WHO links processed meat to cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
This has been around for years. No?

Pretty much. That's why I placed quotation marks around the word news.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
This has been around for years. No?

Pretty much. That's why I placed quotation marks around the word news.
smile.gif

Processed foods, from the companies that call toxics food.

People in Mediterranean countries eat Pancetta, Prosciutto spicy salami and have higher life quality and life expectancy than rest of the world (with some exceptions.
Just mix red meat with fish, olives, olive oil and red wine. Antioxidants.

Been around for ages (and ages)...

Modern manufactured processed meats have loads of nitrites, traditional recipes had nitrates...there's a difference there.

It's interesting the agendas/spin on it.

18% increased risk of colorectal cancer, and the talking heads are talking equivalent to smoking...vasectomy has a 10% increased risk of prostate cancer associated with it, and particularly the nasty/aggressive ones, and it's "inconclusive".

Sad story, possible related, probably not. A workmate died as he walked out the front door of a heart attack at 38. A good mate was horridly affected, and went on a paleo health kick, but I couldn't convince him that 1/4lb of ham every day for two years wasn't what paleo actually looked like...he died horribly of GI cancer (that missed all the typical screenings).

I've ate quite a bit of that my whole life + a lot of red meat.

Not sure if that gave me my Thymoma Cancer or not.

This just in.....Researchers find that the death rate is still
100%. Film at six.

Have a steak. Quality vs. quantity, etc. etc.

tbone_P1020136052610.jpg

That's really no surprise. Some of the chemical-laden, processed garbage that people stuff their faces with is bound to cause issues.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
People in Mediterranean countries eat Pancetta, Prosciutto spicy salami and have higher life quality and life expectancy than rest of the world (with some exceptions.
Just mix red meat with fish, olives, olive oil and red wine. Antioxidants.

That's not a valid comparison. The salami, pancetta and prosciutto made in the Mediterranean is a lot different from the preservative-filled mass-produced stuff made in some other countries. I also don't see things like hot dogs or bologna in Mediterranean diets.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Devastating that scientists say bacon causes cancer and we face the fact that we’ll have to give up science."

grin.gif
grin.gif
01.gif

This is important. In the past, there have been "suspicions" -- remember when Oprah was sued for saying that beef is bad for you. Now we have an authoritative entity saying this which is huge. The cattle industry no doubt will fight this and put a spin on it. Let's see how this develops, I'm sure PR companies have already lined up with creative ideas for damage control. A lot of people are going to get rich.

The nitrates and nitrites are carcinogens and processed meats are in the same category as tobacco which contain carcinogens. The media have misinterpreted as processed meats are the same as tobacco. Not very surprising given the demand for sensationalist and dumbed down news.

There is still no conclusive evidence for the unprocessed red meats (beef, pork), so far there is a correlation. It could be that people who eat unprocessed meats also eat processed meats.

There are actually alternatives to the processed bacon, hot dogs, etc. Just look for products that do not contain nitrates or nitrites. You can get them at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Grocery stores may even have them in their organic section.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
This just in.....Researchers find that the death rate is still
100%. Film at six.

Have a steak. Quality vs. quantity, etc. etc.

tbone_P1020136052610.jpg

My feelings exactly. And THAT is a paleo diet in my book, red meat over an open flame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back