What fluid for 2007 BMW 328xi coupe transfercase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 07 BMW 328xi coupe with 168k miles. I am going to service all the fluids as I think they're all over due even the "lifetime" fluids. The engine the dealer did (I'll change it again in the spring) Tranny I found out is by GM so I'm thinking of using MaxLife Dex/Merc which is compatible with vehicles requiring Dexron VI (comes by the gallon at Walmart for $18). The differentials I'll be using Mobil1 75w90. Power steering I'll use prestone European power steering fluid. Lastly what do I use in the transfer case? I read somewhere it doesn't take much but the BMW stuff is $40 a quart (if that's even the correct fluid?) From what I know transfer cases aren't complex they usually take atf or gear oil could I just use the left over dexron vi when I change the tranny or leftover gear oil from the diff's?

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
I just bought an 07 BMW 328xi coupe with 168k miles. I am going to service all the fluids as I think they're all over due even the "lifetime" fluids. The engine the dealer did (I'll change it again in the spring) Tranny I found out is by GM so I'm thinking of using MaxLife Dex/Merc which is compatible with vehicles requiring Dexron VI (comes by the gallon at Walmart for $18). The differentials I'll be using Mobil1 75w90. Power steering I'll use prestone European power steering fluid. Lastly what do I use in the transfer case? I read somewhere it doesn't take much but the BMW stuff is $40 a quart (if that's even the correct fluid?) From what I know transfer cases aren't complex they usually take atf or gear oil could I just use the left over dexron vi when I change the tranny or leftover gear oil from the diff's?

The transfer case appears to take a specialty BMW fluid:
BMW P/N 83 22 0 397 244 (TF0870)
Fluid is about $45 a liter, must be some exceptional lubricant. BMWs are usually sensitive to fluids so I would use what is supposed to go in there.

The front and rear differentials Mobil 1 75W-90 is a good choice. You may or may not need to add the LS additive as the gear oil friction modifier might be sufficient.

Your power steering, does your BMW have that self leveling suspension IIRC requires Pentosin. The power steering and suspension shares the same fluid. Some BMW power steering systems take ATF, so MaxLife might work.

Just make sure you consult a BMW service manual for proper fluid specifications

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The GM transmission in BMW is not your regular GM. I wouldn't touch it.

A lot of people use Dexron VI in them and they are fine afterwards. At least on the E46.

The fluid change also has pretty positive responses from owners that the transmission works better afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Motul also lists their dctf as TF-0870
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/79843/original/Multi_DCTF_(GB)_0614.pdf

I would service the transmission with any full synthetic DexronVI equivalent and definitely change the filter. Looks regular GM to me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission

Interesting.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: jbotelho15

The transfer case appears to take a specialty BMW fluid:
BMW P/N 83 22 0 397 244 (TF0870)
Fluid is about $45 a liter, must be some exceptional lubricant. BMWs are usually sensitive to fluids so I would use what is supposed to go in there.

The front and rear differentials Mobil 1 75W-90 is a good choice. You may or may not need to add the LS additive as the gear oil friction modifier might be sufficient.

Your power steering, does your BMW have that self leveling suspension IIRC requires Pentosin. The power steering and suspension shares the same fluid. Some BMW power steering systems take ATF, so MaxLife might work.

Just make sure you consult a BMW service manual for proper fluid specifications

How can I ring out if I have the self leveling suspension? There is atf now but I felt like it was wrong another forum that's nothing but these cars mentioned it had to be a certain kind (forgot the code) but I know the kind I mentioned met that requirement. Now I'm wondering if I should just use atf in there

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Motul also lists their dctf as TF-0870
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/79843/original/Multi_DCTF_(GB)_0614.pdf

I would service the transmission with any full synthetic DexronVI equivalent and definitely change the filter. Looks regular GM to me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission

The link doesn't work but if true that is half the cost (still expensive but at least it's a lot less)

To the OP,

All BMW automatic transmissions have now been retroactively approved to use DEXRON VI.
Breaking with tradition, the genuine fluid from the dealer is now reasonably priced, but with Bimmerheads having good luck with MaxLife, that's what I'm using, it's inexpensive at Walmart. In fact, I drain and fill at 30K and drain fill and change the filter at 60K.
I live in the desert, so its a severe service situation.

I use Maxlife in a 740i (261K), X3 (135K) and a E46 325i (167K) with good results. I went conservative on the transmission filter as some folks have had problems with non-OE filters. The refill procedure is important, lots online at e90post or e46fanitics on this topic. Your GM transmission is made in Stausburg France, and is very different than stateside GM transmissions.

I am using Ravenol transfer case fluid for less than 1/2 the BMW part. There is chatter about the company on this board, I'm convinced it's good stuff. Available from Blauparts, distributor of Ravenol in the North America.

Power steering at some point in time has changed from Dexron III to CHF 11S.

Sorry for the double post, I took too long to edit my original post and it wouldn't let me edit and repost.

To the OP,

All BMW automatic transmissions have now been retroactively approved to use DEXRON VI. Prior to that, the specs were byzantine. Thankfully, now just use Dex VI. Breaking with tradition, the genuine fluid from the dealer is now reasonably priced, but I checked with one of the few approved ZF transmission re-builders in the US and he said he would not hesitate to use Maxlife. It's inexpensive at Walmart. In fact, I drain and fill at 30K and drain fill and change the filter at 60K. He strongly recommended the BMW filter or Filtran brand ONLY (don't know if the GM tranny uses a Filtran filter). I live in the desert, so its a severe service situation. Anyway, he is a re-builder and should know, says stick to those filters.

I use Maxlife in a 740i (261K), X3 (135K) and a E46 325i (167K) with good results. I went conservative on the transmission filters as some folks have had problems with non-OE filters. The refill procedure is VERY important, lots online at e90post, e46fanatics or bimmerfest on this topic. Your GM transmission is made in Stausburg France, and is very different than stateside GM transmissions. Remember, all the chatter about which fluid to use is now obsolete with the change of spec to Dex VI.

BMW has backed off lifetime fill and now recommends 100K miles. ZF recommends 60K. I know yours is GM, but don't hesitate to change it.

Important: If you choose to use Maxlife, ONLY USE the one with all the German car approvals on the back label. There are a couple different flavors of Maxlife, ONLY use this one.

I am using Ravenol transfer case fluid for less than 1/2 the BMW part. There is chatter about the company on this board, I'm convinced it's good stuff. Available from Blauparts, distributor of Ravenol in North America. Change it at 60K, it's an expensive repair if it fails, and its a friggin' quart of oil, change it! SHAKE WELL before using, some good bits settle out to the bottom of the bottle.

Power steering at some point in time has changed from Dexron III ATF to CHF 11S. YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO MIX THE TWO. Check the fill cap, it should say either of the two. The manual is a good source too, but in transition years, they can conflict. Use the cap as your guide. My personal experience with several cars is the PS starts to moan a bit at about 60K, flushing the fluid fixes the noise. I use the Ghetto method: turkey baster and drain and refill from the reservoir, drive for a few minutes turning full lock right and left, repeat two more times and use a full liter. Some cars don't experience the moan, but one of the four hoses in the system typically leak before 60K and gets changed and the system refilled, so they've effectively had a fluid change. You decide. Use squeaky clean baster, containers and funnels; these systems don't like any dirt at all. Tip: there is a very small hole in the cap to breath, clean it well and you wont get the constant weeping of fluid around the cap. If it's ATF, I use Redline D4 ATF, if CHF 11S, I use Fuchs. Don't over or under fill this system. Most don't know, but the reservoir itself has a filter at the bottom, I change it at the second (120K) interval or sooner OR if there is any evidence of any debris in the fluid. One of my cars had [censored] in it at 60K. Use OE suppliers such as ZF, ATE or Conteco.

You have self leveling suspension? This I believe has always been CHF 11S. I like FUCHS, big lubricant producer with a very good reputation and the price is right compared to Pentosin. I found the best deal at Pelican Parts.

If I am in error on my lube specs or recommended procedures here, somebody please chime in and correct me. I have no interest in any of the brands or vendors mentioned here, just owned and tracked and worked on a bunch of Bimmers over the past 25 years.

My 1st post on this board, hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back