Kia Spectra manual transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a manual transmission fluid that anyone might recommend for a front wheel drive Kia that specs a 75-85 gl-4 gear fluid? No one local carries it or even heard of it, and mostly what I find online is Redline, which I'm sure is good. Not sure if the factory fill is synthetic or not, but seeing as how the car has 100,000 miles and it has never been changed, I may have to run a change through it to flush out the old factory stuff. Is there a gl-5 that is known to be very easy on the yellow metals? I would like to switch it to synthetic for the smoother shifts, but I seem to remember seeing a test on a website where the Lucas synthetic was about the most corrosive on yellow metals out of the whole group being tested. If need be I can go to the dealer, but would like to see what you guys may suggest. I would like to run a fill of cheaper synthetic gl-5 gear oil due to availability and low cost just clean out the gearbox, but I don't want to try anything without checking with you guys first!!!

Last edited:
I would echo the use of Redline MT-85 and I wouldn't do any kind of flush drain of the gear oil in there now. The Red Line is about $14/qt. where it's available here but IMO would be worth the money considering the limited non GL-5 alternatives.

The standard OEM GL-4 gear oil in my '13 Accent is a semi-synthetic but I think the dealer wants about the same price as the Red Line. It might be worth investigating.

Originally Posted By: mech_tech
Is there a gl-5 that is known to be very easy on the yellow metals? I would like to switch it to synthetic for the smoother shifts, but I seem to remember seeing a test on a website where the Lucas synthetic was about the most corrosive on yellow metals out of the whole group being tested. If need be I can go to the dealer, but would like to see what you guys may suggest. I would like to run a fill of cheaper synthetic gl-5 gear oil due to availability and low cost just clean out the gearbox, but I don't want to try anything without checking with you guys first!!!

Do NOT use anything but a GL-4 only fluid! That includes staying away from things like GL-4+, GL4/5 ect.

RP's 75W90 meets GL4 if the 90 is "close enough." Can be around $12 from Advance with the right coupons and fillers.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
RP's 75W90 meets GL4 if the 90 is "close enough." Can be around $12 from Advance with the right coupons and fillers.

I don't see RP stating that this product is GL-4 spec anywhere on their site. I would stay away from this.

There was a couple threads on same thing. Molakule has a lot of info on it.

Any issues your trying to correct or not happy with or just changing to refresh?

My Sonata $ucked to try and get into second when cold (below 30 degrees) when it was new but I'm in NY. I switched to BG Synchroshift II which was better but still not great. I'm now on the MT-85 which I think is slightly worse than the BG but still better than factory. My next try based on Molakule's information will be Pentosin MTF2. Hyundai has a TSB for Genesis Coupes in Canada and other places to switch to that based on complaints of cold weather shift issues. They even list doing a flush with it to get rid of factory fill iirc.

All of the fluids I tried including factory worked fine in temps above 40 degrees.

I had experience with the BG from a friend that worked at BMW. They used it when they had complaints of shifting issues. I had a Corolla that had gone through MANY fluid changes (some probably GL5) dino and syn and tranny would grind lightly between shifts at higher RPM and downshifts off highway. 2 shops said it would need rebuild so I figured what did I have to lose trying it. 30 miles after switch to BG and my grind was gone for the next 100k until car was totaled (and still shifted better than the Sonata).

Pentosin MTF2

Last edited:
No problems with the car that I am aware of, just catching up on maintenance for a friend before winter comes along. I just figure the original lube has seen its better days by now, and typically down on the gulf coast the weather during the winter is constantly turning cold then hot, cold then hot, so I just want something that will give a smooth shift no matter what the temperature is.

Just drain and refill. Don't work about a 'flush' 'rinse' or whatever.

GM, Nissan, Mopar, Kia, Hyundai, Redline, Mitsubishi... have a GL4 75w85.

we're using Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 GL-4 when we service the Hyundais. No issues at all.

GL-5 oils areon the thicker end of the grade, and cause bad shifting performance. We use Castrol Universal 75W-90 GL5 for rear differentials (without LS).

After calling the dealer and asking, they couldn't even tell me what bulk oil they use, all they knew was that is wasn't the same as the manual recommends...so I decided to go with the Redline. I was told I could order some Kia oil in quart bottles, but I would have to order at least one case!!! Should I be aware of any difference that the synthetic might make? Should this drain and fill be good for at least 50,000 miles? This is my first time messing with a front wheel drive, so not sure what is considered normal for servicing.

Redline MT85 should be good for 50k miles.

Make sure you get new washer/gaskets for the drain/refill plugs. Also use a torque wrench.

A dealer that doesn't know what the bulk fluid is, and what is required, should be avoided. Try another dealer.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The correct redline product is MT-85

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

There is no need to "clean out" the gearbox; use a GL-4 fluid.

thumbsup2.gif

That's what I would recommend as well. It is a dedicated GL-4 MTF of the correct viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back