Initial F-250 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having spent some time in this vehicle last night I can attest to how nice it is. Also, the diesel is insanely quiet! You would never know it was a diesel.

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
Amazing mileage for 440 hp and 860 lb-ft torque.
Thanks for posting

It is all relative-it seems....

A tractor/trailer loaded at about 40 tons gross averages about 7 miles per gallon of diesel. At least the qualcom showed it did when I drove before the DEF craze. Do miss the sweet smell of diesel that they killed with the 'pig &$€¥'. Sometimes tou can still get behind an old 'regular' diesel and smell. Like some ol classic musclecars or like, as ive heard, the dirtbikes with the castor beans.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The temp gauges are coolant and transmission.
If you like to install an oil gauge, try the dual temp and pressure gauge.
Oil temp is there in the information system, just strange that so far I am not finding an oil pressure gauge.

Sorry, I didn't know there is an oil temp in the information system.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Having spent some time in this vehicle last night I can attest to how nice it is. Also, the diesel is insanely quiet! You would never know it was a diesel.

Is this quietness as you sit in the truck or standing outside next to the hood ?

The older diesel engines in MB cars are so noisy, sit in my car with window closed I still can hear it from 2 -3 cars behind at stop light.

Very impressive fuel economy for such a work horse. My Dakota gets 14.5-15 all day every day around town. I can live with it though, the 3.9 V-6 has a whopping amount of power! Might be time to start looking at a new truck.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Is this quietness as you sit in the truck or standing outside next to the hood?
Both; the only time it truly sounds like a diesel is when getting on it pretty hard to accelerate and merge into freeway traffic. Otherwise, you would be hard pressed to know it was a diesel. My FIL thought it was a gasser when standing next to it at idle.

Very nice. Ford's doing wonders with that power level and emissions!

I come pretty close to that in my Ram, but the 4.10's will probably never let me get all the way there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Any "Regens" yet? Just curious about what impact it will have on your average MPG.
Yes; I have had two (but none on this trip--maybe on the trip home). They last for about 20-25 miles (which is 4 to 5x longer than previous models) and the MPG is in the 10-12 range, no matter what speed you drive. I will see what it does to the 21.1MPG that I currently have if one occurs on the return trip.

It regens while driving? How does that work?

Originally Posted By: whip
From what I understand it dumps extra fuel to burn the soot that collects in the DPF. It lasts about 20-25 miles and then returns to normal operation. There is a slight power decrease during regens.

From what I understand it dumps extra fuel to burn the soot that collects in the DPF. It lasts about 20-25 miles and then returns to normal operation. There is a slight power decrease during regens.

Is it dumping the fuel into the exhaust? In HD trucks, the regen is done while parked, and the engine runs at high RPM to burn off the soot.

Is it dumping the fuel into the exhaust? In HD trucks, the regen is done while parked, and the engine runs at high RPM to burn off the soot.
As explained on one of the diesel forms (and I believe the mixture is ran really rich--I do not think it has a separate exhaust injector), but the regens occur while driving and not parked. This would make sense from an MPG point of view--the OTR trucks are getting zero MPG while parked doing regens. I am assuming Ford (and the other OEMs) are seeking to maintain some level of fleet economy and as long as it works...
Originally Posted By: PaintedHorse (TheDieselSpot)
Your truck will regen in two different processes, Depending on conditions.

The first is an Active Regen. This is triggered by a Soot % in the DPF. If a regen starts and does not complete. No big deal. Lets assume the trigger point is 2.70%, The previous regen reduced soot down to 1.90% before it was terminated by you shutting off the engine. Next time you start and drive. A regen will not start again until you hit the trigger point of 2.70%. That may be 5 miles down the road if you are heavy footed and creating lots of soot, or it may be 1000 miles from now.

The second type of regen is a Passive Regen, This happens automatically when ever your exhaust temps exceed 572°. This type of regen will last as long as your exhaust temps stay above that 572°. It may be for 30 seconds or it may be for 10 hours. Normal freeway driving at 70 mph = about 470-490° So to hit the 572° you will need to be climbing a grade, towing a trailer, accelerating. The point is the DPF is fully capable of doing many very short or long regens, It doesn't damage or destroy the DPF to do a short regen.

If you develop soot that doesn't get cleaned off, You will get a "DRIVE TO CLEAN" message. It will stay lit up on your dash until you have driven far enough to clean your DPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back