Nippon max oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there

Been lurking here for a while and learnt a lot of good information so thought I might bust open a filter to add to the ever increasing pile.

Filter was installed on a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0L for about 4 or 5000KM and 14 months with 90% of trips being only a few KM long. Apparently the Hulk made a special appearance just to install it, and it was used with whatever oil the mechanic could get for cheap. Replaced with a genuine filter and Shell HX8 5W-30.

Apart from the fact it doesn't have an ADBV ([censored]?) I'm happy with it. See if you can spot the choccy custard
grin.gif
But seriously the stuff on the filter was hard and I have no idea what the [censored] it is but the stuff in the can was just sludge.

Any questions or want more pics? You have only to ask.

CTyfs2q.jpg

Dudn3QI.jpg

6wQcWxr.jpg

FlxBUQI.jpg

LHprx1D.jpg

2JcEwPQ.jpg

YrP37MD.jpg

zlTDH1T.jpg

E26lS9M.jpg

SqQE8vS.jpg

Quajr1Z.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Was the filter really made in Japan? What's your intended OCI on your new oil and filter?

Don't know for sure where it's made but I'd wager china or taiwan as its only a cheapie.

The oil in there I'll leave for a year, it's my brothers car and he doesn't drive all that much so not worried about the distance.

Makes sense, had another look at it and yeah it was rock hard. Comes across as a bit sloppy but I doubt it made any difference.

Originally Posted By: chrismo
Makes sense, had another look at it and yeah it was rock hard. Comes across as a bit sloppy but I doubt it made any difference.

You just don't want that sloppy glob on the inside center tube area, because if any broke off it could go down inside the engine.

Originally Posted By: chrismo
..... its only a cheapie.

The only thing that looks wrong with that filter is the sloppy glue. Pleats, endcaps, etc, otherwise look great for "a cheapie". Thanks for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back