Focus Duratec Thermostat Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The thermostat has been "replaced" by a dealer - but I never received any paperwork and I believe it was not actually done.

Are you sure the replacement thermostat wasn't one of those poor quality Motorad "fail open" types that we keep telling people not to use?

Seeing as how I got no documentation when it was "replaced", I am willing to bet it is the original failed one.

Whatever is in there now is getting replaced by the Motorcraft thermostat. Motorad is 1/2 the price, but I'll stick with Motorcraft on this one.

Update!

Took the Mechanic 3 hours to replace the thermostat ... and then time for a radiator drain and fill and "burping" of the cooling system.

I am pretty sure the old thermostat was bad. I reached full temperature on the gauge in about 3 miles. That used to not happen.

The car also runs at about 200 degreesF now - that is higher than the thermostat setting (expected). However, with the old thermostat, it would never get above 180.

And, heat. WOW! It was in the high 30s last night and it was just as much of an inferno as the Jeep!

Plus, with the car having 60,000 miles, I think it was due for cooling system maintenance anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back