Air compressor vs air inflator

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, I have been using a bicycle pump for the past 10 years to fill my car tires. I think I need a better solution so I was wondering if a air compressor would be better than an air inflator. I am looking at a porter cable $100 air compressor versus a $50 Kobalt tire inflator that I can plug to my wall. In particular I was wondering about durability. Thanks!

I used a bicycle pump too, but I bought a couple inflators on clearance for $4/ea from HD couple years ago. I check my tires and if none needs more than 2 PSI I still use bicycle pump, if 1 or more needs more than 2-3 PSI I use the inflator. In 1 minute it can add 3-4 PSI.

If all you want to do is inflate auto tires then get the $50 Kobalt inflator.

With an air compressor you have to also buy fittings, hose, and an adapter, and put all of them together. By that time you'll wonder what else you could use air for, and it'll snowball into more.

The inflator is slow, but you don't to think about any of the other setup pieces.

I've had both for years. My CH air inflator is over 10 years old and four years ago I bought a $100 Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake air compressor from Home Depot.

An air compressor has other uses too obviously. I use mine with nail guns and to also blow the sand out of the engine compartment, especially the Subaru. Flat four is a tabletop for dirt. $100 well spent.

An air compressor with tank will be loads heavier. You also need a wall outlet; many inflators run off the cigarette lighter.

If you get a tank compressor, the oiled ones are more durable than the oil-less ones, and the oil-less ones are loudest.

With a tank, it'll keep itself full, so if you have to top off all four tires it'll go faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back