QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe friend and fellow member DLundblad told me that it had a nice slug of Molybdenum in it. Hard to beat $21.97 at Wal Mart too!
wink.gif

I've seen a lot of posts on here about QSUD.

It's a solid oil from SOPUS. For $21.97 at Walmart, it's a superb deal. I've run it in 0W20, 5W20 and -30. PP is the more expensive cousin and is geared more for cleaning, while QSUD is more for anti-wear.

I would run it if I could ever find more than a quart here or there. I don't stash oil so I have to be able to get it when it's time. No one seems to really carry it around here. Pennzoil is easy to find. QSGB is easy to find. QSUD, not so much.

Subaru recommends 5W30 synthetic for my car and I had settled on QSUD in that grade as my fill at one point. NOACK and cold viscosity were both very good and it was a bit cheaper than M1. The thing that sent me back to M1 was seeing some discussion about calcium in oil possbily not being good for DIT engines, and M1 and Castrol were the only major brand oils that I saw that seemed to replace some of the calcium with magnesium.
I used QSUD for one change with no issues and still have a 5Q jug in the garage waiting to be used at some point. I told my wife I'd put it in her Avalon, but she told me that she trusted the oil change flunkies at her Toyota dealer more than me...she wouldn't even just take the jug for them to use because she thought that would offend them.

Great oil, especially for the price point. I've run it in both GM products calling for dexos licensed oils as well as in Subaru boxers. No issues at all. Currently running it in my son's 1.4 T Cruze. I can't find it in 0w-20 in my neck of the woods or it would be in my current Silverado as well.

As for their rebate program, though. It's as bad as their oil is good, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The thing that sent me back to M1 was seeing some discussion about calcium in oil possbily not being good for DIT engines, and M1 and Castrol were the only major brand oils that I saw that seemed to replace some of the calcium with magnesium.
I used QSUD for one change with no issues and still have a 5Q jug in the garage waiting to be used at some point.

Hi Virtus_Probi,

Although i too have posted the study in question a few times, as well as others from various outlets, i wouldn't eliminate a high Calcium oil altogether because of it. There are just too many theories out there regarding T-GDi and other technologies, and after reading each one, a consumer could go crazy choosing "the right" oil. Hyundai still recommends SOPUS and use Quaker State at their dealerships without issue so i will certainly use the two jugs of Pennzoil Platinum i have stored, along with the Castrol Edge. I wouldn't worry to much about pouring the contents of that jug you have in the garage into that fine boxer turbo either
wink.gif

2010 Hyundai 2.4L
I been running PYB. Maybe I should try QSUD next OC since Hyundai recommends it.... maybe

Why does Hyundai recommend Quaker State?

Last edited:
I would think it has more to do with marketing sponsorship than anything else. Hyundai is still seen by many as a value brand and Quaker State is a value motor oil, but that is strictly speculative on my behalf. Some research may very well have been done using Shell oils.

Incidentally, the sticker in my engine-bay is a little different, "Hyundai recommends Shell Helix and Quaker State Motor Oils." Pennzoil Conventional is a SOPUS brand so i'd continue using it.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
It's a SOPUS product (pennzoil shell) , quality !

+1

Yes, QSUD is a high quality motor oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The thing that sent me back to M1 was seeing some discussion about calcium in oil possbily not being good for DIT engines, and M1 and Castrol were the only major brand oils that I saw that seemed to replace some of the calcium with magnesium.
I used QSUD for one change with no issues and still have a 5Q jug in the garage waiting to be used at some point.

Hi Virtus_Probi,

Although i too have posted the study in question a few times, as well as others from various outlets, i wouldn't eliminate a high Calcium oil altogether because of it. There are just too many theories out there regarding T-GDi and other technologies, and after reading each one, a consumer could go crazy choosing "the right" oil. Hyundai still recommends SOPUS and use Quaker State at their dealerships without issue so i will certainly use the two jugs of Pennzoil Platinum i have stored, along with the Castrol Edge. I wouldn't worry to much about pouring the contents of that jug you have in the garage into that fine boxer turbo either
wink.gif

My dealership uses what ever oil they can buy in bulk cheap. I even asked them what brand of oil I could not get an answer. They had no clue. That's why I'm looking for an oil That I can take(to dealer) and only pay labor and a filter.

I need another oil recommended. I can not find QSUD in my area. Besides, I hear is sludge's up the engine.

Last edited:
It doesn't sludge up your engine. If you are set on SOPUS you can use Pennzoil. It's usually readily available. Mobil is another easy to find great oil in any blend or flavor.

edit** Part of the reason for me switching to Mobil is the ease of availability in my area. I can always find it. QSUD is a fantastic oil and it doesn't cause sludge.

Last edited:

Hi Virtus_Probi,

wink.gif

Hey wemay,
I certainly don't think that QSUD will be horrible for my engine or anything, just chose to go back to another fine oil in M1 given that there may (or may not) be something to the CaSa in DIT concerns. I'd have no problem with using my QSUD jug if I didn't happen to make it to MalWart before a change, didn't get flames shooting out of the hood when I used it before. ;^)
It is a weird little balancing act picking an oil when you really start looking at the details...something always crops up when I think I've found the "perfect" 5W30 oil. Amsoil SS has tons of calcium, Mobil 1 ESP has a low TBN and maybe mediocre cold viscosity. The only thing I don't like about standard M1 is that the NOACK is nothing great, certainly not bad. It's going to get more complicated when I'm out of warranty and start looking at grades like 0W40!!!

Hi Virtus_Probi,

wink.gif

Hey wemay,
I certainly don't think that QSUD will be horrible for my engine or anything, just chose to go back to another fine oil in M1 given that there may (or may not) be something to the CaSa in DIT concerns. I'd have no problem with using my QSUD jug if I didn't happen to make it to MalWart before a change, didn't get flames shooting out of the hood when I used it before. ;^)
It is a weird little balancing act picking an oil when you really start looking at the details...something always crops up when I think I've found the "perfect" 5W30 oil. Amsoil SS has tons of calcium, Mobil 1 ESP has a low TBN and maybe mediocre cold viscosity. The only thing I don't like about standard M1 is that the NOACK is nothing great, certainly not bad. It's going to get more complicated when I'm out of warranty and start looking at grades like 0W40!!!

The calcium issue in a DI/turbo engine is hard to figure. Ford is into DI and turbocharging more than any other major manufacturer but its MotorCraft oil has heavy calcium content. If calcium were really an issue you'd think they would require ConocoPhillips to reformulate the blend. But, as Mobil1 and Castrol are excellent low-calcium alternatives, why not use them? This is BITOG, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back