Havoline Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
While looking around on AMAZON this AM I came across some Havoline Mercon V trans fluid. 12 qts. for $58.11 with FREE 2 day shipping.
Anyone ever use HMV trans fluid?
I don't need to do any trans service right now but was just passing on some, IMO, probably a great Mercon V fluid. It's made by Chevron so it has to be good.
Opinions?
thumbsup2.gif

Hello, You asked for opinions.

If you need Mercon V and you like the price....buy it.

I've been buying discontinued Mercon V products (due to updated labeling etc.) for my friend and his son's Fords. Their '97 F-150 and '04 Explorer both were superseded to Mercon V. For the life of me I cannot remember what was originally called for.

Both vehicles got a pan drop, new filter and about half the fluid changed. The '97 had ~60K and the '04 Explo had ~50K.
Both fluids were comparably dark. Neither vehicle exhibited any difference in operation but that's OK. Kira

chevron lists it as a highly refined oil while kendall versatrans and conoco phillips are labeled synthetic blend. out of the three i chose the versatrans because it meets toyota, honda, ect ect specs as well as mercon v telling me its a little bit better than plain merc v.

the havoline may be just fine but i would use the kendall or conoco as conoco phillips is the producer for motorcraft mercon v(kendall is under conoco phillips brand).

58.50 shipped for the kendall versatrans on amazon from Petroleum Service Company.
and 53.22 shipped for the conoco mercon v.
prime not needed.
both are synthetic blend

Last edited:
I've just used the cheapest fluid. Got some Valvoline last year at Autozone when it was $1 on clearance. Normally Supertech Mercon V at Walmart is around $4.27 a quart so it's just cheaper to go to Walmart and buy it when you need it. Even $53.22 works out to $4.43. I normally only need about 7 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I've just used the cheapest fluid. Got some Valvoline last year at Autozone when it was $1 on clearance. Normally Supertech Mercon V at Walmart is around $4.27 a quart so it's just cheaper to go to Walmart and buy it when you need it. Even $53.22 works out to $4.43. I normally only need about 7 quarts.

Wolf, I too have used WMST Mercon V in the past with no problems. In fact, WMST and Castrol (the only 2 that are not Motorcraft) Mercon V fluids carry the Ford approved label/stamp. There might be others but I have never seen them.

Originally Posted By: jmaster
chevron lists it as a highly refined oil while kendall versatrans and conoco phillips are labeled synthetic blend.
no difference nowadays

lots and lots of people use maxlife and are very happy with it. that being said, it not rated or approved for mercon v, lv, dex 6, ect, ect. its tested by valvoline to meet those specs but not approved(licensed) by the oem's.

the fact that they approve it for mercon v and dexron vi tells me its a "does everything ok" oil. i have not seen many atf's that cover both those specs, usually its one or the other, not both. i would call valvoline and try to talk to an engineer/formulator to see if its right for your application. i personally would stay away from it if you need a dexron vi oil. for merc/dex and mercon v should be alright as those are easy spec's to meet.

Last edited:
IMO...To meet the Mercon V spec or be a Mercon V approved ATF fluid the fluid has to be synthetic, or highly refined hydrocracked oil.

Synthetic is usually severely hydrocracked goup III.

Originally Posted By: jmaster
lots and lots of people use maxlife and are very happy with it. that being said, it not rated or approved for mercon v, lv, dex 6, ect, ect. its tested by valvoline to meet those specs but not approved(licensed) by the oem's.

the fact that they approve it for mercon v and dexron vi tells me its a "does everything ok" oil. i have not seen many atf's that cover both those specs, usually its one or the other, not both. i would call valvoline and try to talk to an engineer/formulator to see if its right for your application. i personally would stay away from it if you need a dexron vi oil. for merc/dex and mercon v should be alright as those are easy spec's to meet.

Valvoline states Maxlife FS ATF will not void warranties in new cars. I just switched over my 08 silverado from Dex-VI to Maxlife FS ATF and it has never shifted better.

It is a quality Synthetic ATF at a great price. My father also uses it in and F150 6R80 calling for Mercon LV and it does excellent in that Application as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back