Best Oil Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0 Trubo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using PUP 5W-30 in my Sonata Turbo with Framm Extra Guard Filter. Going to change it at 5,000 Miles. Going to use Hyundai OEM Filter and PP 5W30.

I was thinking about putting Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 for the winter. But the Hyundai Dealership claims 0W-40 would void the warranty. Would there be much difference between the PP 5W30 and the 0W-40?

I would think the 0W-40 would provide better protection at startup in Cold Weather and the 40 might be a little better for the Turbo.

But Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 seems to be one of the top Oil's for the money at $22.65 on Amazon and at Walmart.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
In most cases, 0W-40 will still be thicker at startup temperatures than a synthetic 5W-30 - the 0W only really matters below to well below 0 degrees F.

Also, don't overthink it. Running a high-quality synthetic in the grade your manual calls for is all your engine needs.

Go thicker. Mobil1 and Castrol have a 0w40.

0w40 does not void the warranty. Automaker scare tactics do. Hyundai engineers don't even know 0w30 or 0w40 oils exists. Fools!

5w40 is also an excellent year round choice. And, its a recommended grade. So, keep the warranty fear scare tactics away, and cater to ignorant dealership/automaker. 5w40 will flow well enough when cold since its a full synthetic.

Hyundai/Kia, with their rash of engine failures, is a brand that is worth avoiding now. Class action lawsuit required to make Hyundai admit that they screwedup. I hope you much luck with yours. Do check the oil level weekly cold and keep it at the full mark always. I would change oil every 5k or 6 months whichever comes 1st. I would definitely use a premium filter with a silicone ADBV or the OE filter. Keep your oil receipts, maintenance logs, filter receipts....

521hjt.jpg

Thanks very much. I change it around 5K and always use High End Filters and Synthetic Oil. As well as premium gas. It runs much smoother and quieter on Pennzoil Platinum and Premium Fuel.

The manual lists both 5W-30 and 5W-40, Mobil's website states M1 0W-40 may be used as well. I used 0W-40 all year round, for whatever reason the oil "looks" cleaner after 4k miles than it ever did on 5W-30.

But that could be due to me running premium fuel or other factors. I personally like 0W-40 since I'm pretty hard on my car. I have a few bolts on mods and plan to get the car tuned in the future. Not to mention I sometimes sit in a lot of traffic which could cause an increase in fuel dilution. I figure if I start with more viscosity I'll end with more when I dump the oil.

OP,

PUP (or any other brand) 5W-30 is perfectly fine for your winters in Indiana. So if that's your reason for switching, have no worries.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

0w40 does not void the warranty. Automaker scare tactics do. Hyundai engineers don't even know 0w30 or 0w40 oils exists. Fools!

5w40 is also an excellent year round choice. And, its a recommended grade. So, keep the warranty fear scare tactics away, and cater to ignorant dealership/automaker. 5w40 will flow well enough when cold since its a full synthetic.

Hyundai/Kia, with their rash of engine failures, is a brand that is worth avoiding now. Class action lawsuit required to make Hyundai admit that they screwedup. I hope you much luck with yours. Do check the oil level weekly cold and keep it at the full mark always. I would change oil every 5k or 6 months whichever comes 1st. I would definitely use a premium filter with a silicone ADBV or the OE filter. Keep your oil receipts, maintenance logs, filter receipts....

521hjt.jpg

This looks like a BMW chart.

Other than the early release of the 2.4 GDI having the metal shaving issue causing failure and the wrist pin issue what other failures/class action were there?

Last edited:
I haven't seen a chart like that in years on any vehicle I have owned. They have all been one grade specified.

Going back to my HS days, I remember my '87 Olds Cerria Coup was 5W30 (again only one oil grade spec'd) and that was a big deal. 10W30 was king then!

Last edited:
Metal shaving issue is the only thing that Hyundai admitted to. But, even the later engines are failing. This includes the 1.6T, 1.8, 2.0, 2.0T, 2.4, 3.8... Its not just a simple engine part wash/rinse issues. Lots of failures(supplier issue probable). Easy to blame owner for being a drop low on oil or a day late on the OCI and refuse warranty. Nothing like seeing 20 cars in a dealership awaiting engines. I started see the failures over 8 years ago. Worse than Toyota 2.2/3.0 issue. But silent since dealer really replaced too many engines under warranty and happy owners were quiet, as the brand was kissingbutt to build loyalty, customer service ratings,...... 1986 Hyundai Excel(best product Fortune Magazine), but not as bad of the 1983 Motortrend car of the year(hahaha). I guess warranty expense was too great for corporate as dealer attitude now is deny deny deny deny

That oil grade chart is from a 2016 Hyundai/Kia 2.0T
20w50 recommendation, how's that for best MPG? or engine protection?

I would not use a wide viscosity spread oil in a turbo. To many gummy VM's. Amsoil ATM 10w30 or Motul X max 5w30.

Commonly Edge gold bottle w/ Ti 10w30 or 5w30

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

521hjt.jpg

This looks like a BMW chart.
It is a pretty much standard viscosity/temp chart.

It is a Direct Injection Turbo Engine. I have used Mobil 1 and it was ok. But it got better gas mileage and ran smoother and quieter with Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. Always change it around 5K. Run Premium Fuel.

I was not sure if the Castrol Products in 5W-30 or 0W-40 would be any better for it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is this a DIT engine?
If so, there might be some justification for recommending a lower calcium oil like M1 5W30 just to be safe...there are lots of threads here about the possible link between calcium in oil and LSPI in DIT engines.
http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/

Hey Virtus_Probi,

Oddly enough, some of those studies have shown that high Moly is good for combating the LSPI issue as well. Who knows...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back