Tytan - Hyd oil vs. gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting this for a friend. The data plate on his tractor states:
Engine oil 15-40W, Tranny - 90W, Running gears 90W, Hyd 10W or AW46.

The question, they believe the hydraulic and running gear share the same reservoir so which lube oil would he use in the hydraulics?? I am more involved on the industrial lube side but do know that 90W is not the equivalent Vg as AW 46.

As stated in the header of the post it is a 2005 Tytan model 324.
Thank you for your time!

Ramblejam, I appreciate your response. The confusion still lies with the data plate information and the referenced lube in the manual, see above. The data plate references 90W - for tranny & running gears - equivalent Vg @ 40C is 150-220 cTs, not 55vg as Mobilith 424 - stated on website. It may be utilized for the hydraulics but it is the same reservoir for Hydraulics and "running gears".

You're thinking way too much into this...

Case in point -- this from the manual:

"We use Mobil #424 which is special for this function. John Deere 303 is the only other suggested oil that meets these standards."

Whether it's due to poor translation or another factor, that simply makes no sense whatsoever.

My recommendation is a good quality UTF of your choosing.

I'm sure most of these tractors get run with UTF here, and its probably far better oil than the manufacturer was expecting. Also I'd be more worried about the viscosity numbers at 100C, which is where most UTF equals a thick 80W gear oil.
I'd run a true gear oil in the front axle though.
There are some true universal tractor fluids that can be run in the motor and the trans/hyd reservoir. A 15W40 version of that would get you your 90W gear oil equivalent. I think these are more common in developing countries where sometimes "oil is oil". I've never seen one here though. Spirax is a thicker UTF and the synthetics usually are thicker as well at 100C.
I'm going with Petro Canada Duratran or Duratran Syn on my next change but for their cold weather properties.

For the sake of clarity on my above recommendation...

Engine: 15w-40
Everything Else: Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF)

Originally Posted By: Bassnjunky
The confusion still lies with the data plate information and the referenced lube in the manual, see above. The data plate references 90W - for tranny & running gears - equivalent Vg @ 40C is 150-220 cTs, not 55vg as Mobilith 424 - stated on website. It may be utilized for the hydraulics but it is the same reservoir for Hydraulics and "running gears".

Bass, I can see where you are coming from. I perfectly understand your concern , which no doubt is really valid ........ from the perspective of wear protection for mechanical components on oil selection.

On the plate indicates :-
a)the tranny and gear trains require ISO 220 or 150 gear oils;
b)the hydraulics spec'ed at ISO 46.

It appears to me the mobilube 424 is a superior product . It has far better performance spec than ISO 46, however it's operating viscosity would be far too inadequate against ISO 220 or 150 gear oils.Besides it lacks EP additives for gears.Hence I would rule out this UTF mobilube for the common sump in your context.

IMO, a gear oil of proper grade in the common sump would provide an operating viscosity that offers superior wear protection to the tranny , gear trains AND the hydraulic components.

However do bear in mind that the ISO 220 gear oil's operating viscosity may be high enough, during morning cold operation, as to make the hydraulic actuators lethargic in operation.

In the balance of things, I would recommend you to consider a thinnish ISO 150 (AGMA 4EP) or a thickish ISO 100 (AGMA 3EP) gears to strike a balance in the common sump.

JMO.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Couple things...

Discussing viscosity is fine -- heck, it makes up a good chunk of the traffic on this forum. With that said, you need to keep things in context, and here, it means absolutely nothing; Tytan have interchangeably recommended a variety of fluids (424, JD 303, 90W, AW46) for the same application.

Modern UTF's are recommended by most Tractor OEM's for service in everything but the engine (this includes axles, transmissions, and hydraulics). Discounting it because of viscosity or EP additives is a nonstarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back