Air compressor oil moisture problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 stage air compressor I use an 30 wt. Non-detergent oil. Is there another oil or even a synthetic that would help the oil and lubrication so it would not pick up so much moisture.

I know the problem would be alleviated if the compressor was used more but that's just not the case. I understand my compressor is probably too large for my shop especially since I don't work as much as I used to.

Any advice appreciated

If you can't get the compressor up to temp frequently, demulsibility testing would be your focus.

ASTM D-1401

Amsoil PCJ reports 40/40/0 (5)

Royal Purple Synfilm Recip 100 use to use Amsoil switched to RP and never looked back

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Royal Purple Synfilm Recip 100 use to use Amsoil switched to RP and never looked back

Ron is specifically concerned about moisture issues.

Synfilm Recip. 100 reports ASTM D-1401 @ 40/40/0 (30)

If you'd please address as to how you feel that's superior to the Amsoil product, I'll certainly listen.

I did not understand the significance of all of the items I read above. However the synthetic purple oil did cite the following; "• Rapidly separates from water"

Would it be correct for me to interpret that as allowing the water to Boil off at a rate faster than other Oils would do therefore allowing the water to be eliminated from the oil if I can get it up hi enough temperature?

Originally Posted By: ron in sc
"• Rapidly separates from water"

fzbhSaJ.png

Royal Purple Synfilm Recip. - 30 minutes
Amsoil Compressor Oil SAE 30 - 5 minutes

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: ron in sc
"• Rapidly separates from water"

fzbhSaJ.png

Royal Purple Synfilm Recip. - 30 minutes
Amsoil Compressor Oil SAE 30 - 5 minutes

In the real world how significant is the extra 25 minutes for the moisture to dissipate? Does royal purple have an equivalent test, in other words what is their position on amsoil test? Is amsoil test the industry standard for moisture in the compressors oil sump?

Ron,

I have no financial interest in either product. Accordingly, I couldn't care less as to what you select, whether it's Amsoil, RP, or grapefruit juice you put in this compressor.

In regards to lube performance in the presence of moisture, the information you need to make a selection from is listed above -- this is an industry standard ASTM test protocol.

As well, I'm not receiving compensation here; accordingly, I'm not going to spoon-feed information. If you're unwilling to spend a few minutes on Google to understand what it is you're actually looking at, I'll leave the rest up to someone else.

Good luck.

From Reading the ASTM D-1401reports for both oils does the 30 at the end of the report for royal purple on the data sheet mean 30 minutes for water to boil off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back