Can you dirve 500+ miles on a tank of fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend this as a fun thread.

I just put 504 miles on a tank with the old BMW and it took 15.5 gallons of fuel, so it could have done another 50+ miles.
We've done a few 500+ mile tanks with the '12 Accord and I had 500+ mile tanks with both of the old Accords we've had, a '97 and a '99, both sticks. I don't think that the slushbox '02 Accord could do it.
The E350 should be capable of 500 miles on a tank despite it's 15 mpg average thirst, since it holds 35 gallons.
Neither the '09 Forester nor the '99 Legacy could do it, due to smallish fuel tanks and fuel economy about 15% less than the Accords.
The Focus can't do it due to limited fuel tank capacity and fuel economy that seems a little low for the weight of the car.
What about your cars, especially the diesel ringers?
Our old 240Ds could do it, since fuel economy was pretty decent and tank capacity was huge.

My 300d might, 27 MPG x 21 gallon tank. I don't have the guts.

My camry could easily though, 35 MPG and 18.5 gal.

My neon was the worst car for capacity I ever had; light comes on and it takes 9 gallons. 300 miles to a tank was pushing it.

Yes - I've done it with my 2004 F150 - 5.4l V8 4x4 Crew Cab Truck.

Of course, having a 30 gallon tank means I only had to average above 16.7 MPG. On one occasion, averaged 19.1 MPG, traveled 524 miles, and dropped in 27.4+ gallons of gas after...

Starting to eyeball a 2015+ F150 with the 2.7 V6 and a 36 gallon tank - should make a 500 mile tank a piece of cake...

My Kia should be able to, but I don't want to drive that slow. I'd probably have to do between 55 and 65 to get 30 mpg and that's pushing it. 30mpg * 17.2 gallon tank is 516 miles. I have a lead foot though.....

Easy 36 gallon tank.
cool.gif

The Camry would do it but you'd have to be careful. Needle is on E with 4 gallons left in the tank.

Last edited:
None of my current vehicles has a range of 500 miles. In the best case scenario, after 430 to 450 miles I am running on the reserves.
frown.gif

V70 will. And I've done it a few times....principally to avoid buying gas in NJ (long, long lines because of full serve), NY and CT (taxes).

21.1 gallon tank. 27+ highway MPG.

MB gets close. 26 gallon tank. 20+ mpg.

XC tank is only 17.5 gallons (rear differential takes up room).

Not a chance with the others....

Last edited:
I went 700 miles to a 14 gallon fill up on my 91 Jetta TD. But now I have the Cruze TD the mileage is down a little to 670 miles to 14 gallons on a fill up. This is a mix of city/hwy for both vehicles. It will be interesting to see how the Cruze does on my trip to PA in Dec.

With my '12 Accord:
I drove 630 miles on a tank of gas from my house to Philadelphia, then to Dover, De. Did some side trips on the tank as well.
When I filled up in Dover, the car took 17 gallons.
Got 37.1MPG on that tank, best that I have ever done on a tank in that car.

Xj8, easy. Not even a challenge for the Jag.

G8 and Torrent would if it was relatively flat terrain.

Solstice ... dunno ... probably not ... small engine, but small tank.

Xj12, no chance. I have to refuel it with premium about halfway to Dallas
banana2.gif

Sonata 2.4L / 18.5 gallon fuel tank

~75 mph / Driven 576 miles on 16 gallons of 87 oct fuel / 80% Hwy road trip.

36 mpg

I might be able to eek it out with the Burb in my sig. I got just under 16.5 mpg on a 3,000 mile road trip last year and that involved two crossings of the Continental Divide. If I had a more level route and kept my speed to 65 mph or less (the road trip involved Utah interstates with speed limits up to 80 mph) I think I could easily do 17 mpg, which would net me 527 miles on the 31 gallon tank.

I rented a 2015 Dodge Challenger a few months back and think I was able to easily get 500 miles out of a tank but don't remember the gas tank size or my average fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back