Mobil 1 Formula M 5-40 for a Cruze Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOR the experts:

Have searched and cannot find the correct answers:

Am I making a 'big' mistake or am I okay with this choice?

Also . . . Which is the 'best' oil filter to use?

Regards,

Derrel

40K miles in only nine (9) months.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Your OK......

No he is NOT. Wrong viscosity.

From everything I have read, you are supposed to use a 5W-30 dexos2 compliant engine oil.

Castrol Edge C3 is available in 5W-30 dexos2. I would not just "pick an oil" for a turbo diesel, go with what the manufacturer recommends.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Originally Posted By: stchman
Your OK......

From everything I have read, you are supposed to use a 5W-30 dexos2 compliant engine oil.

Castrol Edge C3 is available in 5W-30 dexos2. I would not just "pick an oil" for a turbo diesel, go with what the manufacturer recommends.

What are the viscosities recommended in other parts of the world for the Fiat engine?

Duh . . .

Just what would you call 40K miles since early February?

The finest running machine I've had lately and I have had a few in the last 65 years!

Too bad stupid stopped using this engine!

Regards,

Derrel

I guess stupid is as stupid does. I was looking forward to the 2L Diesel going into little 4x4 X-overs. Has the VW emission news turned the public off Diesels? I find it hard to find fault with the dexos II 5W30 looking at the specs. Maybe give it another 300,000 miles and report back. Personally I think just about any 5W30 or 10W30 CJ-4 will do, and in the summer what would you think of Delo 15W30? What do you think Garak? Would plain vanilla 10W30 1300 work?

It would probably work, and the E6, E7, E9 type 5w-30 would be closest outside of the formal specifications or the ACEA C regime, but if one can get a dexos2 lube, I'd stick with that, at least for warranty purposes. I'm still flabbergasted that I found the Castrol dexos2 stuff on the shelf in a fairly vanilla Canadian parts place.

Then again, Wakefield never lets the grass grow under their feet here.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Has the VW emission news turned the public off Diesels?

Yes, some, and especially since Mazda has been demonstrating high-compression gasoline engines over the last couple of years (SkyActiv) that are more efficient, the gap in fuel economy between gas vs. diesel is lower now.

i bought a new p/u a couple months ago and didn't choose a diesel because of the emission controls infancy.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: stchman
Your OK......

What are the viscosities recommended in other parts of the world for the Fiat engine?

I don't know, but the manual for a Cruze diesel says to use a 5W-30 dexos2 oil or another oil that meets the ACEA C3 specification. The 5W-30 viscosity is recommended for all temperatures.

People love conspiracy theories... If that 2L Diesel was built for optimum fuel economy with total disregard for emissions, how much difference would there be? If every engine in every vehicle was optimized for fuel economy the same way, how much less fuel would the world consume?
What ever the number is, there would be upstream and downstream environmental changes, some for the good, and some bad.
As a side note, there are other reasons than for potential fuel cost savings people choose to go Diesel, and that would be the driving experience.

Last edited:
I have tdi golf and noticed many people in tdi forum have used Mobil 5w40m instead of 5w30 esp. Additive packs are equivalent and they both have .6 sulphated ash content. The wear rates were slightly lower overall on the 5w40 so you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back