New Mobil 1 Low Ash Oil??? 0w30 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem.

I did a bit more digging regarding the Chrysler MS-11106 / Fiat 9.55535-S3 specs, which the EcoDiesel requires.

These specs appear to coincide with the ACEA C3 requirements, in that they both call for an HTHS of >= 3.5 cP, and a sulfated ash content of
So as it appears (and outside of any Chrysler "warranty" requirements), the EcoDiesel will be well protected with any ACEA C3 oil.

Furthermore, an MB 229.51 or 229.52 approved oil should be even better, as the MB testing requires the oil to pass a multitute of very stringent wear and engine tests.

Mercedes MB229.5or 229.51 are the specs I look for when deciding on oil, de3pending on the allowed SAPS content. if the oil meets those specs, it'll work in anything.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
No problem.

I did a bit more digging regarding the Chrysler MS-11106 / Fiat 9.55535-S3 specs, which the EcoDiesel requires.

These specs appear to coincide with the ACEA C3 requirements, in that they both call for an HTHS of >= 3.5 cP, and a sulfated ash content of
So as it appears (and outside of any Chrysler "warranty" requirements), the EcoDiesel will be well protected with any ACEA C3 oil.

Furthermore, an MB 229.51 or 229.52 approved oil should be even better, as the MB testing requires the oil to pass a multitute of very stringent wear and engine tests.

C3 is pretty weak compared to the MB 229.51. I think the Chrysler MS-11106 aligns with the MB 229.51. You need an oil that meets both C3 and MB 229.51 to meet the Chrysler spec. The VW 507/Porsche C30 is a step above the MB requirements. That's what I look for in this type of oil.

I'm staying with the Pennzoil Euro L in my Eco Diesel. It's about as good as it gets.

Ed

I'm 1,000 miles on this oil and the truck runs great. Matter of fact, my mileage is up 1-1.5 mgg (26 to 27-27.5)....but have no idea why. Could be fuel, weather...who knows, but it coincided with the oil change.

The real test for me and the reason I chose this oil will be my first -20 degree morning in Jan-Feb. Needed a lower temp oil. Wasn't happy with how sluggish the engine turned over....and twice it wouldn't start. I have also installed the block heater plug.

It's just easier to keep one kind of oil around for the Benz and this Ram, so for the foreseeable future....this will be my oil. The only thing that could cause me to stray is the new Pennzoil 0w30 with that high VI.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I was shopping on the internet for some oil for my wife's new little MB Diesel......and I ran across Mobil 1 0w30 ESP. Matter of fact, IDparts.com lists this 0w30 as "the" oil for the 2.1 L MB Diesel.

My immediate thought was....cool, this will be a better oil for the cold Colorado winters in my Ram EcoDiesel. Three times this past winter, we had temps below -20.

Wonder what anyone knows about this oil and if it would be a good solution for any of the modern diesels?

5W30 ESP also has very good cold start capabilities. Used several times here in CO, in gas engine though, starts on -20 same like M1 0W40.

This is a good source for these oils. He also has the MB 5-30,and Mobil 1 0-30esp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobil-1-5W30-ESP-Synthetic-Oil-twelve-pack-of-1-Liter-bottles/111779828326?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33601%26meid%3D3f26852b5c9842b88f6eafd26f19583c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D111546859412

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
Originally Posted By: islip
Mobil 1 0-30 esp may be fine for the Benz but it does not meet the required spec for the Ram ecodiesel. ie HTHS 3.5 minimum as required by Chrysler ms-11106. The 0w-30 Mobil 1 esp HTHS value is only 2.9.

You are incorrect about the HTHS of the M1 ESP X1 0W30. In order to meet the Benz 229.51 and 229.52 specifications, the HTHS of the oil must be greater than or equal to 3.5 cP.

I think you may be thinking of the AFE flavour of M1 0W30, which has an HTHS of likely around 3.0 cP I think (off the top of my head).

As for meeting the specifications for the RAM EcoDiesel, the 0W30 ESP may not formally meet the requirements, but if I had to guess, it would likely be just fine. That would be up to the OP as to whether or not he feels comfortable using it in his VM Motori (Italian manufacturer of the EcoDiesel engine) application.

Mobil 1 5-30esp meets Chrysler spec and MB specs.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Mobil 1 5-30esp meets Chrysler spec and MB specs.

If Chrysler gets "passed around" any further, a Chrysler dealership will have to have 15 different oils to service their vehicles.

I don't understand your comment? What do the dealers use in those eco diesels?
I was just pointing out that the Mobil 1 5-30esp meets that Chrysler spec because they were discussing whether or not to use 0-30 in the Ram diesel.

That's just a dig at Chrysler, because Chrysler dealers have to deal with Chrysler vehicles that can call for SRT specs, basic API/ILSAC specs (with the basic Chrysler spec), CJ-4 and Cummins diesel stuff, MB specifications of at least a couple sorts, and now Fiat specifications. It must be a real blast being the one who has to bring in and sort the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back