13 horse brigs oil temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got done mowing for about 3hrs on the ole craftsman and decided I would drop the oil to fix the leak I've had all year.

For giggles I shot the drain pan with my IR gun to see what what kind of temps the oil runs.

After sitting for about ten minutes the oil came out of the sump at about 284 f!

This reinforces my decision to stick with an HDEO from here on. I tried mystik 10w30 for the first time this year, and I have to say I'm surprised how good the oil looked coming out compared to the trop artic I had been using. Both are a syn-blend, but the mystik was much less black coming out after a season.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I tried mystik 10w30 for the first time this year, and I have to say I'm surprised how good the oil looked coming out compared to the trop artic I had been using. Both are a syn-blend, but the mystik was much less black coming out after a season.

Stick with previous oil......that one seems to clean less!

I run 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum in my B&S 20 HP twin and it stays nice and clean looking. I change it once a year or ~ 50 hours per factory instructions. Ed

I have seen crankcase temps on the IR gun as high as 310 degrees on a hot day working hard grass. 2 onans: 14hp, 20hp and a 14 horse Kaw.

I run M1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) + Amsoil 10w-40 4-Stroke Marine in my
1991 5HP Toro Recycler and it runs like brand new.
thumbsup2.gif

That'll combat those high oil temps!!

I use 0w40 M1 in my 13hp JD. The oil use to get so hot +300 I put in an oil cooler. Keeps around 200F now.

With my IR thermometer, the oil filter can on my 11 HP Kohler-powered John Deere gets up to high 200's low 300's degrees F when mowing high grass at the peak of summer's heat.

Because of this, I always use synthetic in it and most of my OPE. (okay, the beater Craftsman push-mower gets whatever, including a quart of 10W-30 STP-brand oil the neighbors gave me) I'm doing something right, that Deere turned 20 years old this year.
smile.gif

thanks,
ben

HDEO resists thermal breakdown more than a synthetic non-hdeo? such as M1 0w40,5w30 or pennzoil euro.

I usually use hdeo but thats because 15w40 leaks less.

I dont worry about the 15w40 because when its 280F its not too thick and I dont run it in the winter.

Darkening can be an additive package thing as well.

If I had new OPE I'd run a good full synthetic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back