I am not giving up my drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
That thing seems to only attempt to take the anguish out of pulling a plug and filling up with oil and popping the plug back in.

One can only suspect it will cost way more than its gonna prove to be worth anyway imo. I'll stick with the way the good lord intended it to be done.

Quote:
A key test is whether the oil delivers smooth handling, braking and accelerating.

I will be interested to see how engine oil affects handling and braking.

Seems like maybe they're going to have some sort of removable oil sump?

I don't know, maybe its just me, but I've done a 90 second oil change. Granted it took a guy with the right amount of oil, sitting in the engine bay, but that spill and fill was 87 seconds tires off to tires on the ground. Rotate too.
That's what happens in the dead of winter when you have 6 guys with nothing to do

The only thing I can think of is moving the mass of the oil and this "cassette" from it's position down low to a higher location.

Frankly, with some engineering, it could make it easier for designers to lower the engine, ultimately lowering the C/G of the car. After all, the sump, even with it's oil is likely one of the least dense portions of the engine. So being able to drop the mass of the engine lower into the car may more than offset putting this oil cassette higher in the engine bay.

With some thought, this could improve handling
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Quote:
A key test is whether the oil delivers smooth handling, braking and accelerating.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I don't know, maybe its just me, but I've done a 90 second oil change. Granted it took a guy with the right amount of oil, sitting in the engine bay, but that spill and fill was 87 seconds tires off to tires on the ground. Rotate too.
That's what happens in the dead of winter when you have 6 guys with nothing to do

Spill-n-Fill !! Perfect name for a franchise chain of oil change places. Cuz WiffyWube is already taken....

^^agreed, I gotta work my courage up.

Also, that cnbc clip contained no information.
All it said was that there's a new way to change motor oil coming. The accompanying pictures were of a guy changing oil the regular way. Kira

If you had a valve on the drain, located where bottoming out would not shear it off, and a good oil filter location, and a bigger easy to open filler, it would be easy.

open hood. Open filler. Guy on bottom, attach vacuum hose to drain open drain. Remove filter. Close valve. Tell guy on top to dump in oil. Install filter. Remove vacuum line.

30 seconds Max. If you use the Mahle lifetime oil filter in the pan technology, then 15 seconds.

Now think of the unemployment at the quick lube places. Oh the horror.

BFD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
The only thing I can think of is moving the mass of the oil and this "cassette" from it's position down low to a higher location.

Frankly, with some engineering, it could make it easier for designers to lower the engine, ultimately lowering the C/G of the car. After all, the sump, even with it's oil is likely one of the least dense portions of the engine. So being able to drop the mass of the engine lower into the car may more than offset putting this oil cassette higher in the engine bay.

With some thought, this could improve handling
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Quote:

good thought

Originally Posted By: Kira
^^agreed, I gotta work my courage up.

Also, that cnbc clip contained no information.

Hey, real journalism is HARD!
wink.gif

This system sounds like a 'solution' in search of a problem...

Just like DEF, CVT transmissions, collision avoidance,etc., the technology is coming.

And will be resisted here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Just like DEF, CVT transmissions, collision avoidance,etc., the technology is coming.

CVT has been in scooters as small as 50cc since at least the early 80s. That's how they have "automatic transmission" in such a small package. It's highly reliable and easy to work on. It's funny how people have been so resistant to them in cars, just because it's something "new" to them.

Larger ones (over 400cc, I think) such as the Suzuki Burgman 650 in more recent years have a more robust (complicated) CVT, probably closer to the design of a car's:

Suzuki_650_Burgman_transmission_stpz.jpg

The Burgman 400 has a more simplistic CVT, like a 50cc-250cc.

IMG_8242.JPG

And for good reason. When a lot people spend tens of thousands on a new machine they expect mature technology that's proven. Let other buyers spend their money to test new tech that may or may not be in the next generation.

I remember when the resistance was over Automatic Transmissions and Power Steering.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back