Got a project car, 1987 Regal Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wanting a project for a while.

I was toying with the idea of adding a turbo, 6MT swap and other supporting mods on my '09 Accord. At the end of the day I really didn't see the point of messing with my reliable DD. The project didn't appeal to me after a few days of critical thinking. Also was thinking about one of those new 5.0 Mustangs but simply don't feel like having another car payment.

I have always loved the look of the Regal Grand Nationals and LOVE turbo LS engines. I was talking with my Dad about my ideas and we both really thought a turbo LSx Regal would be pretty neat. He's retired and goes around eBay and Craigslist every couple of days. Sure enough, he found this Regal on eBay out in Spencerport, NY. Car looked good so we threw an offer and sure enough got it.

Went this past Tuesday and brought it home... actually drove it home. It is a 1987 Buick Regal Limited, 32k miles on it, Olds 307 with the electronic quadrajet and 200-4R overdrive Metric 200. Spent it's life in North Carolina and came up here a few months ago. Guy drove it up here. Car holds the road pretty well. The 307 is an absolute pig.

My ideas/goals for this:
-Aesthetically a Grand National. No GN badges, but Gloss Black with all black trim.
-New GN repro LED tail lights
-HID projector retro-fit
-GTO or Acura TL/CL buckets with early 2000s Monte Carlo center console
-custom gauge cluster with Autometer ES gauges
-dual exhaust exiting behind each rear wheel
-Alumastar wheels with maybe a 275 or 295 out back (gotta see what fits)
-GET RID of that vinyl top

Drivetrain:
-5.3 LM7 with stock crank, forged rods and pistons
-LSA heads
-LS6 intake
-boost cam
-truck manifolds flipped forward
-twin Precision 6266s
-4L80e
-9" rear
-Control engine and transmission with Holley EFI Dominator
-cutouts wired to the traction control button of console

Maybe 4 link in the rear?

Body:
-gloss black paint
-pull body from frame, sand blast frame and paint
-paint under body with line-x

Also am KEEPING heat and eventually want to make A/C functional 100%.

Should be neat when all done. Will definitely take me a few years to get all of this accomplished, but will be very proud once finished. Me and Dad and looking forward to the project. Hope to be around 600-700 on low boost.

gljXUpN.jpg

IsR95BK.jpg

OYD0k5H.jpg

10ui5Y4.jpg

sSgKM7e.jpg

sLTCxFq.jpg

GrzV67t.jpg

86ISIdJ.jpg

gEgk3Ld.jpg

vgKj7hs.jpg

Uifc33Z.jpg

VIMEjZj.jpg

VIMEjZj.jpg

XfeQvhs.jpg

vnnPHW2.jpg

QsEgc30.jpg

wWLPaHV.jpg

Qn2R6Kk.jpg

CUEdaRa.jpg

JvCUWwK.jpg

TlilrzV.jpg

IxukefA.jpg

Goal:
WzEmeCT.jpg

Nice car, awesome project.

I'd like to get a Caprice wagon with the wood grain on the sides one day, make it a sleeper/ tow rig.

Nice car! It looks clean and I like it how it is - vinyl top and all.
27.gif
Sadly, a lot of those G bodies are getting destroyed by the donk crowd.
mad.gif

10177686_2011121951514.jpg

G bodies have got to be my favorite body shell, always loved the lines...

My someday pie in the sky build would be a g body cutlass, with either a Ford NA 3.5, or 2.7 ecoboost.(both engines locally made) power wouldn't be crazy, but sufficient. And very drivable.

Buick is bringing the Grand National back some time in the near future. If I hit the lotto round about the time the GNX is availble, I will definitely go buy a black one!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd like to get a Caprice wagon with the wood grain on the sides one day, make it a sleeper/ tow rig.

I used to drive one as a taxi years back. It was a very good riding car, but wasn't much of a sleeper.
wink.gif

Nice car for a project. Have you thought about a crate LS6 engine with wiring harness and ECM, 6 spd and independent late model Camero rear.
First thing is getting the body off and gutting the interior.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I used to drive one as a taxi years back. It was a very good riding car, but wasn't much of a sleeper.
wink.gif

Driving a Caprice boat would put me to sleep.
sleeping.gif

Dang Man, what a find!
thumbsup2.gif

I take it you're gonna replace that (sorry, ugly) instrument panel...
wink.gif

If it was me,I would've personally looked for a Grand National on Ebay that needed to be restored/redone.It would've been worth more when it was completed,but like I say it's your project,and I wish you all the best!

I built myself a 87 Mustang GT,and one thing I learned was,establish a budget,then add thousands more to that same budget.
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Driving a Caprice boat would put me to sleep.

It was easy on the body on rough Regina roads. And yes, in the wagon, you could lower the back seat and have more than enough room to crash out, should you so choose to! I wouldn't mind the car back, but its range on LPG was a little dismal.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Nice car! It looks clean and I like it how it is - vinyl top and all.
27.gif
Sadly, a lot of those G bodies are getting destroyed by the donk crowd.
mad.gif

10177686_2011121951514.jpg

The OP looks like he got ahold of a nice, well taken care of classic. What's the difference between the donk and all the stuff he wants to do? He's essentially wanting to turn it into a strip racer minus the cage...

Nice car, awesome project.

Nice find, redhat.

I had this exact engine in my woody '88 Caprice wagon. A pig to be sure. I wish I still had that car...would have loved to have put a crate motor into it. Or even a blown 3800 which would have been FASTER than the 307.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back