Oil Burner - Oil Grade - Catalytic Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what type of impact a thicker oil grade might have on the catalytic converter in an oil burner. For example does say a 10w-40 have a different mix of additives than say a 5w-30 that would negatively impact the cat. Maybe a better question is what additives (if any) to try to minimize to protect the cat in a severe and known oil burner (like a saturn s-series).

Low-SAPS oils exist to help protect catalysts. Whether or not it would ultimately matter in a severe oil burner is debatable, but if anything would help it would be low-SAPS, low-ZDDP.

New to you car time. If you were in SW FLA I would give you a good deal on my father's Caddy Coupe DeVille. Nice torquey 4.5 v8. Car looks MINT!

Yes, the SAE and/or ILSAC designation for higher weight oils can have higher ZDDP levels than lighter oils.

When my BMW 318i started burning oils, I went over to a 20w-50 Supertech dino, because I indeed verified that it had the same low 800ppm like the lighter weights. To me that was important to ensure that the catalyst has a better chance at longer life.

It worked.

you simply cannot prolong your catalytic converter's service life while nursing an oil burning engine.

Eventually, your CAT con will die sooner (becomes ineffective) due to the need to process/ingest additional (unnecessary) oil smoke in exhaust.

Good luck.

Q.

Try Rotella T5 10W-30 or T6 5W-40
in that Saturn S Series...

Lots of detergents to break up the carbon
on the oil drain back grooves...

Known oil burner, I'd hit it with a big'ish shot of Break-Free (carbon deposit Gun Solvent) through the plug holes in each cylinder and let sit overnight. Might reduce the oil consumption a fair bit.

I'd also run HDEO's for the extra detergency
smile.gif
!5W-40 at minimum for a known oil burner...

Castrol GTX high mileage claims to have less phosphorus which helps prevent catalytic converter failure, and it claims it uses a patented phosphorous replacement.

"Catalytic converter failure is one of the most common – and costliest – problems faced by higher mileage vehicles. Phosphorus is an industry recognized catalyst poison. All motor oils contain phosphorus as part of the additive package to help prevent engine wear. Castrol GTX High Mileage’s advanced formula is specially formulated with less phosphorus than other leading high mileage and conventional oils; which helps prevent catalytic converter and emission system failure. Castrol GTX High Mileage contains a patented Phosphorus Replacement™ technology that provides unsurpassed protection against sludge, wear and oil burn-off.*"

Castrol GTX High Mileage

Good luck freeing the stuck oil control rings.

My experience told me that once the oil control rings are stuck (jammed by carboneacious deposits) and the oil drain holes clogged up, nothing can be done in-situ to break the oil control rings free at that stage.

Not with soaking it with UCL like mysterous elixir, not kreen, not auto-rx, not solvent (coz it will lead to serious cylinder wall "washdown"), etc.

The only proper way is to overhaul the engine with fresh new pistons (oftentimes, a revised version of piston should be available by then), new ring sets, valve seats and valves ground, all seals,valve guides, etc. refreshed and checked, cylinders resurfaced, etc. (list goes on and on), before you can get that automobile on the road again.

Nursing a stuck oil control ring engines will eventually get to the cat con, no matter how meticulous you have been with using low phosphorus oil, etc. The oil itself will speed up the rendition of the catalyst failure.

Q.

If oil burning is so bad why will most manufactures tell you less than a quart per K mile is not a warranty issue???

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yes, the SAE and/or ILSAC designation for higher weight oils can have higher ZDDP levels than lighter oils.

When my BMW 318i started burning oils, I went over to a 20w-50 Supertech dino, because I indeed verified that it had the same low 800ppm like the lighter weights.

This is worth reading twice. Just because an oil is a grade without ILSAC limitations doesn't mean they put in the additives with a dump truck. A thicker grade or a HM oil might be worth a shot.

if it is indeed a saturn try a fixed orifice pcv.
--link--
quite a few people have tried cleaning the oil rings with little success. doesn't hurt to try though. i'm going to just try seafoam in my sister's sl1, in the oil and a piston soak. if it doesn't work it needs a cleaning anyway as it has 163k on it now.

i would stick with a 30 weight oil. i have also heard great things about gtx high milage easing oil burning. i just happen to have some on hand, but i would like to try rotella t or t5 10w-30 since the sl1 is only burning a quart about every 2,500 miles.

We have a member who had success in a Saturn with kreen. Despite the nonsense posted above, it can work very well if used as directed.

Cheap, effective, and with a REAL warranty from a real company in biz for many years, Kreen has helped us many times with extremely high mileage service vans...

You ideally have to look at the performance specs/msds to ascertain the amount of zddp in the oil rather than the viscosity. If the engine is letting the 5w-30 past the rings then a higher viscosity oil can reduce it, in turn reducing the amount of oil additives the cat gets contaminated with but if it's not a recommended viscosity in the manual I'd think twice about using it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back