Go twice as long OCI if running synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owner's manual says to change the dino CF rated oil every 3000 miles in my Ford diesel Duratorq engine (2.5 liter displacement). If I put in a synthetic oil such as Mobil Delvac 1, can I run the OCI to 6000 miles safely?

Maybe. Used oil analysis will tell you if the lubricant is suitable for continued service. Most people don't think synthetic is twice as good or can handle twice the contaminants, but if the conventional oil was under-used then maybe the synthetic goes 6k safely.

Ford, historically, has Fuel-dilution issues with their Diesel engines. Hence, the reason for the 3k OCI..
Only way to know for sure to extend OCI is with UOA's..

I would think extended is possible simply because oil is better now.. but I would definitely suggest doing a UOA(used oil analysis)
and of course you dont list climate or type of service (severe etc)

so my answer to your question.. a qualified maybe.

I would think you could go 5000miles at least if the service isnt severe with cold weather short tripping, extensive idling, dirt roads etc...

People can go 12K maybe 18K on a diesel engine. But that somewhat depends upon sump capacity and other things like fuel dilution. The older diesels before the pollution stuff could go longer OCIs.

Here we go again with that pesky synthetic question, insinuating that the base oil is the be all and end all. What would necessitate the requirement of a synthetic oil in a warm climate for a 6,000 mile oil drain? Are we talking about an engine that originally specified a CF API classification, now suddenly needing a synthetic CJ-4?

Yes, to me, it would sound that the vehicle's intervals were written for a place and/or time that ULSD didn't exist and with a rather dated lubricant specification, or not a lot of availability for a more modern specification.

Fuel dilution and soot levels. Diesels are in a league of their own. Can't really bring over mindsets folks have with gassers and apply the same thing to diesels. To wit, soot was not even mentioned in this thread, yet it is one of the major factors in how long a oil can go between changes in a diesel.

This is my first diesel engined vehicle and I really don't know much about diesel engine oil requirements. Hence my original question. I'm just looking for ways to extend the OCI beyond 3000 miles. Like, what if I use a synthetic oil.

I've been looking at the oil shelves, and I see Mag1 All Fleet Fully Synthetic 5W-40. Mag1 website says it exceeds performance requirements of virtually all diesel engine manufactures including CJ-4/SM, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, CF, MACK EO-O PREMIUM PLUS '07, MACK EO-N PREMIUM PLUS '03, MACK EO-M PLUS, CATERPILLAR ECF-3, ECF-1, CUMMINS CES 20081, 20077, 20076, DETROIT DIESEL 93K218, 93K215, 93K214, MAN 3275, MERCEDES BENZ 228.3, MTU TYPE I, TYPE II, VOLVO VDS-4, VDX-3, VDS-2, GLOBAL DHD-1, JASO DH-2, ACEA E7-04, E4, E2, ALLISON C-4, JOHN DEERE, FORD TRACTORS, ALLIS CHALMERS, MASSEY FERGUSON, J.I. CASE & CASE IH, INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER (DIESEL & GASOLINE), KUBOTA, AGCO TRACTORS. Is this OK for my engine?

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Is this OK for my engine?

We need to know much, much more. What does your manual specifically call for? What viscosity? What service category? Is it just asking for CF or better? Does it say always 3,000 miles? Are there any builder approvals it lists? Ford specifications?

What is your diesel like? Do you have ULSD? We need to know all these things before we can even begin to make suggestions, other than the fact that Mag1 5w-40 should be a suitable lube. Even then, it might not hurt to get UOAs.

The 7.3 L Powerstrokes here at one time had really low OCIs, too. One could very easily triple them on ULSD, and that's with any basic conventional CJ-4/SM 15w-40, let alone something meeting E7, E9.

Thank you, Garak. The posts above have driven me to look at the owner's manual more closely. I use low sulfur Euro4 diesel fuel. The manual has a general table that says viscosities of 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 15W-40 are recommended. And to use CF or ACEA B1/B3/B5 oil, with 3000 mile or 6 month OCI. BUT, there is a very fine print asterisk above this that I just noticed now. (My vision isn't excellent, I have mild cataracts in both eyes.)

The fine print comments (which are printed on a different page in the manual, mind you) say that for countries Wallis and Futuna, Dominican Republic, Curacao, St Martin, CH-4 or equivalent oil should be used. Ditto for Indonesia where CH-4 MUST be used. And all with 3000 mile OCI.

Finally, the footnote says "For countries other than those mentioned above (which means ME!) use 10,000 km or 6250 miles oil change interval.

Under severe driving conditions, the engine oil and filter must be replaced sooner than recommended.

So there. I'm good to run 6250 miles on conventional dino oil.

There, that makes good sense. And, given your ULSD, I wouldn't worry much. I would gather that given a CJ-4, E7, E9 lube, even beyond 10,000 km would be possible, if backed up by an analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back