Need New Tires - Primacy MXM4 vs. Premier A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update, The_Critic.

Originally Posted By: ryster
I have Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my Sonata. They now have 33,000 miles on them and have 6/32's tread depth remaining. They are wearing well. The tires are horrible in the rain, iffy in snow, but are pretty quiet. I would not buy them again as I believe there are similar or even better performing tires for less money.

I had to double-check to see if I hadn't written that. It exactly describes my experience with MXV4's on my Corolla. They got to 64K miles but rain and snow was downright scary even though the tires still had 5/32. Not the tires that my LTX M/S2's are.

Hopefully the OP can get the full tread life out before they dry rot or become so dangerous in the rain his life is at stake.

Agreed on the Premiers not having terribly crisp handling. But they sure do ride well, and grip like crazy glue in rain. They have some pretty high limits that they don't encourage approaching. I guess so that way Joe Average still has some more performance left when they most need it. Not a bad approach for the majority of drivers.

Just to let people know my experience, the MXM4s are a bit noisy as they age, but I blame the G37. Sports alignment while driving like a grandma are not a good combination for ideal tire life and wear in.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Just to let people know my experience, the MXM4s are a bit noisy as they age, but I blame the G37. Sports alignment while driving like a grandma are not a good combination for ideal tire life and wear in.

They are the tires and not the car. I have had the same problem as others have had on this board. The OEM MXV4s as they wear became loud and lose wet traction easily.

I'll chime in as well on the MXM4's also, when I had my '13 Regal Turbo they were quite noisy by time I had 10,000 miles in spite of 2 rotations. They however were MUCH quieter than the Premier A/S tires that I have put on my Camry. I hated the Bridgestones that were OE on the Camry, but the Premier A/S is a WAY overpriced tire and it really is NO better than the Bridgestone except in the rain. And the Premier A/S is NOT by any means a quiet tire. Do not fall into that trap. Even with 24,000 miles on the Bridgestones and even though they were almost worn out they were still quieter than the Premier A/S when new. And also I've lost 3-5mpg with the Premier....

Reading this thread, I'm liking my Pure Contacts more and more.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
They are the tires and not the car. I have had the same problem as others have had on this board. The OEM MXV4s as they wear became loud and lose wet traction easily.

That's certainly quite possible. I do know that these have been very sensitive to being rotated. That helps alleviate things a bit. I like the road feel and have no opinion yet on tire life, since I haven't measured. We don't get a lot of "wet" up here, so that's not too much of an issue.

The factory Dunlops were definitely quieter at the same mileage.

Update:

The set of Premier A/S tires on my Prius have about 39,000 miles on them. The current tread depth is between 4 and 5/32" (with a little bit of uneven wear). The car is driven a bit aggressively. Based on the current wear rate, I am losing 1/32" every 10k so I should be able to get to close to 60k before reaching the wear bars.

From what I can tell, there has been no noticeable deterioration of wet weather performance compared to new. The tires continue to perform well. If there is room for improvement, it would be in sidewall stiffness and rolling resistance.

I will probably replace these tires in the next 10k miles unless a very good sale comes up, then it may be sooner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates on this tire. I just picked them up last week thanks to the $125 rebate thru America's Tire. Took them for a long trip this weekend to "break" them in, can't wait for the rain to test them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back