yaris rental - a very short review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented it over a few days,

Overall - loved it, mpg rocked even through I flogged it. acceleration was great. ergonomics rocked to.
Beats my honda fit hands down.

Thanks for the review.

BiL rents a VW Jetta and called it "twitchy". Now looking for a new car I told him to try another one.
He loved it. He selected a diesel.
Then the VW diesel scandal unfolded.
Car purchase on hold 'til Spring. Kira

I have to look up my gas purchase vs avis miles driven.
it had 9000 miles on it.
I rented another one few weeks later. that had 20k miles on and tx lic plate.

So a Yaris is now the hot ticket vs Versa/FIT/Spark/Sonic/Mirage/Verano/Mazda 2/Accent/Rio crowd?

My Fit rides like it's got hard plastic tires. Noisy....harsh....not smooth at all unless you are on new pavement. I have no clue why my test drive didn't reveal this to me. I must have been half asleep. I'll be buying some new tires next year in hopes of improving things a bit (not that the old ones are worn at 12,000 miles...I just hate the ride).
I really wish I would have gotten a Yaris or Corolla at this point.

Last edited:
What engine did the rented Yaris had?

I drove two different ones over here but hated it every time as it seemed to me that the engine was reeving and the car had no Go-Go...sort of like when you have a slippery clutch in a manual transmission

My family had nothing but Hondas about 3 years ago, I bought a 2001 Celica GT, and since after I rebuilt the engine, we have bought 10+ Toyotas.

From our experience the Honda has an amazing suspension setup and is very reliable but Toyota power-train is more reliable, we get better gas mileage and power.

my 2000/01/02 1ZZ-FEDs gets better mileage with a 4-speed auto and power compared to R18 with a 5-speed auto in our 06 honda civic.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
My Fit rides like it's got hard plastic tires. Noisy....harsh....not smooth at all unless you are on new pavement.

Should make a big difference esp if you get some nice quality tires on the car. Like Michelin, General RT43's or some Cooper CS5's. The tires on the car now are probably the cheapest the manufacturer could get a hold of.

Careful on the Corolla, my '13 with factory 16inch tires and rims is harsh. I even keep the pressure at 29 cold instead up up at say 32 cold for seeking mpg. It just goes "bam!" Over cracks in concrete streets or roads. Feels like the front is stiiiiif and tires transfer the impact right to the chassis. Only 12k miles so maybe it'll break in more?

One nice thing is that there is NO body roll when turning at a lively speed.... Other wise she is pretty rough riding.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My Fit rides like it's got hard plastic tires. Noisy....harsh....not smooth at all unless you are on new pavement.

Should make a big difference esp if you get some nice quality tires on the car. Like Michelin, General RT43's or some Cooper CS5's. The tires on the car now are probably the cheapest the manufacturer could get a hold of.
Yeah I have RT43's on my car and they're very squishy tires. Very soft.

My Fit rides like it's got hard plastic tires. Noisy....harsh....not smooth at all unless you are on new pavement. I have no clue why my test drive didn't reveal this to me. I must have been half asleep. I'll be buying some new tires next year in hopes of improving things a bit (not that the old ones are worn at 12,000 miles...I just hate the ride).

I hear you bro, the factory Dunlop were terrible, I went with Michelins.
horrible valve train noise, I will do a very short 5 year follow up on mine.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
My family had nothing but Hondas about 3 years ago, I bought a 2001 Celica GT, and since after I rebuilt the engine, we have bought 10+ Toyotas.

From our experience the Honda has an amazing suspension setup and is very reliable but Toyota power-train is more reliable, we get better gas mileage and power.

my 2000/01/02 1ZZ-FEDs gets better mileage with a 4-speed auto and power compared to R18 with a 5-speed auto in our 06 honda civic.

I am afraid I will have to agree, I had a 2006 sienna, I have 7 new Honda and 1 new Toyota and 5 used Toyotas

Originally Posted By: Andy636

I drove two different ones over here but hated it every time as it seemed to me that the engine was reeving and the car had no Go-Go...sort of like when you have a slippery clutch in a manual transmission

1.5 liter? not sure bro, I just pick up and drive it like a stole it and then refill gas and hop back on a plane.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
So a Yaris is now the hot ticket vs Versa/FIT/Spark/Sonic/Mirage/Verano/Mazda 2/Accent/Rio crowd?

actually true,
I have had, mazda, kia, ford and Nissan (bare bones) till now.
I rent the cheapest avis has to save my client $$. So pretty much they are all of the same class.
best mpg (based of gas bought) was toyo till now. I drive nearly the exact route every time.

Michelin Premiers if you stick with the stock size. Those are the best all-season available at the moment. They're quiet, ride very smoothly, and stick like glue in the wet.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

1.5 liter? not sure bro, I just pick up and drive it like a stole it and then refill gas and hop back on a plane.

The US Yaris has come with the 1.5L 1NZ-FE as the only engine since it was introduced here.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

1NZ-FE, same engine they've been using for 15+ years now.

It's as reliable as the sunrise.

Yup. The Yaris has a good , reliable powertrane combination. The extremely reliable engine and 4 speed auto they have been using forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back