Your favorite 507 oil is ( ). Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up on my second oil change for my 2015 VW Passat that I bought on March 15. The dealership did the first one for free with Castrol Edge Pro LL03 after we agreed that it was 5.8 liters and not 4.5 like my manual said.
I've read tons of posts on here and any 507 is good enough but everyone picks one oil over another, why?

I had a classmate tell me how important it was to use the best oil possible to prevent valvetrain damage in anything VW.

I would probably use Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

That is the result I got off of the Pennzoil Site, but cant find the Euro Oils listed.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I had a classmate tell me how important it was to use the best oil possible to prevent valvetrain damage in anything VW.

I would probably use Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

That is the result I got off of the Pennzoil Site, but cant find the Euro Oils listed.

The 5w40 is not a 507. The Euro L and LX are the 507 offerings.

If an oil that meets 507 isn't good enough to protect the valvetrain for 100s of thousands of miles, there is something seriously (more) wrong with VW engineering.

You shouldn't need "the best" 507, just 507 IMHO.

Flat tappet cams are long gone in four cylinder VW diesels. Many guys, myself included, tend to be brand biased on oil and many other things. There are additives & chemistries in VW 507 oils that will not show up in an oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If an oil that meets 507 isn't good enough to protect the valvetrain for 100s of thousands of miles, there is something seriously (more) wrong with VW engineering.

You shouldn't need "the best" 507, just 507 IMHO.

I'm sure any 507 oil is good enough as that is the spec vw calls for. So as you state "just 507 IMHO" so that means whatever is the cheaper brand at the time? I get that and it makes sense but outside of price is there an attribute of an oil that would be second in consideration if two or three brands where the same price? Such as VI or or shear/temp?

I use Pentosin Pento Superperformance III. I have the utmost respect for the company and their products are second to none.

I buy the Superperformance III in 20 liter containers from IDParts and have it shipped to my door. It's not the cheapest product (I pay $159.95 + $4.95 shipping for 20 liters) but it has served me very well and the company has never failed to answer any questions I may have about their products.

Yes, I use and recommend Pentosin products in all of my German cars.

Back when I needed to use a 505.01 oil I used Penrite HPR Diesel 5, and it was labelled as being 505.01 compliant (can't remember whether it was certified or whether it simply met the spec). It no longer carries that specification.

Now, my current vehicle needs an MB 229.51 oil which is also 5W-30 and I try to choose oils which also meet 507.00 spec. I figure they'll be better oils, and at the moment I try to find Group IV oils, which are hard to find here in Australia. Nulon Euro 5W-30 is my current choice.

I only know of two in my neck of the woods, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W30 : VW 507, MB 229.51, Porsche C30

Valvoline SynPower XL-III : VW 507, MB 229.51

Both are good quality synthetics and would work well. The shell (SOPUS) product also has the Porsche C30 spec, so that would be my first choice.

Just make sure it's on the approved list and pick your favourite brand. Formulation/performance wise there will be very little between them as they naturally have to be similar to get the approval.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Mobil1 5W30 ESP. By far best numbers.

And what "numbers" are those pray tell?

Shear Stability Index, 0.938 versus 0.883.

Flash Point 254 vs 226, which has a correlation to the distillation temperature of the oils. In all likelihood the Mobil has a better NOACK.

The above, and the density indicating that SOPUS has used a lighter basestock with more VIIs, giving them artificially higher KVs than the HTHS (wear protection) would indicate.

Of course, if you need the thing to start at -40C, then the SOPUS is clearly the better compromise.

Since PP Euro LX 0W-30 is a GTL based oil it's inherently superior with a higher natural VI and therefore likely doesn't use any more VIIs than M1 5W-30 ESP and we know based on company cert's that it's Noack will be less than 10%.

Your shear stability index is a poor predictor of actual shear stability when comparing oils with different chemistries. I suspect PP will be somewhat more shear stable than M1 but assuming for the sake of argument that both oils have the same shear stability, you will have greater very high temp' (150C+) protection with PP due to it's higher VI.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Mobil1 5W30 ESP. By far best numbers.

And what "numbers" are those pray tell?

Shear Stability Index, 0.938 versus 0.883.

Flash Point 254 vs 226, which has a correlation to the distillation temperature of the oils. In all likelihood the Mobil has a better NOACK.

The above, and the density indicating that SOPUS has used a lighter basestock with more VIIs, giving them artificially higher KVs than the HTHS (wear protection) would indicate.

Of course, if you need the thing to start at -40C, then the SOPUS is clearly the better compromise.

Very low NOACK...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3119418

Flashpoint can be impacted by additives too.

Yes that is a very low Noack number, lower than VW requires and of course we don't know if it translates into any actual deposit benefit.

So it comes down to whether you want the advantages of a 0W oil with a 40 point VI advantage (204 vs 164) or not. Mobil's ESP 0W-30 isn't VW certified so that isn't an option.

If I had an Audi/VW that specified a 504.00/507.00 oil, PP Euro LX 0W-30 is the oil I'd use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back