Hot vulcanizing patches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recent tire plug thread made me wonder if they still make hot patches for bicycle inner tubes? The kind that has a flammable layer on top of the patch and which allows hot vulcanizing the patch to the tube.

We're those the ones in the early 80s called Tip Top? They were awesome! They'd literally melt to the tube. Only patches I ever would use.

were they actually hot vulcanizing or just heating to accelerate the cold vulcanizing process? I remember using monkey grip patches with the soft layer of cold vulcanizing rubber and using a lighter to heat it to cure faster so it could be re-mounted.

This was before my time, so I don't know. I have only ever seen the usual cold vulcanizing patches, but I'd love to get my hands on the old style patches, if they still make them.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
were they actually hot vulcanizing or just heating to accelerate the cold vulcanizing process? I remember using monkey grip patches with the soft layer of cold vulcanizing rubber and using a lighter to heat it to cure faster so it could be re-mounted.

As I pointed out, there was a flammable layer. You lit that and the heat vulcanized the patch to the tube. The you had to peel the thick burnt layer off the actual patch, which was now vulcanized to the inner tube. A very manly repair. I found a youtube video showing this type patch in action, but the video is laced with profanity and disrespect for parents.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Those sound sweet!!!!

If I can find them, I'll be vulcanizing stuff all day long.
grin2.gif
If you don't have a fragile disposition, look for "Old School Vulcanizing Tire Patch" on youtube. Maybe not safe for viewing if your parents or children are around.

We used the self vulcanizing patches all the time when I was younger. A tire leak from puncture meant an afternoon spent with Dad with us dismounting the tire from the wheel, patch, then remount and off to the service station to air it back up. Used to use them on my bicycle inner tubes as well.

We used to buy those self-vulcanizing patches at Western Auto. Haven't seen them in years. I liked them a lot better than cold patches. They contained a flammable mixture on the back side of the patch you would light, then peel off after it finished burning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
We used to buy those self-vulcanizing patches at Western Auto. Haven't seen them in years. I liked them a lot better than cold patches. They contained a flammable mixture on the back side of the patch you would light, then peel off after it finished burning.

I imagine it might be possible to make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back