Full Synthetic SuperTech vs Halvoline vs Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
All three would be good for your Town Car, but my choice out of the three would be the Havoline because the price includes the P1 filter with the textured grip, the fact that you get quart bottles instead of the big jug, which means it's easier to pour and more convenient if you don't use all 5 quarts. Also, it's the only one that meets Honda's HTO-06 spec (even though it might not be relevant to your car, it is still a mark of quality since it's good for turbo and DI)

Occasionally, Oriellys has Havoline ProDS for $15 with filter after $10 rebate. I almost bought some for her car until I learned to use an A3/B3.

I'm sure it's a quality synthetic but it just didn't fit my current needs. Plus with it being a 7 qt sump, it's hard to take advantage of these awesome deals and still come out ahead.

Thanks for all the input and information so far everyone. Seems like the general consensus so far is havoline but really you can't go wrong with any one of them. Quite a few mentioned to stop using Lucas oil stabilizer so I will try without it next change. The reason I use that though is because the town car consumes about 2-2.5 QT of oil every 5k (ever since I bought the car with 99k) and the Lucas seems to slow that down to 1-1.5 Qt's every 5k. Also keep in mind that I live in Miami, FL where the weather is very hot and humid year around so a thicker blend is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Keep in mind that the Havoline DS Syn is only on special for this month at AAP. They may repeat this special sometime next year as I have seen it before! Next months special at AAP will be something else in either dino or syn, IDK! While the other oils mentioned from W*M,(STFS & ML Syn) are everyday priced!

All oils you[gallydif] mentioned are very good oils at a very good prices for sure. Don't overlook Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Syn(QSUD) at Walmart for ~$22/5qt jug, which is another very good oil. For those who want the even better syn oil(by reputation) at an even better value, though more money, Pennzoil Platinum w/Pure Plus(PPPP) at ~ $25/5qt jug at W*M.

Not to make this confusing, you can't go wrong with your choices!
smile.gif

Also, don't forget to use(when available) the rebates(usually $10) on QSUD & PPPP which will indeed make these full synthetic oils an absolute steal!

I want to point out what Char Baby said which could change the dynamics of everything. I did some research on those $10 rebates and in fact Pennzoil does currently have them for select oils.
A 5 Qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus full synthetic (PUPPP) at walmart regular price is $27.97. Factor in the $10 rebate and PUPPP comes out to $17.97. Yes, $17.97 for 5 Qt's! (in my opinion that stuff is as top of the line as the top of the line you can get).
A special thanks to char baby for that info.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Thanks for all the input and information so far everyone. Seems like the general consensus so far is havoline but really you can't go wrong with any one of them. Quite a few mentioned to stop using Lucas oil stabilizer so I will try without it next change. The reason I use that though is because the town car consumes about 2-2.5 QT of oil every 5k (ever since I bought the car with 99k) and the Lucas seems to slow that down to 1-1.5 Qt's every 5k. Also keep in mind that I live in Miami, FL where the weather is very hot and humid year around so a thicker blend is the way to go.

Keep in mind that the Havoline DS Syn is only on special for this month at AAP. They may repeat this special sometime next year as I have seen it before! Next months special at AAP will be something else in either dino or syn, IDK! While the other oils mentioned from W*M,(STFS & ML Syn) are everyday priced!

All oils you[gallydif] mentioned are very good oils at a very good prices for sure. Don't overlook Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Syn(QSUD) at Walmart for ~$22/5qt jug, which is another very good oil. For those who want the even better syn oil(by reputation) at an even better value, though more money, Pennzoil Platinum w/Pure Plus(PPPP) at ~ $25/5qt jug at W*M.

Not to make this confusing, you can't go wrong with your choices!
smile.gif

Also, don't forget to use(when available) the rebates(usually $10) on QSUD & PPPP which will indeed make these full synthetic oils an absolute steal!

I want to point out what Char Baby said which could change the dynamics of everything. I did some research on those $10 rebates and in fact Pennzoil does currently have them for select oils.
A 5 Qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus full synthetic (PUPPP) at walmart regular price is $27.97. Factor in the $10 rebate and PUPPP comes out to $17.97. Yes, $17.97 for 5 Qt's! (in my opinion that stuff is as top of the line as the top of the line you can get).
A special thanks to char baby for that info.

It would make since for you to go up a grade and use the maxlife to help with consumption. The Lucas was just raising your oil out of grade anyway but also diluting add pack and likely slowly sludging up. So go thicker with a high mileage like maxlife

A special thanks to char baby for that info. [/quote]

If you are using Lucas, you are just adding a thicker, non-detergent item that is diluting the additives within the oil. So you are actually making the oil less effective. The only thing I truly see happening with Lucas is that it will drop the temp in a transfer case... but that is it.

If you are having such a large oil consumption, I would not even both running a premium synthetic. You are burning through too much oil to take advantage of the extended drains. Run a quality conventional with the "high mileage" seal conditioner additives. You can jump up a weight as well (10w40) if you want. I think better seal conditioners in high mileage oil (and by not diluting it with Lucas), running 5000mi will slow the oil consumption. I think thee 4.6 will be fine with either 10w30 or 10w40, so your choice.

As for the brand of choice, Valvoline has a great high-mileage oil (Maxlife, Synblend). However, if you are going to add a qt or so per 5K, then even the cheaper options will be enough to help slow. Your choice there.

I purchased ST as well.
But it sits as I got Castrol Magnatec for a $1 more
on 5 qts and I'm using the full synthetic 5w-20

I have 3000 miles on it with a Mobil 1 Filter and I plan to run
it for awhile in a new 2L Mitsu

MPG is up over the factory fill by a good rate. Other than that I see no difference with anything else.

My dd is a 2000 Lincoln town car with 128.5k on it. I have always used synthetic blends (Castrol or Valvoline) and Purolator classic filters with OCI's of 5k. After doing a lot of research on here and youtube I will be upping the filter to the P P1 and picking one of the 3 synthetics above. I will also change to 6-7k OCI unless advised otherwise.

A 15 year old car that's been ran on conventional or blend oil its entire life, plus you don't have to worry about arctic cold starts, and you want to switch to synthetic now? Um, ok.

Best advice I would give would be to go back to a Motorcraft oil filter (they are excellent), and dont worry about synthetic oil. Conventional SuperTech and a Motorcraft oil filter will set you back $16 and be fine for 6K miles no problem. I doubt you will have the car for more than another few years, so it wont really matter at this point. Conventional Mobil Super 5000 oil is $12.88 at Wal-Mart if you want a name brand oil.

FL-820-S-oil-filter.jpg

k2-_72659211-7cfd-43c1-a095-1f24b2d349ab.v1.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My dd is a 2000 Lincoln town car with 128.5k on it. I have always used synthetic blends (Castrol or Valvoline) and Purolator classic filters with OCI's of 5k. After doing a lot of research on here and youtube I will be upping the filter to the P P1 and picking one of the 3 synthetics above. I will also change to 6-7k OCI unless advised otherwise.

A 15 year old car that's been ran on conventional or blend oil its entire life, plus you don't have to worry about arctic cold starts, and you want to switch to synthetic now? Um, ok.

Best advice I would give would be to go back to a Motorcraft oil filter (they are excellent), and dont worry about synthetic oil. Conventional SuperTech and a Motorcraft oil filter will set you back $16 and be fine for 6K miles no problem. I doubt you will have the car for more than another few years, so it wont really matter at this point. Conventional Mobil Super 5000 oil is $12.88 at Wal-Mart if you want a name brand oil.

FL-820-S-oil-filter.jpg

k2-_72659211-7cfd-43c1-a095-1f24b2d349ab.v1.jpg

+1

Plus I ran the Havoline in my 93 jeep Cherokee 4.0L 2wd for over 210k miles and it was fine. I bought the jeep with 127,000 miles on it too. Also I used Fram filters back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back