Valvetrain pics PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find many valve train pics of motors using PP but there seem to be plenty of M1. I know M1 is older but it's really interesting how clean the pics almost always look with M1. I'm asking because I like the way PP sounds I know that's strange in my application but it would be nice to see actual takedown images or video on PP like Mobile does all the time.

Id like to see piston skirt photos with stuck ring demerits. That affects running and fuel mileage
smile.gif
Id also like to have good gasoline up here so my oil didn't have to work so hard.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Jake777, there r the pictures of piston deposits using Pennz Ultra. http://synthetics.pennzoil.com and the claim they beat Mobil1 and Valvoline Synpower

Yes, advertising pics, not quite the same thing.

I have advertising pics too, from both companies:

PUM1.png

^^^ Those Pennz and Mobil1 pictures agree. No problem. Ultra is better than Mobil1 on piston deposits.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
^^^ Those Pennz and Mobil1 pictures agree. No problem. Ultra is better than Mobil1 on piston deposits.

Look again. Mobil posts ALL six pistons from the test, Pennzoil posts ONE. Their Mobil 1 piston looks a heck of a lot like (like identical) to the top right Mobil 1 piston. Their Ultra piston looks a lot like the bottom left Mobil 1 piston. There's our magic "up to 25%" right there, and from the same engine and test with the same oil!

That's why marketing is AWESOME!!! *cue sarcasm meter at pegged*

this is enlightening. That's my point. Pennzoil claims great things and I have really been liking Pennzoil platinum and one of my vehicles. With that said I can't help but trust more mobile ones marketing. The reason I say I trusted more is because there are countless videos of them tearing down the old engines with lots of miles on them and looking great. But Pennzoil doesn't seem to do the same thing. I'm not saying one is much better than the other but I like the fact that mobile is willing to show us the interior. I just wish I could see some from Pennzoil. Heck, mobile even has video of Dino oil going 25,000 mile oil change intervals and then showing us the inside.

According to the pictures in their marketing campaigns, both of those oils clean superbly! The miniscule traces of varnish they leave are so slight that it wouldn't make a bit of difference to engine life. Since both oils clean almost identically well, which one provides the best wear protection?

Edit: I meant to reply to the thread, not to Jake777 specifically. Still getting used to the forum software.

Last edited:
The Mobil 1 picture is garbage the Market general oil photo is exposed properly for brightness and contrast whereas the M1 photo is WAY overbright - even the ring land edges are washed out.

Photos for Idiots.

The spec is demerits for gram weight deposits.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The Mobil 1 picture is garbage the Market general oil photo is exposed properly for brightness and contrast whereas the M1 photo is WAY overbright - even the ring land edges are washed out.

Photos for Idiots.

The spec is demerits for gram weight deposits.

While that may be the case, both "marketing" photos; both the Mobil ones and the SOPUS ones are exposed the same way, take a look. Mobil's "slant" is to use poorer exposure to make the "market general" pistons look worse than they are, SOPUS's slant is to use only one piston from each set; the worst and the best, to exaggerate their claim and then have it accompanied by "up to" language.

This is marketing, it is all ridiculous, that's why I made the comparo compilation in the first place, because apparently many people on this board fall within your definition of "idiots" since they are referencing the SOPUS photos as "proof", some even in this thread! Perhaps some less crass language would have been more appropriate.

I was never a Mobil guy but over the past year, the service they've provided has made a huge difference to me. Mobil is the only one of the majors to have answered the 3 email inquiry I've had (sent to all the major brands), and done so promptly (can't say the same for the others). Their tech line employees are knowledgeable and always courteous and their website is by far the best available. Not to mention M1 product can be found everywhere. All the majors make good products but the reasons given have swayed me. Goofy marketing or not.

Here's the Mobil pics and the SOPUS pics together. The Mobil pics are a bit brighter but you can clearly see the deposit variations. The "worst" Mobil 1 piston (top right) is nary identical to the one SOPUS used in their advertising whilst the bottom left Mobil 1 piston is almost the same as the SOPUS piston.

Seq3GPistons01.jpg

Hmmm, so marketing plays a part in sales? Say it ain't so.

If we get right down to it, all full synthetics are probably about the same as far as your engine is concerned.

It cracks me up when people say "I feel that does a better job". [censored]!!!!! You know what, your "feelings" are irrelevant when it comes to lubrication for your engine.

Buy whatever synthetic is a god price and readily available.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I was never a Mobil guy but over the past year, the service they've provided has made a huge difference to me. Mobil is the only one of the majors to have answered the 3 email inquiry I've had (sent to all the major brands), and done so promptly (can't say the same for the others). Their tech line employees are knowledgeable and always courteous and their website is by far the best available. Not to mention M1 product can be found everywhere. All the majors make good products but the reasons given have swayed me. Goofy marketing or not.

^^^I have come to this conclusion as well, but primarily because it is THE most available oil in my area. Hands down the most comprehensive selection of flavors/varieties. I can always find it and it is always a good price.

im new here as you all can tell and for some strange reason have really grown to enjoy oil?? Any way. My point was that when I first joined I noticed all the advertising from Pennzoil and went down to my local WM and purchased PP for my first ever run of synthetic in my 05 odyssey. I am sure some will say it's all in my head but I almost immediately noticed the van was quieter than before (previous VWB). When the wife leaves to take the kids to school in the morning it's obvious. Not only that but after seeing that post of the guys Odyssey that v tech failed on due to buildup I just new I would be running synthetic from now on. Now I go doing some homework and all over the place I find Mobil doing engine RDI's and showing great looking insides after crazy miles and usage but all I can find from my beloved PP is the shell guys and gals talking about pure plus and how awesome it is and on picture of a piston. It's just marketing I get it but I'm starting to think its wiser to trust the guy who runs a car under specific usage then shows you the inside rather than just talk about being better or even as good as the other guy. I guess Pennzoil doesn't think they need to show the results of they can just talk about them. Again this coming from a guy who is currently using PP and loving at least one aspect, lower engine noise.

When I pull my valve cover to replace the gasket I'll take pictures. I'll try and get a real good camera as well. I want to run a couple more OCIs though before I actually do it. My gasket is fine but it wouldn't hurt doing it again since I just crossed the 100k mark, that and I'll get to take some vavletrain pics as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back