clean and grease snowblower axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about getting my other snowblowers ready for the Midwest winter, soon..(even though we have high's predicted around 90 all week!)

I have a specific question about my Ariens Platinum 24...even though I clean and grease the axles (and inside of the wheels) each season I still get surface rust and one wheel is usually very difficult to remove. This machine is only 3 years old with about 10 hrs on it...

Are there any best practices to remove light surface rust and then any favorite greases to use on the axles to prevent them from rusting solid?

I've been cleaning the axles with a penetrating spray (Corrosion X) and scrubbing them with a scotch brite...then greasing with RoyalPurple synthethic grease. I think the RP grease is lousy as it seems to dry and harden quickly...time to look for a better grease for this application.

It seems that if I hadn't pulled the wheels and greased them each year that by now they would already be rusted solid to the axles.

What are you guys doing that's working for you?

I use Mystic JT-6 on my snowblower. It seems to do the trick, I know it does have pretty high water resistance so maybe that's part of it.

Go Hawks! I'm heading down for the opener this weekend. I only wish I could me confident in a W. This one is going to be close.

TWG - yeah, never thought I'd be too concerned about IL St. coming to town..but they are good and it will be a tough one. Long time season ticket holder...can't wait to be in a front yard in University Heights popping the first cold one around 7 AM!

and thanks for the grease recommendation.

I looked up the Ariens Platinum 24 and the wheels are driven and pinned to the axle and so don't rotate on the shaft. If all youre worried about is some rust just slather on some heavy waterproof grease and forget about it.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I looked up the Ariens Platinum 24 and the wheels are driven and pinned to the axle and so don't rotate on the shaft. If all youre worried about is some rust just slather on some heavy waterproof grease and forget about it.

appreciate all the replies...not concerned with a little rust, just want to make sure the wheel doesn't rust solid onto the axle, like happens with a lot of old snowblowers (and with the augers, too)

even using the RP synthetic grease I still had to pound one wheel off this spring to get it off the axle as it had rusted on...looking for best ways to keep this from happening.

I've found the grease dries up eventually or gets full of grime. Anti-seize has never let me down and is easier to apply. Just brush it on with that can that comes with the built-in brush.

bought a can of anti seize tonight with the brush...8 oz, should last forever! I'll give it a try this season.

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I use anti-seize on the axle shafts. Seems to work pretty well.

Anti seize is not a good lubricant. It was never meant for that type of service.I second the use of a waterproof marine grease.

I've found the grease dries up eventually or gets full of grime. Anti-seize has never let me down and is easier to apply. Just brush it on with that can that comes with the built-in brush.
+1 wheels are pinned and do not rotate on shaft it's for rust corrosion and removal of wheels.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Anti seize is not a good lubricant. It was never meant for that type of service.I second the use of a waterproof marine grease.

It doesn't need to lubricate anything since the wheels are pinned to turn with the shaft. It just needs to prevent them from seizing to the shafts, which it does well.

I've done this as well. It may not be the best lubricant, but it doesn't need to be since the wheels are typically locked with pull-pins to the axles.

To the OP: Don't forget to the zerks on the auger halves for the auger shaft. That's a nice feature on Ariens. Even my cheap Ariens SnoTek has them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back