Anyone Have a Taurus PT111 G2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Millennium G2 over 18 months ago and can't think of a single complaint I have about it. I got it when they were newer and $299. At the time the Shield was up to $429 with all the prices on guns and ammo being through the roof. The G2 felt better in my hand, had a 12+1 capacity, and has multiple strike capability. For a compact carry gun it's tough to beat. Now, with the price on it usually falling between $200 & $250, it's steal. I carried my G2 for the bulk of 2014 and just recently started carrying it again this summer. Had been carrying my Ruger SR40c but changed back to the G2 with the thinner lighter summer clothing. For a double stack it seems thin and it's pretty light too.

When I bought the PT-111 G2 the gun store said that it was their current best seller. They hadn't heard any negative feedback from customers. Many people will avoid Taurus but as I've said before on this forum, all my Taurus semi-autos work quite well. Just as well as any other higher priced guns I own. Usually they feel better in my hand too.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
That being said, PSA sells it for $220 and puts it on sale for $199 regularly.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html

101 Reviews and all categories are 5 stars. Didn't see anyone really say anything bad, so that must say something about the G2. Most of the YouTube reviews are good too. Looks like this one is a winner for Taurus.

I agree now you've got me wanting one dog gone it!
grin2.gif

grin.gif
... Just $200 ~ $250 depending where you get one.

I bought one. Went to the range and ran about 160 rounds through. Had two failures to fire with Winchester White Box. Hard primers. Wouldn't fire even with 2nd strike. Single loaded both and they did fire. But the firing pin clearly was impacting normally. No other problems and shot 3 different FMJ ammos. Next trip I will try some other brands and some JHP. I like the gun and it seems to be accurate, especially under 15 yards. Seems to be a well made firearm.

I picked one up a few days ago and will be going to the range in a few weeks. Will be shooting it along side the S&W 9mm Shield for comparison.

The Taurus looks and feels well made, very easy to tear-down and reassemble. Like the feel in the hand, maybe more than the Shield since it's a hair wider, but won't know for sure until I actually shoot it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I picked one up a few days ago and will be going to the range in a few weeks. Will be shooting it along side the S&W 9mm Shield for comparison.

The Taurus looks and feels well made, very easy to tear-down and reassemble. Like the feel in the hand, maybe more than the Shield since it's a hair wider, but won't know for sure until I actually shoot it.

You have a good one (Shield) for comparison, looking forward to your thoughts. Have fun
smile.gif

I own two Taurus revolvers and never a problem but guess where my fairly new 45 colt Ruger Redhawk is right now? Yep sent it back to Ruger. The starwheel at the end of the plunger is not lining up correctly and wont go flush into the cylinder. Should have it back next week.

Kinda surprised, I am not a big Ruger fan other than their revolvers which I consider top notch.

I used to abuse a Super Blackhawk and it didn't care a bit.

Dont let anyone kid you. Taurus is a fine manufacturer with great prices and lifetime warranty for whoever owns the gun, meaning the warranty travels with the gun.
I was sceptical too. Until I researched and researched, as well as talked with a well respected gun shop that also services all kind of police agencies in our state.

Currently, we own the following Taurus -
1. 9mm PT 111 Millennium Pro (1st generation),
2. Taurus 380 TCP (tiny and fits in your pocket)
3. Taurus Ultra Lite 38 Special

The above have been rock solid. Never a repair and just guessing, but maybe put around 300 to 500 rounds through each of them. With ANY gun, maybe you want to put 50 to 100 rounds through it in order to break it in. I cant remember exactly but maybe had a FTF on any gun in the first 20 to 50 rounds or so. Most times I use any brass cartridge and buy on price. Blazer Brass etc.

Im not saying that Taurus is the only gun to buy, not at all, I am saying, lets not trash the name because of their great prices. Here is another example for a pocket gun, someone posted another for the G2 ... Taurus TCP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'll never own one. I don't care if it's god's gift to handguns, it's still a Taurus. I wont own a small carry gun with a safety.

That being said, PSA sells it for $220 and puts it on sale for $199 regularly.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html

Open mouth, insert foot. Oops...

I couldn't resist. PSA had this gun for $199, so I found a use for it in my mind, and bought it. It's been here at the house for a few days now. I've cleaned it, checked out its function, and I can't find a single thing wrong with it. The trigger feels great, the pistol feels great in the hand, it has a large capacity of 12 which is great for a gun this small.

I really, really like it so far based on my limited experience with it. Once I get it to the range I can give it my seal of approval.

I have the Taurus PT111 G2 in 9mm and paid $149 brand new, after $50 rebate last December. It has the highest customer satisfaction rating, of all Taurus models today. Mine has been flawless. Even Hickok45 praised the value and features it holds on youtube.

I just switched back over to my PT111 G2 for warm weather carry. Took it out of the safe about 3 weeks ago and ran 600 rounds through it to wake it up. No issues. I do enjoy this gun. I have the urge to pick up another with the LGS pricing them at like $229 to $199 on sale. Probably get the stainless one this time.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Dont let anyone kid you. Taurus is a fine manufacturer with great prices and lifetime warranty for whoever owns the gun, meaning the warranty travels with the gun.

The biggest problem with Taurus is quality is hit or miss at best, spotty in fact. People either swear by them, or at them. There doesn't seem to be any in between. "Hit or miss" quality, warranty or not, has no place in ANY handgun that is going to be used for self defensive purposes. I'll try to save a few bucks elsewhere. Not on a tool I'm going to use to perhaps someday defend my life with.

The PT111 G2 has the best satisfaction rating and that's the model being discussed here. I only bought it because it was $149 new and lots of features. This will be my first and last Taurus, for I trust no other model Taurus offers.

I've researched Kel-Tec also and found good reviews on the P32. That's my next purchase and counting my inexpensive and well-trusted Ruger LCP just purchased, that gives me three handguns at a total cost of $607........ $149-$209-$249.

Normally I would not buy an inexpensive gun. But all three combined will never see 2K shots fired in the next 15 years. By then I'll be 80 years-old. Only 3-4 times per year I go to the range and I never shoot more than 75-100 times each session. That's the amount of shots for the entire stay.... maybe using 3-4 handguns.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

They sell "lifetime warranties" on Land Rovers. It doesn't matter much if this is where they spend most of their time.

Like any product from any company can have an issue. Everyone in this thread who owns a Taurus has not has a problem. Any gun thread of any brand will be people who had a problem with the product as no production of a product is 100% defect free. Taurus is just as good as any of them, if not better then some.

Though for me personally, I'm also thinking about 9mm Diamondback for pocket ability and just as a fun thing. I don't have a budget for expensive guns simply because it isn't a big hobby of mine. Good reliable inexpensive guns are fun for me, sure, if it was truly my hobby maybe I would own less of them in place of a more expensive one, not for reliability but for more unique craftsmanship. Yet I have no need for something too heavy, which brings up back to plastics.

Actually the PT111 is my wife's. smooth to shoot, little recoil, she a darn good shot too! In our CWP class she was darn close to the best shot, maybe one behind number 1 out of 10 people. Just shy of blowing out the center of the target.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back