2.7 Ecoboost: What is Oil Spec and Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at 2015 F-150's with 2.7 Ecoboost.

What Oil Spec and weight does this engine call for? What is it's capacity?

Does Ford use an OLM or does service light go off of miles only?

Thanks,

Andrew

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
I am looking at 2015 F-150's with 2.7 Ecoboost.

What Oil Spec and weight does this engine call for? What is it's capacity?

Does Ford use an OLM or does service light go off of miles only?

Thanks,

Andrew

Do a used Ecoboost oil filter search on here before you buy one.

huh...digging through the owners manual, while the other engine options all use the FL-500s, the 2.7EB takes a FL-2062, which appears to be a new unit for this engine, and even finding a pic of one seems to be impossible. even for some of the ford dealers it seems to be hard to get..
( since the 2.7's are made here in town, I'm probably 10 miles from the motherload of those unobtainale filters right now)

on these newer models ford calls it an IOLM, or "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor" that is supposed to factor all sorts of stuff into it's algorithm. unlike my 09 Sable, that for me anyway, seems to tick off 1% per day.

Last edited:
Ford's "IOLM" is an intelligent algorithm-driven oil life caclulator built-in to the engine's computer, so it takes the guesswork out of when to change the oil. They have finally caught up to GM's oil life monitor system, and Ford's is late to the party, but likely just as good. See the link below for what to expect:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-fe...ite-MFPR0515OIL

Use Castrol's Magnatec 5w-30 since there was a recent Ecoboost pickup truck that had great wear results using it, from a UOA.

Rock Auto and Amazon and ebay have the oil filters. The oil is SN 5W-30 I bought an XL super cab 2 wheel drive Aug 18. So far it has 600 miles on it. The electronics are really stupid but people like stupid these days ! other than that so far so good. I feel like an idiot buying a first year vehicle . I should know better . But I had this feeling. So far I have been getting close to 23 MPGs that is the same as my 1996 4 cyl Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive auto trans.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It is a cartridge filter. I made sure we had some in stock a few months ago, and we finally had one come in for an oil change this week.
Again I ask,,, any reports on problems?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It is a cartridge filter. I made sure we had some in stock a few months ago, and we finally had one come in for an oil change this week.
Again I ask,,, any reports on problems?

Nothing that I have seen at all. Literally we got the first 2.7L in any application in last week for an oil change. Other vehicles may have had trim or suspension related issues where I would not have paid attention to the engine size.

Also on the message board for Ford parts people, techs, and service people I have not seen anything about the 2.7L.

thanks for all the responses!

CT8, yes I am conflicted about buying first model year of new body style, especially with all of the electronic systems and the turbos, but a MSRP of $43k and a sells price of $32k is hard to pass up.

CT8, did you buy the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) for your truck?

I have looked online and there are 2 dealers that stand out for offering the best prices on the Ford ESP's. I was thinking about the 100k mile plan....

The deal was what pushed me into the truck. No I didn't get the warranty. It will hopefully break during the warranty period of I will do the work my self. Call me a fool. The oil pan drain plug is the selling point!!!

The deal was what pushed me into the truck. No I didn't get the warranty. I will hopefully break during the warranty period of I will do the work my self.

There aren't widespread problems with these engines anyway.

And repair costs aren't going to be that much. Even body work isn't going to be that much - unless you are the one magazine and take out the $800 tail light with a sledge hammer.

The engine design is still new. time will tell . As far as driving the p/u I really like it. My wife likes her 2002 Superduty better though. I hope the mpgs stay.

I'm not sure on oil weight & capacity but it's either 5W-20 or 5W-30. The info will be in the owner's manual if you purchase the vehicle.

Ford uses an oil life monitor that can go up to 10,000 miles or 1 year before signalling a change. The oil life monitor will monitor driving conditions & driving habits to determine oil life. If you do lots of towing then you'll probably get signalled for a change at 5,000-6,000 miles. If you do a little towing but mostly normally driving 7,000-8,000. Easy driving could get you up to 10,000. Ford's oil life monitor is very accurate.

Ford recommends Motorcraft synthetic blend or a full synthetic. With the 2.7L or any EcoBoost, I recommend a full synthetic.

Rock Auto and Amazon and ebay have the oil filters. The oil is SN 5W-30 I bought an XL super cab 2 wheel drive Aug 18. So far it has 600 miles on it. The electronics are really stupid but people like stupid these days ! other than that so far so good. I feel like an idiot buying a first year vehicle . I should know better . But I had this feeling. So far I have been getting close to 23 MPGs that is the same as my 1996 4 cyl Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive auto trans.

23mpg, wow that is great, what is your driving style like?

Originally Posted By: Brons2

23mpg, wow that is great, what is your driving style like?
Easy. I cruise 70 mph on the freeway and coast to a stop when traffic allows. Every once in a while some WOT to keep everything freed up.[That is the Italian in me]

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
thanks for all the responses!

CT8, yes I am conflicted about buying first model year of new body style, especially with all of the electronic systems and the turbos, but a MSRP of $43k and a sells price of $32k is hard to pass up.

I'd say nothing to worry about. I've got 2 first year Fords in my driveway and they have been fine.

2010 Taurus SHO - had since new. Some early issues but all taken care of under 3/36. Now @ 92k and no issues - runs great and little maintenance outisde of normal wear and tear.

2011 F150 Ecoboost. Bought used with 43k in Jan 2014. Had the normal F150 issues - slip yolk thing, and the condensation issues. Dealer did the latest TSB for the condensation and lubed the yolk, all under 6/60 powertrain. Runs great and pulls our 35' 9k travel trailer very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back