OEM coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I filled up the coolant in both vehicles. The owners manual for each insisted that I use OEM product, so instead of paying $15 for a single gallon of Prestone, I paid $18 for a ga of Genuine Honda, and $26 for a ga of Toyota coolant. Both manuals insisted that not using OEM coolant would make my system liable to blah blah blah. I played it safe and bought their stuff, especially because for some fluids, the manuals did not insist on OEM stuff, so I figured that there might be special reasons for their being picky with coolant.

What do you guys do, for cars with manuals that insist on OEM product?

I use OE stuff only unless it the original was old green, then i use a neutral LL coolant like JD Cool Guard II.
There are so many types of materials used for components and gaskets/seals by the manufacturers that's its almost impossible for any coolant to be universal like it was 30 years ago.
You did right IMHO.

Originally Posted By: paulri
This week I filled up the coolant in both vehicles. The owners manual for each insisted that I use OEM product, so instead of paying $15 for a single gallon of Prestone, I paid $18 for a ga of Genuine Honda, and $26 for a ga of Toyota coolant. Both manuals insisted that not using OEM coolant would make my system liable to blah blah blah. I played it safe and bought their stuff, especially because for some fluids, the manuals did not insist on OEM stuff, so I figured that there might be special reasons for their being picky with coolant.

What do you guys do, for cars with manuals that insist on OEM product?

You're going to get as many opinions as there are people here on Bitog, but...

I only use OEM coolants in all my cars (Toyota red, BMW blue and Honda Type 2) and after all the miles on my cars the interiors of the cooling systems are pristine. I posted pictures of when I changed the timing belt and water pump on my old Sienna (300,000 miles) and it looks great.

I realize it may have looked just as great with aftermarket coolant but for the overall price I really can't say enough good things about the OEM ones I've used.

Depends on the product. If coolant, I use OE.

Really, most any coolant will work in most any engine (think of how many cars/trucks get "green" coolant at the dealer/mechanic shop and live a long life with regular service)- the caveat is that the cooling system must be completely flushed first and then, depending on the coolant, you may or may not be able to go the full recommended interval.

Some OE's are really picky about that because they are recommending very long intervals and not all coolants are up to that task. Depending on the chemistry, some coolants are only good for 2-3 years.

I agree with Trav. However, I have no problem using Zerex G05 instead of Ford or Mopar G05. At the first service interval, I do flush all the OEM coolant before going to the Zerex product.

I endorse the pennies saved/pounds foolish idea on many (not all) decisions.

I also know of local incidents of not being mindful of coolants to the extreme: putting car coolant in a diesel and cavitation ruining the engine (ag. equipment).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I agree with Trav. However, I have no problem using Zerex G05 instead of Ford or Mopar G05. At the first service interval, I do flush all the OEM coolant before going to the Zerex product.

I also know of local incidents of not being mindful of coolants to the extreme: putting car coolant in a diesel and cavitation ruining the engine (ag. equipment).

Valvoline is claiming that your Zerex is "automaker approved original chemistry used in newer Ford & Daimler Chrysler automotive and diesel engines," so that seems like a safe bet there.

Yeah I just didn't want to try to save $20-30, but risk serious damage to the engine. No point in being penny wise and pound foolish, as you said.

OK sounds like I should keep this up. thanks for the feedback.

On the other hand, Prestone makes a rather intersting claim about their own basic, generic coolant:
Prestone® Concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

Last edited:
I think you could have bought a gallon of Zerex Asian vehicle formula to top off both vehicles without any issues.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think you could have bought a gallon of Zerex Asian vehicle formula to top off both vehicles without any issues.

Perhaps, although I did call the parts department (the service department transferred me to the parts dept for both dealerships for these phone calls), and the guy said that I could use aftermarket coolant, but that it had to be phosphate free. The Valvoline Zerex Asian vehicle page says it does have a phosphate additive.

At any rate, buying a ga of that for $22 on amazon would have been less than a ga of Honda for $18, and another ga of Toyota for $26. But that is assuming that (1) the guy on the phone wasn't correct, or (2) the additive in Zerex is ok.

Recochem makes a full-strength concentrate of both Honda Blue and Toyota Pink. AFAIK, they're the ONLY company that makes those types in concentrate form, and you can get it at Pep Boys for only $20.

Another alternative for the Honda Blue is Pentofrost A3, which is 50/50 premix like OEM, and I think it may very well be rebottled OEM coolant. it's made in Japan, and under $15 a gallon at Napa.

For the Toyota Pink, there's Pentofrost A4, as well as Zerex Asian.

Peak Global Lifetime can probably be used on just about any car, and widely available at a great price.

I just did coolant change in both Subaru's and used the Subaru coolant along with their special coolant additive. One dealer nearby was same price as Amazon and even lower on the additive.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You're going to get as many opinions as there are people here on Bitog, but...

I only use OEM coolants in all my cars (Toyota red, BMW blue and Honda Type 2) and after all the miles on my cars the interiors of the cooling systems are pristine. I posted pictures of when I changed the timing belt and water pump on my old Sienna (300,000 miles) and it looks great.

I realize it may have looked just as great with aftermarket coolant but for the overall price I really can't say enough good things about the OEM ones I've used.

Kschachn, just sent you a PM about this.

They might. All I know is that the parts guy at one of those two local dealers told me I had to use phosphate free coolant.

Someone should make a chart of acceptable coolant substitutes for OEM. After all many engines/cooling systems are similar.

I have always been under the belief that Subaru's formula is unique and most unforgiving.
I've heard-and witnessed- they leak badly from dissolved gasketing due to wrong coolant.

I have always used OEM in my two Toyota's. 1999 Corolla still going with 274,000km, 2001 Tacoma PreRunner with 372,000km. Original water pump and rad still in both vehicles.

I use OEM stuff in Japanese cars due to some bad experiences in a 1994 Mitsubishi Expo and 1995 Honda Accord.

For Fords and Chryslers, I usually use Zerex G-05.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Valvoline is claiming that your Zerex is "automaker approved original chemistry used in newer Ford & Daimler Chrysler automotive and diesel engines," so that seems like a safe bet there.

Yeah I just didn't want to try to save $20-30, but risk serious damage to the engine. No point in being penny wise and pound foolish, as you said.

OK sounds like I should keep this up. thanks for the feedback.

On the other hand, Prestone makes a rather intersting claim about their own basic, generic coolant:
Prestone® Concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

They do claim that and it is what I use, though I'd never mix it to be safe. I do a complete flush with distilled water until the drain off is completely clear and then add the coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back