Should Arby's be boycotted for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Their food is terrible so he was doing the cop a service.

Actually I love their roast beef

Arby's has mostly vanished from my area. Not even sure where the closest one is now? They used to be around here and we would go to them often. I go to them on trips now. I always thought their food was decent for a fast food type restaurant.

For those saying the food is no good maybe the location they visited was sub par? There was a KFC here in town for a few years and it was HORRIBLE! I like KFC but you couldn't pay me to eat at that local place when it was here. It was dirty and the food was just awful. So as said maybe some of these folks just went to a bad location.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

For those saying the food is no good maybe the location they visited was sub par?

True. Although I find that big chains are pretty consistent and certainly the majority (I would guess) of Arbys have consistently good (IMHO) RB sandwiches.

Last edited:
Florida LEOs are real hard-[censored]. Maybe this all was just a joke.

Quote:
Kenny Davenport, 19,

And seeing a manager as 22...

This is the kind of thing they "needed to do" to learn the lesson.. You CAN'T joke with everybody.

BT,DT.

Let me just say, though.. Not everyone has a sense of humor.

You can refuse service to any person for any reason, if you look at the laws.. That's the part that gets me.. Still, this was the wrong "person" to do this with.

Arby's is also one of the better chains in food quality. They are great at rest stops, where they either usually have this, or a Roy Rogers (rest stops only on Roy Rogers LOL)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Their food is terrible so he was doing the cop a service.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love Arby's! Just fire all involved trash employees.

This would probably be the right thing to do.

Especially since the manager is 22.

I used to work fast food.. if the employee is the manager's "boy" then that employee would be there until a customer makes a big enough stink..

Quote:
Davenport's grandfather tell CBS Miami that he believes the whole incident is being blown out of proportion. He raised his grandson and said he has respect for the police. He believes the whole thing is centered around a misunderstood joke.

"Officers lives matter," he said. "Everybody's life matters. Somebody made a joke and she just didn't take it the right way. She didn't think they were joking. She thought it was a serious matter. Now their job as an officer is very serious and I appreciate all that they do."

I agree with the above here.

It's fast food. It's not Tavern On The Green in New York City, and you didn't come in a limo..

smile.gif
the officer should've said, "hey, don't make me call the health department! LOL jokingly of course, i bet she would've gotten a free meal...

by the way there was a comment about how these places are not busy, and i beg to differ. sometimes especially at peak meal hours these fast food places can get extremely busy

and on edit:

but the fact the place is busy still does not justify the behavior of the manager.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir!

What you have is a cop who cant't take a joke, and employees that have no customer service skills. Must be a local thing.

Flori....Duh!
Officer shouldn't have to accept bad humor with the purchase of a meal. Manager was probably making a point, and stepped back when it was brought to light. He deserves to be fired. And the officer deserves to eat somewhere better, anyway.

No customer should ever be the butt of a joke. The LEO shouldn't need a sense of humor to receive service. The wrong for this incident is 100% on the employees involved.

Exactly and BOTH the manager and employee should be fired!

I love the typical I'm colored "play the victim" angle by the young punk. He's a worthless punk, and the only reason he probably works on rare occasion is that in order to get back on the welfare roll again they might have to prove they worked so many hours each month. Some states have welfare to work programs where essentially as long as you can prove you worked a few hours a week you can still get your gov't check.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
A big, blown up, drawn out ordeal over very little at all.

The cop was so offended, mad or whatever that she had to make a report and go to the Union? Huh? Get a life! Instead, don't go there anymore and move on with your life!

And what's with the Union? Going to corporate to complain and suggesting a Nationwide boycott over an isolated incident? What ever happened to moving up the chain of command? This is likely a franchise- so what about talking to the owner? They're barking up the wrong tree.

If you were refused service( even as part of a joke )you would be offended I am sure. Maybe even more so if you found out it was a joke and you were the butt of it. Add in all the national tension between blacks and the Police and I can see where this would not be seen as funny.

Perhaps you're right? Dunno? None the less I wouldn't go crying to my boss or the union or whoever to make a national stink of it! I'd do as I said- take my money and leave and not go back.

Originally Posted By: pbm

The cop was so offended, mad or whatever that she had to make a report and go to the Union? Huh? Get a life! Instead, don't go there anymore and move on with your life!

And what's with the Union? Going to corporate to complain and suggesting a Nationwide boycott over an isolated incident? What ever happened to moving up the chain of command? This is likely a franchise- so what about talking to the owner? They're barking up the wrong tree.

Eric:
I don't know if you've noticed but there has been a rash of cop killings recently....maybe they have a right to be a bit touchy??

As far as the kid saying "I'm colored"...it's called the RACE CARD and it's played regularly in America....

I don't care if they're up or down. Killings have nothing to do with this... She was refused service- whether it was intentional or not. It's not as if the drive through guy pointed a gun at her!

#growupyoulittlewhineygirl

My favorite statement of that article is I am going to stop talking I am 19, she is a police officer and I am colored. Irony of all that is if he was white he would have even less a chance of arguing. People defend police too much and the same can be said for blacks. I think we can look forward to soooo many more of these pointless altercations and frivolous stories.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
My favorite statement of that article is I am going to stop talking I am 19, she is a police officer and I am colored. Irony of all that is if he was white he would have even less a chance of arguing. People defend police too much and the same can be said for blacks. I think we can look forward to soooo many more of these pointless altercations and frivolous stories.

I think it points out a step forward in political correctness that employee wasn't tased or shot or "not chokeholded."

If you were refused service( even as part of a joke )you would be offended I am sure. Maybe even more so if you found out it was a joke and you were the butt of it. Add in all the national tension between blacks and the Police and I can see where this would not be seen as funny.

Perhaps you're right? Dunno? None the less I wouldn't go crying to my boss or the union or whoever to make a national stink of it! I'd do as I said- take my money and leave and not go back.

I can agree with you that going to her boss and her union seems crazy. I can see letting her boss know what happened maybe to get the word out to the other Officers that there are issues at that place( i.e. Cop haters so don't eat there or you might get a surprise in your food ). That is about all I would tell it to my boss for. I would never go to my union over it. That is absurd I agree.

I have no issue with the Officer being ticked off though. I don't consider the shift manager and a regular employee screwing around at the customer's expense to be no big deal though. To the contrary, I find it an enormous deal( if it happened to me ). I would raise holy heck with lots of bosses if that happened to me. The difference being it would be bosses at Arby's. From the main store manager all the way up to corporate HQ.

No question in my mind, if I were treated like that( i.e. as a joke ), I would really follow through with complaints all the way to the top. I have done so before when treated poorly by employees and management and would do it again. It is unacceptable under any circumstance barring messing with a friend( if it isn't busy and no other customers around ).

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't effect me one way or the other because I wasn't involved. I am simply "worked up" because the topic was raised and I am commenting on it.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
It's also not illegal to refuse service...

This was a bad joke.

If you have followed the story about the bakery refusing service to the gay couple( i.e. refused to bake them a wedding cake )I think you will see your theory is flawed.

If you refuse someone service you best have a good reason and one that would hold up in court. You can't refuse anyone for any reason you want. That is not legal.

This whole thing is sad. Sad that it happened. Sad that people want to blame the whole chain for the actions of what is likely a franchised store.

People really don't understand, they just want to be outraged at something.

This is true at all places on the socioeconomicgenderpolitical spectrum.

I wonder if all who say this was just a 'joke' would find it amusing if a white worker refused to serve a black person at the drive thru as a joke? I'm seriously tired of the DOUBLE STANDARD in America when it comes to RACE.

If someone wears a 'black pride' tee shirt it's not a big deal but if someone wears a 'white pride' tee shirt he's immediately dubbed a 'racist'.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
It's also not illegal to refuse service...

This was a bad joke.

If you have followed the story about the bakery refusing service to the gay couple( i.e. refused to bake them a wedding cake )I think you will see your theory is flawed.

If you refuse someone service you best have a good reason and one that would hold up in court. You can't refuse anyone for any reason you want. That is not legal.

I see a lot of signs at mom and pop restaurants that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Thanks,management."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back