What brand oil do MIDAS oil change places use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering what brand oil do MIDAS oil change shops use. Took the girls' 14' 200 there yesterday for a oil change, supplied my own oil&filter. I was told they use VWB; is this true?

Thank you in advance

Quote:

I was told they use VWB; is this true?

Probably determined by who is running shop.

On a side note; if you don't trust the things you are told, i would not be trusting my vehicle to them.

Well, I did a search and got so/so reviews on them. I supplied my own oil and filter and walked out paying only $9.99+tax so like $11.57! Checked their work and they actually did a OK job.

Probably varies by location since they're a franchise. They likely just get whatever cheap bulk oil they can get from a local supplier, not a name brand.

Thanks for the info KD0AXS
wink.gif

They use BeaterTM Brand Oil.

If you drive a Beater (any Make or Model), they have the right oil for your vehicle.

If you really must use these places, bring your own oil and watch them as they work, and watch them pour in your oil you hand them.

Falken: yeah, my good friend works there. I brought some PYB SM oil and one of my FRAM TG-10060 filters. He actually is one of the better quick lube techs. The $9.99 price was a coupon from my blood bank so hard to beat. The used oil I took and gave to my friend for his waste oil heater

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, the manager at the one I went to said "we use VWB in 5w20,30 and 10w30."

Well, he would probably know if he's the manager because he's probably the one who orders it. I wouldn't expect them to be using any particular name brand unless there's some requirement in their franchise agreement to do so. I would also hope that he's not lying about it, but you never know.

The Ntb I worked for used a bulk form of vwb pumped in in 5 20/30. They ordered 55gal of higher grades.
Midas got bought out by ntbs parent company so they are probably contractually obligated to do the same

A local quicky oil change place here sent a BMW owner to the dealer because of apparent neglect the manager noticed when looking under the hood. The manager told me they had the correct spec oil but would not touch the car because of the apparent neglect. He filled out a no charge repair order stating they only opened the hood but did not touch anything and included his recommendation to go to a BMW dealer and had the customer sign it. Smart move.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A local quicky oil change place here sent a BMW owner to the dealer because of apparent neglect the manager noticed when looking under the hood. The manager told me they had the correct spec oil but would not touch the car because of the apparent neglect. He filled out a no charge repair order stating they only opened the hood but did not touch anything and included his recommendation to go to a BMW dealer and had the customer sign it. Smart move.

How much neglect can one see by opening the hood, aside from the oil fill cap or dipstick missing? Maybe he pulled the dipstick and saw no oil. But it said he only opened the hood.

Well, my "honest technician/friend" stopped over a bit ago. He is sending in a sample from their 5w20 and 5w30 bulk tank that says "Valvoline Premium Conventional". Time will tell if manager is a liar or my friend is

Originally Posted By: cat843
How much neglect can one see by opening the hood, aside from the oil fill cap or dipstick missing? Maybe he pulled the dipstick and saw no oil. But it said he only opened the hood.

There must be some signs that the manager didn't want to get blamed for do any work on it, such as oil leak around the valve cover gasket or any other sign that indicates the engine had been neglected.

A synthetic oil change for an BMW is less than $150, and pay several thousands to repair the neglected engine is too muck risk.

Originally Posted By: cat843

I asked the manager? He said there was rusty coolant seepage in several places, rusty hose clamps, rust stains on the fender wells and underside of the hood along with oil vapor stains. There was a big bulge in the lower radiator hose along with an upper radiator hose that had a kink in it as if it were the wrong hose adapted to fit. The housing for the air filter had duct tape around the edges and there were several loose wires with the ends taped off. And all this on a 2001 5 Series BMW with just over 200K miles on the clock. He said it just looked like a problem ready to explode and he wanted nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back