2015 Ford Coyote 5.0 L Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys -

Anyone running something other than 5W-20 in their Coyote motor? Thus is my second Ford V-8, but my first modern one.

Part of me says stick with the manual's reccomendation, but the other part wonders about 5W-30 or 0-40 since I live on Austin, Texas and we have very hot summers.

I used to use Motul 5W-40 in my 2004 Porsche 911 - it was really good stuff and had good UOAs.

Rob

Originally Posted By: robrich
Hi Guys -

Anyone running something other than 5W-20 in their Coyote motor? Thus is my second Ford V-8, but my first modern one.

Part of me says stick with the manual's reccomendation, but the other part wonders about 5W-30 or 0-40 since I live on Austin, Texas and we have very hot summers.

I used to use Motul 5W-40 in my 2004 Porsche 911 - it was really good stuff and had good UOAs.

Rob

Unless your engine is air-cooled, ambient temps have nothing to do with how hot oil gets. Your cooling system keeps the high temps in check, regardless of how hot it is outside. Stick with 5 or 0w20.

That engine with minor differences calls for a 5w-50 in the faster mustangs.

However from experience with my friends mustang you've really gotta heat up the oil for the castration mechanisms to start up,and as soon as you're out of the pedal the oil temps start dropping and drop fast.
I'm not of the belief that there is a one size fits all when it comes to oil,though one size does fit most.
How do you drive the vehicle. Is it constant high rev.pedal down and hold on,or do you drive like a human being.
If you drive like a human being you gain nothing by going thicker. The engine was designed to use thinner lubricants and only specify thicker grades in the cery demanding high stress applications.
A 10w-30 sure won't hurt,however there will be a slight hit I'm responsiveness with light throttle inputs however there isn't any gain to be had in relation to wear.
That being said I've got a charger RT. I do drive pedal to the metal more often than not. Shifts at 5500rpm,holding gears to high rpm. So I use a 0w-40 in mine.
With light throttle inputs the engine is slightly more sluggish though I have t seen an mpg loss,though I'm sure there is one.
Ambient temps mean little to a modern engine except during cold starts. Real cold starts. Once running and up to operating temp ambient isn't really relevant,except for really cold temps where there MIGHT be a slight decrease in oil temps.
So decide for yourself. You've got pretty much all the facts you need to make an informed decision.

How big is the sump? In the Mustangs I think the Coyote holds something like 8 liters of oil. Surely with that much oil to absorb the heat even 5w-20 will be OK.

The 5w20 is fine because the ecu can cut power if anything gets too hot. The mustangs that call for 5w50 with the track pack will never cut power even if you over heat it, which is why they need some viscosity reserve.

Use 5W-20 with no worries. I'm pretty sure Ford knew what they were doing when they recommended 5W-20 for the engine they built. They know what's best for the engines they build. No 5.0Ls but I run the recommended 5W-20 in all my Fords from 0 degree cold starts to 110 degree summers. Problem free.

Hi Guys -

Rob

I've got the 5.0 in my 2013 F150 and right now am using a 50/50 mix of 0w30 and 0w20. Once the 20 is used up it will be 0w30 or 5w30.

I made the decision in part due to the Mustang's recommendation of 5w50; but also due to the lurking I did on some F150 forums. Guys there were using 30 weights with no issues. I also read that many of the older 5.4s that used 20wt oils were torn down and showed a lot of bearing wear-this from an engine builder that had done several rebuilds and inspections. With the 5.0's long timing chain plus the chance of more rapid bearing wear, that was enough for me to make the decision. I did not notice a change in mpg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Hi Guys -

Rob

I've got the 5.0 in my 2013 F150 and right now am using a 50/50 mix of 0w30 and 0w20. Once the 20 is used up it will be 0w30 or 5w30.

I made the decision in part due to the Mustang's recommendation of 5w50; but also due to the lurking I did on some F150 forums. Guys there were using 30 weights with no issues. I also read that many of the older 5.4s that used 20wt oils were torn down and showed a lot of bearing wear-this from an engine builder that had done several rebuilds and inspections. With the 5.0's long timing chain plus the chance of more rapid bearing wear, that was enough for me to make the decision. I did not notice a change in mpg.

I've had several modular motors apart and in everyone of them the bearings still looked like new even with high mileage. The timing chains get loose and the guides break before anything else from my experience. I've seen engines ran on 5w20 and 30wts. Same story.

5w20 is perfectly fine for a modular ford. OP stick with the 5w20 and sleep well at night. The engine will still be running well long after you loose interest in the car.

If I had a Coyote motor I would run a 20wt oil in it. Less viscous drag and better cooling with the thinner oils. Plus you have 8.5qts of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Hi Guys -

Rob

I've had several modular motors apart and in everyone of them the bearings still looked like new even with high mileage. The timing chains get loose and the guides break before anything else from my experience. I've seen engines ran on 5w20 and 30wts. Same story.

5w20 is perfectly fine for a modular ford. OP stick with the 5w20 and sleep well at night. The engine will still be running well long after you loose interest in the car.

If I had a Coyote motor I would run a 20wt oil in it. Less viscous drag and better cooling with the thinner oils. Plus you have 8.5qts of oil.

This has been my experience as well. My old 2v's bearings certainly didn't look like they had 300000 on them when I tore it apart and I sprayed nitrous for the last 100000. Anywhere from a 75hp shot to 175hp shot.
I did have to replace the guides though at 200000.

Sounds like in your cases (donnyj08, Clevy) that a 20wt oil had no detrimental effect. That is good to hear.

If I ever hit the lotto, there will be an oil test with engine breakdown, with at least 2 identical vehicles.

Last edited:
Stick with the 20w it works well for 99% of daily drivers my truck sees alot of towing and the oil holds up just fine in my uoa's

Last edited:
I have a 2013 GT 5.0 that I bought with about 7,000 miles on the clock last year and the dealer did a fresh oil change of M-craft 5w20 before delivery. The car had a tendency to drink about a quart+ every 3,000 miles so I decided to switch to Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and I notice no running difference other then the fact I now use less then half a quart in 3,000 miles. I think I will stick with the M1 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have a 2013 GT 5.0 that I bought with about 7,000 miles on the clock last year and the dealer did a fresh oil change of M-craft 5w20 before delivery. The car had a tendency to drink about a quart+ every 3,000 miles so I decided to switch to Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and I notice no running difference other then the fact I now use less then half a quart in 3,000 miles. I think I will stick with the M1 5w30.

If the 5W30 lowered consumption I'd stick with it too. Good move IMO.

Hi Guys -

Rob

Since you worry about your oil, towing, heat, etc., OEM recommendation probably won't make you rest assured and happy. Why not put in M1 0W-40 SN and forget any oil-related problem, other than a slight loss in fuel economy? It's $2.43 per quart with free two-day shipping on Amazon Prime if your order the six-pack and use the $2 per quart online rebate and 5% Discover card cashback.

IMAG4708.jpg

IMAG4709.jpg

IMAG4710.jpg

M1 0W-40 is probably about the perfect oil for a hard run Coyote. It's what the original Track Pack recommendation should have been instead of the ultra shear Motorcraft 5W-50 for $8/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back