E-85. I think I'm a convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Hmm, I've never heard any argument made about lower yields due to pipelines, and we had the TransCanada Canadian mainline pipeline run right through our farmland.

People tend to see evil where they expect it. For instance Shannow thinks ADM is the most evil organization on the planet.

I don't know about ADM, but I do know ethanol can stand on its own if a retailer is on the ball.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
People tend to see evil where they expect it. For instance Shannow thinks ADM is the most evil organization on the planet.

Are you trolling, or just like making stuff up...I'm thinking the latter, as you are an habitual.

Please provide a link to those exact words.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Are you trolling, or just like making stuff up...I'm thinking the latter, as you are an habitual.

Please provide a link to those exact words.

First page on "another look at ethanol"

Hmmmm, interesting one.

Is "indescribable evil" better or worse than "most evil organization on the planet"?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

After his comment above on drugs and alcohol he really lost it here. That was pretty tacky, even for him.

He's linked all over the net. Pretty easy to spot on that one for sure. Go get 'em Turtle, you're on a roll. We love to watch a self-crucifixion...

Last edited:
If ethanol could stand on it's own two legs without a government
mandate that would be fine with me. But before it was mandated it was rare
or non existent. Mandates and subsidies distort the market. But eventually
The market has it's say.

I have no problem with that. We got subsidies eliminated in 2011. that was a start. But one thing cannot be avoided... before the mandates came along, and even with the option to buy fuel with no ethanol, many folks still opt for the ethanol blends. Not everyone has the options, but here in the middle of corn and ethanol country, we have ethanol free fuel readily available all around us, yet the bulk of fuel sold is E10. Folks use it. It is cheaper than ethanol free is probably the major contributor to their decision, but the key is they are not afraid of it.

But there a hundreds of thousands of other mandates and regulations the government regulates on us as citizens that causes me more ire than the ethanol thing. Some of the stuff that gets put into mandates and regulation cause much more harm to the economy and folk's personal lives than ethanol.

If the ethanol mandates went away tomorrow, nothing would change for me. I would buy whatever offers the best value. Right now, that is E15 in my area.

Getting somewhat back on point, I recently switched my 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0 over to E85. Prices have spread enough to make it viable. I ran my 2013 1500 5.3L on E85 most of the time. With the 2500, the mpg spread hasn't been as large between fuels as it was with the 1500. With the 2500, I typically average around 14.5 on regular, and am now averaging 12.7 on E85. So even with only a 50 cent price spread right now, I am spending about 2 cents a mile less on fuel using the E85. So, I guess it will stay on E85 for a while. I would usually wait till the fuel price spread was about 70 cents as the 1500 mpg spread only made E85 break even cost per mile on that large of a price spread. The 6.0L seems to be better set up for E85.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Getting somewhat back on point, I recently switched my 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0 over to E85. Prices have spread enough to make it viable. I ran my 2013 1500 5.3L on E85 most of the time. With the 2500, the mpg spread hasn't been as large between fuels as it was with the 1500. With the 2500, I typically average around 14.5 on regular, and am now averaging 12.7 on E85. So even with only a 50 cent price spread right now, I am spending about 2 cents a mile less on fuel using the E85. So, I guess it will stay on E85 for a while. I would usually wait till the fuel price spread was about 70 cents as the 1500 mpg spread only made E85 break even cost per mile on that large of a price spread. The 6.0L seems to be better set up for E85.
Does GM recommend running a tank of regular gas through the engine every 5-10,000 miles like Ford? And what's the purpose?

I have never seen anything in the GM manual or seen a TSB that mentions running a tank of regular now and then. I ran my 1500 for over a year, solid, on E85 and had no negative results. I cannot see how running a tank of regular would do anything positive. E85 is stellar at keeping deposits out of the fuel lines, pump, and injectors, as well as overall less carbon deposits.

I've never understood it either. And google isn't any help. Not that it's an issue around here. We had one E85 station but E85 was more expensive than regular.

I've seen WRX/FXT tuners claim to get ~80HP gains on little more than running E85 and tuning for it.
Never have seen E85 anywhere in New England (not corn country!!!), so it's just a pipe dream for me.

yeah, it is more a regional thing. I really don't care what I put in my pickup, as long as it offers the lowest cost per mile. Simple formula... cost per gallon / miles per gallon = cost per mile. Whatever provides me the lowest cost per mile is my primary concern. Right now in my area, it is E85. If E0 would be the lowest CPM, then I would use that. I don't have any bias on any fuel that my pickup can use, being a flex fuel variety. E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, or E85, which are all available in my area. For most of last spring and thru July, E15 was the fuel that got put in the pickup, as it was the low CPM leader then.

But, given that some of us have E85, that frees up more gas for those in other areas that don't have it or it is not cost effective to use it! Everybody wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back