate as deep as some of the slower drying products which can be a disadvantage in some instances. NEVER HANG WALLPAPER OVER IT!!!!!

You mentioned stink, work with it in a poorly ventilated area for a few hours, and you'll fail a breathalyzer test.
wink.gif

Its consistency is hit or miss, and the longer it stays open the thicker it gets. It wrecks brushes, the best cleaner for it is ammonia making it a PITA to clean brushes and rollers. Solvent alcohol thins it, and can also be used to clean brushes and rollers however it doesn't work as well.

It is good for spot priming knots, and water stains, for overall priming there are much better choices.

Demar- Thanks for that!

Yes, I have used it in confined, poorly ventilated spaces. Indeed it's horrible. I've mostly used Kilz products when I needed them, the past 5-10yrs due to availability and cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Demar- Thanks for that!

Yes, I have used it in confined, poorly ventilated spaces. Indeed it's horrible. I've mostly used Kilz products when I needed them, the past 5-10yrs due to availability and cost.

No problem! We keep Bin in the truck for water stains, knots, magic marker, and ink marks. That's about it. The quick dry oil primers, and latex primers have improved in the last 10-15 years making us reach for the Bin even less.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I notice the cans are different maybe so is the primer? I have a gallon of regular KILZ that is watery and a gallon of Premium that is much thicker.

I found the picture of the quart can online. Do I realy have to gho ahaead and take a picture of the quart can version of the pint can that U have posted? Really? REALLY?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The stuff in the quart can that you say is watery/thinner and smells like alcohol, says dries in 15 minutes.

The stuff in the pint can, says dries in 45 minutes.

I'd say that the thinner stuff would likely dry quicker.

Could that be your difference?

My quart can, other than size, is identical to my pint can. It's the same product. See my above reply.

[I know the product very well, in fact I field tested it for Zinsser along with some of their other products many years ago. Bin is an alcohol based shellac, a great sealer, however it is very brittle, and dries too fast which makes it a poor choice for priming larger areas.

Since I waqs looking for onoy a pint, I doubt I was going to paint any large areas with it. What do you think?

Quote:
Another disadvantage to its fast drying is it doesn't penetrate as deep as some of the slower drying products which can be a disadvantage in some instances.

That's one of the reasons why I like the product. If it soaks in too much it will warp the thin wood I am priming.

Quote:
NEVER HANG WALLPAPER OVER IT!!!!!
I dislike wallpaper and will never hang it. Promise!

Quote:
You mentioned stink, work with it in a poorly ventilated area for a few hours, and you'll fail a breathalyzer test.
wink.gif
I paint outside.

Its consistency is hit or miss, and the longer it stays open the thicker it gets.
That would explain why this can contains such a thin product. It's awlays been thicker than that. I'll just let i sit open for a day and let some alcohol evaporate.

It wrecks brushes, the best cleaner for it is ammonia making it a PITA to clean brushes and rollers. Solvent alcohol thins it, and can also be used to clean brushes and rollers however it doesn't work as well.
I have no problem cleaning the brush.

[quoteIt is good for spot priming knots, and water stains, for overall priming there are much better choices.

Another reason I like it is because it's compatible with all types of paint and won't result in peeling, crinkling and lifting.

Anyway, the product works very well in my application and whetger or not it's the ideal product was not the topic and is completely besides my questions, which was about the viscosity of the product. That question was however answered apropos by permapaint, so I thank him for his input.

Here, for those who still think the blasted paint is not available in quart and pint size.

2hhng2c.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
[I know the product very well, in fact I field tested it for Zinsser along with some of their other products many years ago. Bin is an alcohol based shellac, a great sealer, however it is very brittle, and dries too fast which makes it a poor choice for priming larger areas.

Since I waqs looking for onoy a pint, I doubt I was going to paint any large areas with it. What do you think?

Quote:
Another disadvantage to its fast drying is it doesn't penetrate as deep as some of the slower drying products which can be a disadvantage in some instances.

That's one of the reasons why I like the product. If it soaks in too much it will warp the thin wood I am priming.

Quote:
NEVER HANG WALLPAPER OVER IT!!!!!
I dislike wallpaper and will never hang it. Promise!

Quote:
wink.gif
I paint outside.

Its consistency is hit or miss, and the longer it stays open the thicker it gets.
That would explain why this can contains such a thin product. It's awlays been thicker than that. I'll just let i sit open for a day and let some alcohol evaporate.

It wrecks brushes, the best cleaner for it is ammonia making it a PITA to clean brushes and rollers. Solvent alcohol thins it, and can also be used to clean brushes and rollers however it doesn't work as well.
I have no problem cleaning the brush.

[quoteIt is good for spot priming knots, and water stains, for overall priming there are much better choices.

Another reason I like it is because it's compatible with all types of paint and won't result in peeling, crinkling and lifting.

Anyway, the product works very well in my application and whetger or not it's the ideal product was not the topic and is completely besides my questions, which was about the viscosity of the product. That question was however answered apropos by permapaint, so I thank him for his input.

Here, for those who still think the blasted paint is not available in quart and pint size.

2hhng2c.jpg

I was replying to SumpChump who asked an unrelated specific question. Which I quoted him in my reply. Then JTK who quoted me and asked another question, and quoted him in my reply as well. FTR my supplier carries it in pints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back