New F-150 5.0 Coyote V8 first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a brand new 2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 SCREW with the Coyote V8. I'm planning to do the first oil change but with which oil? Spec is 5W20. I'm going to change it at 2000kms (like I've done with every car I've had in the past)

Does Ford use synthetic in the factory fill? Should I go Synthetic? I'm thinking PP 5W20

Thanks in advance

I have a cousin who had a 2008 mustang gt that was supercharged and he drove it like it was stolen for 5 years and he used only motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic and the inside of the motor was immaculate

When my truck was under warranty I let the dealer change it with MC 5w20 blend and MC filter, this way it would be fully documented for warranty issues. After warranty, I would have no issue what so ever continuing with the same brands for DIY changes, if the MC oil was not so over priced around here. As it is, the above advice is very good. Any oil that meets the Ford spec is fine- perfect. I personally have run QSUD, PP, and MC with no difference. Next change will be M1 with 0w20 and 5w20 mixed.

Also, a lot of guys are running 5w30's without problems... But I would avoid that during warranty.

I've been running around with grape juice in mine and the truck runs great noticed it was a little noisier when I put in the first change with the purple stuff but soon disappeared I have 26k on the clock and next change will be pup or valvoline syn but guarantee there will be no difference just stick with a decent synthetic since the oci is 10k and good filter an you won't go wrong hope you enjoy your ford as much as I have

Congrats on the new truck!

Factory fill is MC Semi 5W20.

PP is a good choice. I have been running PP 5W20 in my F150 5.0L.
As for filters you can't beat MC. NG is also another good option.

Enjoy the new truck!

Thank You all who replied

I picked up a MC Filter and PP 5W20 just now.

The truck is awesome... The 5.0 Coyote is a sweet motor, and with 3.73 gears..its fast

Sounds soo good, like the Mustang, with the Gibson Exhaust recently installed

Suprisingly quick for a full size truck. I have the 5.0L with 3.55's and (especially with an open diff) its definitely traction limited, not power. Bet those 3.73's are nice.

My folks have the 3.5L EB with the shallower gearing (3.23?). That thing scoots, too but only gets 2-3mpg better... which I figure could be mostly the gearing.

You do not need to change the factory fill until about 8,000 kilometers or 5,000 miles. I would definitely keep the factory fill in there longer than 2,000 kilometers to ensure proper break-in.

Factory fill is Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20. Go with any synthetic blend or full synthetic that meets Ford specs.

I run Motorcraft blend 5W-20 in my 14 Mustang GT and have from the beginning. 16,000 miles on it now and it runs great.

I changed the original oil fill at 4,600 miles and one year from the manufacturer date of the car.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Why?
It's not. You can run a conventional with the Ford spec out to 10,000 miles. Any reputable synthetic that meets the spec will be just fine and probably overkill.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Thugzy said:
Why?
It's not. You can run a conventional with the Ford spec out to 10,000 miles. Any reputable synthetic that meets the spec will be just fine and probably overkill. [/quote

Ford's oil life monitor was designed with Motorcraft synthetic blend. I'm sure Ford would much rather you use a synthetic blend or synthetic with the oil life monitor. NO WAY I would trust a conventional as far as my Ford OLMs take me. It takes me almost 10,000 before a change on the Taurus & the trucks signal at 6,000-7,000 with a lot of light to medium towing. I always use a blend or full synthetic. If I wanted to use conventional then I'd change it before the OLM told me to.

Ford just lists a spec you should use. Unless you're doing UOAs we're all just guessing about how long to run a certain oil. 2015_PSD ran Mobil conventional for 10K and it looked OK in a 5.4. We like to overdo things here. Using the cheapest oil you can find with the spec and changing when the OLM says probably does just as good as all of our more exotic thinking.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

Ford's oil life monitor was designed with Motorcraft synthetic blend. I'm sure Ford would much rather you use a synthetic blend or synthetic with the oil life monitor. NO WAY I would trust a conventional as far as my Ford OLMs take me. It takes me almost 10,000 before a change on the Taurus & the trucks signal at 6,000-7,000 with a lot of light to medium towing. I always use a blend or full synthetic. If I wanted to use conventional then I'd change it before the OLM told me to.

Actually the IOLM is calibrated to whatever oil meets the Ford spec. Be that synthetic or conventional. There is nothing in the owners manuals or any service documentation on synthetic blend, full synthetic, or conventional. Only that the oil needs to meet the Ford spec.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Branson304

Actually the IOLM is calibrated to whatever oil meets the Ford spec. Be that synthetic or conventional. There is nothing in the owners manuals or any service documentation on synthetic blend, full synthetic, or conventional. Only that the oil needs to meet the Ford spec.

Yep, and with that, I will use a Semi at the very minimum due to the IOLM and the lengths it can run. Just my personal preference, thus I use PP. I would not run a conventional oil for up to 16,000KM the IOLM could bring you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back