microGreen Filters - 30K OCI - UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
After almost two years, 30,000 miles, three MG filters, and 1.5 quarts of Mazda w/moly makeup oil, here it is. The original fill was M1 0W-20 AFE. Not stellar, but not terrible, either. The vehicle is a 2012 Mazda 3 w/Skyactiv engine (GDI). Perhaps, I'll just go 20,000 miles and leave it at that. Please comment!

Mi on oil 30,000
Mi on Unit 52,250
Sample Date 10/2/15
Make Up Oil Added 1.5 qt
Aluminum 12
Chromium 2
Iron 50
Copper 6
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 295
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 60
Silicon 55
Sodium 8
Calcium 1533
Magnesium 457
Phosphorous 596
Zinc 820
Barium 0
SUS Visc @ 210F 56.5
cSt at 100C 9.20
Flashpoint (F) 370
Fuel % 0.8
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 2.1

less than 2ppm Iron per 1,000 miles. Not bad, but, what does the same engine yield in a less extreme OCI? Is the wear linear?

Very little fuel dilution, surprising considering other UOA's and DI-high-compression's reputation.
For some comparison on the same engine:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2925723 and also http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2804951
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3007154
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3009624/Re:_PP_0w20,_4327_miles,_2012_#Post3009624

You did great. I'm not sure what the Blackstone "Universal Average" is for iron, but yours seems about right for 30,000 miles. TBN was surviving OK, the microgreens kept insolubles down, and oxidation creeped up only a small amount to make this a light "30"-grade oil in the end, no problems here. (I think the microgreen company gets reports about this decent all the time, so they are on to something & now we know it.)

1.5 qts make-up oil in 30,000 miles, including with filter changes, is perfect.

I'd be interested to know what VI this oil had halfway through and at change time.

I know California state government vehicles might be mandated to go on this kind of "oil diet", change every 30k miles, oil filters changed more often, etc., to save waste oil and maintenance costs; or a 1-year oil change mandate, something to conserve.

Last edited:
I will do a 20,000 mile run next with the MG filters and test. We'll see.

This car does not require makeup oil throughout the OCI. The 0.5 qt I added at each filter change was just to compensate for what was stuck in the filter.

That is over 3 times what my truck calls for, almost 4 times actually. How did you decide to run it that long, did you just get periodic UOA or...?

The only concern is the viscosity increase.

A UOA at 20,000 seems sound.

Personally, I would have topped up with the same oil.

This is good. This points to some day soon having a 100K oil change and service interval for new cars. It's already there and beyond for belts, plugs, tranny service, cooling system service and so on. Now they just need to step up the oil, various filters and it's done.

Wowza, I hope you are cutting open those 3 filters... Please

Of oil is being recycled why should California care how often you change it?

I'm assuming car is/was out of warranty?

I'm curious how you decided on such a long run. I don't think you did any harm but still surprising for a bitoger.

I'm really surprised that the TBN was still 2.1

Originally Posted By: Benito

KV100 went from 8.7 (new oil) to 9.2 (30,000 mile oil).
J300 for a "20" is 5.6 to 9.2, so it was still a 20 after all.
Not much change. Then consider 30k miles. I'd rather it go up than go down to fuel dilution and/or VII breakdown shearing.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Of oil is being recycled why should California care how often you change it?
That is IF its recycled. A lot of it is not according to some studies. Also, the California thing I mentioned is really for conservation combined with cost cutting in government fleets.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I'm really surprised that the TBN was still 2.1
I'm thinking that's due to the make-up oil in half quart increments being added 3 times during the OCI. Got to get the credit.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

KV100 went from 8.7 (new oil) to 9.2 (30,000 mile oil).
J300 for a "20" is 5.6 to 9.2, so it was still a 20 after all.
Not much change. Then consider 30k miles. I'd rather it go up than go down to fuel dilution and/or VII breakdown shearing.

Oil going thicker is a sign of oxidation. Since it probably sheared first, it didn't go from 8.7 to 9.2 but probably went to 9.2 from a number lower than 8.7, all due to oxidation.

Go 40k or more using M1EP, MPT, SynMax, OilExtreme, Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple....

30k in two years is plenty of highway driving. Not much stress?!

Wear numbers look high but average out well for the 30k run. PPM wear per thousand miles is just fine.

Normal PH3614 sized filter? Is there room for a PH3600 sized filter? A little more filtration area, a little more oil sump, and ... 50k or 3 year run is within reach

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Normal PH3614 sized filter? Is there room for a PH3600 sized filter? A little more filtration area, a little more oil sump, and ... 50k or 3 year run is within reach

The whole point is that the MicroGreen oil filter filters smaller dirt out, allows 30k OCI. Regular oil filters don't do that or claim to.

Oil going thicker is a sign of oxidation. Since it probably sheared first, it didn't go from 8.7 to 9.2 but probably went to 9.2 from a number lower than 8.7, all due to oxidation.
Good point, it could have dipped down viscosity, then steadily ramped up as it oxidized. Thats most of what scares me about 30k OCI's with microgreens. Sure the oil filter works better, but the VII chemicals get pounded for a very long time. Yet worked out well here, although wondering if cold start performance was degraded.

Very impressive OCI! In an engine that I've seen some BITOGers claim is very hard on oil and you shouldn't go past 5k. Amazing.

Here are a couple of tidbits to answer questions/concerns.

The oil filter size happens to be approximately the same diameter as the OEM Mazda filter for Skyactiv, except it's a bit taller to accommodate the bypass filter assembly.

I can't really comment on cold start performance because it doesn't get that cold here and my car is garaged. Never noticed any issues at all with starting.

M1 0W-20 EP was not available to me when I started this, but that is what I have in there for round 2. I kept checking the rocker area for any signs of varnish and there was none. Not sure if that really means anything. I happened to have a couple of odd quarts of the Mazda oil on hand so I would assume that is where the moly came from in the UOA.

I am gratified to see that there was no appreciable fuel dilution; and, this was running on 87 octane regular. That takes a little of the air out of the argument that premium fuel is needed for this engine to reduce fuel dilution.

This is where the sulvation, oxidation, nitration numbers would be nice to see before and after to get the story straight.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I am gratified to see that there was no appreciable fuel dilution; and, this was running on 87 octane regular. That takes a little of the air out of the argument that premium fuel is needed for this engine to reduce fuel dilution.

That would be a bad assumption. You could still have fuel dilution offset by oxidation. You don't have all the information to make that guess one way or the other.

^Point taken, however, I am not going to buy premium fuel. I was wondering if my comment to that effect was going to get a response from you. LOL.

I'm running the M1 EP now. I'll do a UOA at 20,000 and see what the results are. Even if 20K became the OCI I used it is still a reduction in material use and time spent.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That would be a bad assumption. You could still have fuel dilution offset by oxidation. You don't have all the information to make that guess one way or the other.

Blackstone's 0.8 fuel dilution result is wrong then? Me not understanding your statement I guess. Test result said not much fuel dilution.
If you're referring to the 0.5 (small) rise in KV100 at the end, you could say the oxidation was offset by VII breakdown in all likelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back