2015 BMW 328d

Status
Not open for further replies.
The young'un purchase one recently and asked about oil changes. Knowing nothing about diesels I asked what did the dealership offer. He was to check back. He said there was a Castrol recommended sticker in the engine bay. Which version of Castrol would they be using? And what other oils would meet BMW's requirements?

Essentially you need an oil meeting BMW LL-04 spec. One example would be M1 ESP 5w-30.

Isn't all maintenance included on this car during the warranty period?

If dealer is truly using Castrol (note: BMW recently switched suppliers to SOPUS), then it's likely EDGE C3 or something similar...

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...BPXE-9PU2LE.pdf

If they're using SOPUS, then it's likely this:
643072_x800.jpg

oil-83212365949-BMW-Twin-Power-Diesel-5W-30-oil-back.jpg

Originally Posted By: little bob
The young'un purchase one recently and asked about oil changes. Knowing nothing about diesels I asked what did the dealership offer. He was to check back. He said there was a Castrol recommended sticker in the engine bay. Which version of Castrol would they be using? And what other oils would meet BMW's requirements?

That new 2015 car didn't come with an owner's manual? Please read that before you make decisions based on "stickers" in the engine bay or even what the dealer says.

Thanks. I asked the same question about free dealer maintenance and he was to check on it. If it is, he's good to go. But if he has to get it done elsewhere, I'd want to make sure he insisted on an oil that met BMW's specs.

Thanks. I asked the same question about free dealer maintenance and he was to check on it. If it is, he's good to go. But if he has to get it done elsewhere, I'd want to make sure he insisted on an oil that met BMW's specs.

There is more than one BMW specification, so an oil that meets a spec may or may not be the correct oil for that engine.

Quattro Pete knows a lot about BMWs (more than I do) and I'm sure he's correct, but before I or anyone else put oil into that engine I would want to know what the manual requires, not just just what someone on an Internet chat board says. Ditto for what any random dealer might do.

BMW's are little bit easier then VW.
GAS: BMW LL-01 spec
DIESEL: BMW LL-04 spec.
So, as long as you are using oil that meets BMW LL-04 you are good to go.
Mobil1 5W30 ESP is very good Low-SAPS oil that will keep your DPF, EGR clean. Also, you can just get BMW oil in dealership.
M1 5W30 ESP you can order online on Amazon:
Mobil1 5W30 ESP
Also, you can get Liqui Moly 5W30 4200 Toptec, Pentosin Pento HP II 5W40 or Pentosin 5W30 SuperPento III.
But again, as long as oil at the back of oil bottle says BMW LL-04 you are good!

I don't really know other than he's into hyper-miling. He does make long trips fairly frequently coming home. He also said he planned to keep it a long time....we'll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back