IR 2475 Air Compressor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an IR Air Compressor at work. The compressor is the 2475 Model. It has two separate compressor motors and a big air tank
smile.gif

It is out of its 2 year pump warranty, and I had a question regarding the oil.

IR recommends using their All Season compressor oil which is about $30/qt. From what I can tell, it is a 30w syn compressor oil. They recommend changing it every 12 months.

We change it along with the air filters every 6 months. Is there anything super special about this IR oil? Would there be any issues with just using an over the counter 30w compressor oil? The auto parts store has 30w compressor oil for about $13/gal. I doubt it is synthetic, but is there any reason why we can't use something like this at 6 month intervals to save some maintenance costs?

Ive had this pump apart to replace gaskets, and I just don't see why it would need some crazy expensive oem branded oil, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Amsoil or Royal Purple would fit the bill nicely and save a few bucks without sacrificing performance and might even gain a little.

I'm really just concerned about it blowing up. I would thin a concentional oil at half the interval would be OK.

I would go synthetic in winter, is this compressor left out in the cold? Shop heated?

I use synthetic in mine, for cold start performance. Depending on use, I like the ideal of changing the oil every Six months on a heavily used unit, I change mine annually and always see tons of metal shavings.....

Do you see any metal flakes in the oil while draining?

The compressor is inside the building, and it is heated. It is a piston compressor. There is two piston compresors and two electric motors that power them.

As far as metal shavings, the oil comes out with some sparkle to it, but not really big pieces.

It looks like this except with a different air filter setup.

product_9390_600.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
I can bet it's LOUD.

Its pretty loud lol but its back in a hallway type room off the main shop so its not like its next to you all day

I would use synthetic and change it yearly. I use Amsoil 30/40 weight compressor oil in my garage compressor and it really made a huge difference in the winter when trying to kick on (unheated) and the oil stopped coming out with glitter in it after changing from mineral oil. Any of the name brand synthetic compressor oils will do very well in this application for far less than $30/quart. You might ask your friendly local lube distributor what they recommend.

We have lots of compressed air at work (1.8 MW of it) but fortunately they are oil free rotary screw compressors. Mobil DTE Heavy Medium (ISO 68) for their crankcases that gets changed when UOAs dictate - usually about once a year.

I just want to make sure there's isn't something magical about that IR branded oil. I will look into some synthetic options, but it is just easier to find something off the shelf because trying to get something purchased in this place can be a huge pita. If I can walk into a store and buy it along with the air filters (which they have available) it makes things much easier.

Compressor at work= the manufacture recommended lubricant. Easy and keeps you out of trouble if a different oil is used.

Use OEM oil for the first year warranty, when new, dump the oil after 2 weeks of running to clear out the first run knock down of the cylinder cross hatching. Then 1 month later. Then every 6 months. After warranty rum Amsoil or Redline synthetic. OEM oil doesn't come close to these top tier oils. I would not go by their suggestion of yearly changes. Way to long in a bath of unfiltered oil. Why would you want what the other poster commented on glitter looking oil. That would be just like grabbing a sheet of 400 get sand paper and razor blading scraping of the coarse media and dumping it your oil. Do you want to do that........no.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Use OEM oil for the first year warranty, when new, dump the oil after 2 weeks of running to clear out the first run knock down of the cylinder cross hatching. Then 1 month later. Then every 6 months. After warranty rum Amsoil ......

Just for the record, running Amsoil oil will not violate your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back