Mobil 1 0w20 AFE vs EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Whatever the differences between AFE and EP, they are tiny, if you look at VOAs and UOAs for that info. Maybe EP contains more PAO or esters??? Those don't show up on VOA-UOA reports.

According to the MSDS for each product, the EP contains more PAO. Otherwise, they are VERY similar as noted.

Very similar and probably formulated sightly different for the reasons they are labeled differently.

Per Mobil's website:

Quote:
Full synthetic oil uses a synthetic base stock mixed with a variety of additives that boost the performance of the oil. While all synthetics on the market may offer a higher level of protection than conventional or synthetics blends, not all synthetics are equal. Each synthetic brand uses a mix of high-performance fluids and additives. How these formulations come together results in various protection levels and attributes.

o not all synthetics provide the same protection? Why not?

Here’s why. Not all synthetics are formulated the same way. They can contain very different types and combinations of base oils and additives. Even minor differences in formulation can have a major effect on performance. For example, add a bit more of one additive and you get better cleanliness, but you might lose some wear protection. Cut back on this additive and you get better performance at high temperatures, but the cold-weather startup isn’t as good.

So, what’s a guy (or gal) to do? The best approach is to look for a full synthetic product that offers optimal performance in every area. That way, you’re not getting short changed in one area just to get better performance in another. Also, be sure to select synthetic oils that use high-quality base stocks to ensure powerful performance and protection.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-maintenance/learn-about-motor-oil-facts/types-of-synthetic-oil

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I like the mix of M1 0W20 EP with 0W40 better, both are long drain oil with good percentage PAO.

I'm considering this mix for mynext winter OCI, or the M1 0W-40 with the Sustins 0W-20.
wink.gif

I don't know why they would still make afe. Use the latest and greatest. By the time I drain my oil each time there is some new advancement.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: JungleJim
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
5,000 miles is too frequent. You can easily go 5,000 miles on conventional. If you're not going closer to 10,000 miles on synthetic you're just wasting your money. To each his own.
I hear what you're saying. But Toyota calls for 5,000 mi changes, and 0w20 is only available in synthetic.

Thank you to everyone who has responded!

if toyota calls for 5,000 mile OCI, then 5w20 is specified.
if 0w20 is specified, then toyota calls for 10,000 mile OCI.

+1 that's exactly what it says in the OM for my Tundra too. If you are using 0W-20 you can do 10K OC intervals. If you are using 5W-20, or going back and forth between 5W-20 and 0W-20 you must use 5K OC intervals. that's pretty standard for most Toyota engines now.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I ran AFE for 15K in my FX4 with TBN to spare so a 5K OCI is far underutilizing it. You can search for my UOAs for details.

I have 0W-20 EP in it now and will probably go to 20K on it, but will pull a UOA at 15K to see where I stand. Either way, both are great oils.

I am currently running M1EP 5W20 along with a FU filter (Thanks 2010_FX4) in my F150. I plan on running it to as close as 15K miles or no more than 18 months. If it can be used for more time then that I sure will listen to the advice.
I used to be a 3K mile oil changer, no matter if it were synthetic or dino. It took a long time of being stubborn and hard headed to convince me that oil can go further than 3K miles. There were a lot of members here, along with their testing and UOA's, that convinced me of that. Three members I would like to thank the most are 2010_FX4, KCJeep, and ZeeOSix. There are many more and you know who you are.

I was an ardent 3K guy in the 80's. When I actually got a new car in 1989 I switched to synthetic oil immediately. I figured if it were good enough for my friend's dad to run 25K intervals in his Mercedes it was fine to go 10K in my Honda Accord. See? I was still a bit chicken about those really extended intervals. I now have my subsequent new car, a 2012 Mazda 3 (yes, I drove the Accord for 23 years). I am getting very close to 30K miles on the same oil using microGreen filters. It's 4,000 miles to go and then I'll get my very first UOA and we'll see what we see.

AFE will give you big mileage jump! Seriously, it says so on the bottle.

Either will protect fine, but don't run either any longer than 5k... that's pushing it.

I was an ardent 3K guy in the 80's. When I actually got a new car in 1989 I switched to synthetic oil immediately. I figured if it were good enough for my friend's dad to run 25K intervals in his Mercedes it was fine to go 10K in my Honda Accord. See? I was still a bit chicken about those really extended intervals. I now have my subsequent new car, a 2012 Mazda 3 (yes, I drove the Accord for 23 years). I am getting very close to 30K miles on the same oil using microGreen filters. It's 4,000 miles to go and then I'll get my very first UOA and we'll see what we see.

R u using M1 EP 5w-20 in the Mazda now? Thats got to help with the long oil change interval.

I am using M1 0W-20 AFE. EP was not available in my area when I started this process well over a year ago. My 1/2 quart makeup oil at each filter change has been Mazda's 0W-20 w/moly. I had a few quarts remaining from my case purchase at the Mazda dealer.

I am using M1 0W-20 AFE. EP.....

Wonder if viscosity is drifting down? Its a direct injection engine, high compression. When changing oil filters, take a sample, let it run down a metal plate at room temperature, compare that with new oil to see if its runnier. Just a thought.

^I like the idea. I am not sure, even if there is a noticeable difference, how meaningful it will be, but I want to try it. Since 0W-16 is on the horizon and even lower viscosities will follow I'm not even sure that it has a substantial impact on engine wear. That takes us right back to the ever popular thick v. thin debate.

^I like the idea. I am not sure, even if there is a noticeable difference, how meaningful it will be, but I want to try it. Since 0W-16 is on the horizon and even lower viscosities will follow I'm not even sure that it has a substantial impact on engine wear. That takes us right back to the ever popular thick v. thin debate.

Always a question of how thick an oil film is really in the bearings when we are lugging the engine (Stribeck condition). Depends on bearing surface area, load, viscosity, speed. Thin, at low speeds, higher loads, lower surface area, all work to reduce the oil film. Engine designers have a minimum viscosity in mind taking into account fuel dilution potential and worst case loading. If the owner' manual says 0w-20, then you can get to about a 5 or 6 cP KV100 to get close to the low side.

Anyone able to find the 0w-20 AFE on Mobil's website right now? I cant seem to find it, searching a variety of buzzwords.

Thinking through if I go common or two different oils for the van and hybrid car... Both take 0w-20, both take the same filter.

Or maybe dont care and just mix each based upon what's on hand.

Choices, choices...

Originally Posted By: webfors

Either will protect fine, but don't run either any longer than 5k... that's pushing it.
If you hold you breath through the oil change interval you may see an increase.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Anyone able to find the 0w-20 AFE on Mobil's website right now? I cant seem to find it, searching a variety of buzzwords.

Thinking through if I go common or two different oils for the van and hybrid car... Both take 0w-20, both take the same filter.

Choices, choices...

Here you go.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Originally Posted By: webfors

Is this a serious post about the 5K OCI?

Originally Posted By: tig1

Choices, choices...

Here you go.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Sorry, I actually meant MSDS. It wasn't clear from my post.

Update, still no M1 AFE MSDS online, and my request to XOM has gone unanswered.

It's there.....has always been there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back