Castrol Edge 0W30 vs.0W40- Any advantages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any advantage to using Castrol Edge 0W30 (now Belgian Castrol) over Castrol Edge 0W40 (now German Castrol) or vice versa (0W40 over 0W30) in a 2002 BMW 325i (with 150,000 miles) ? Any input would be appreciated.

No advantage using one over the other. Either are fine and meet BMW LL-01. Buy the one that is easiest/cheapest to obtain and use with confidence.

Last edited:
I use Castrol Euro 0w40 in our 2001 325ci, I know it's BMW LL-01 approved. Is 0w30?

Never mind, just checked and 0w30 is LL-01 approved...

I don't know why you would use it over the 0w40, it's about twice as expensive and harder to find.

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Would there be any advantage to using Castrol Edge 0W30 (now Belgian Castrol) over Castrol Edge 0W40 (now German Castrol) or vice versa (0W40 over 0W30) in a 2002 BMW 325i (with 150,000 miles) ? Any input would be appreciated.

Same formula. 0W40 is just little bit thick version of 0W30 (12.1cst in 0W30 compare to 12.85 in 0W40).
However, 0W40 you can find in Wal Mart. I just changed in my wife's Tiguan yesterday and paid $22.87 for 5qt.

i have used both Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 in my VW and have not noticed any difference in consumption-very little, fuel economy, noise, etc, etc. I have never done a UOA so I can't comment on what that would show. I have moved on to using 0W40 as my regular fill as it is the newer oil and is API SN. Does it really make a difference, probably not
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I have moved on to using 0W40 as my regular fill as it is the newer oil and is API SN. Does it really make a difference, probably not
wink.gif

Just to clear up any misconceptions regarding the API ratings between the 0W30 and 0W40 (as was discussed many times in various places on this board)... There is NO significant formulation difference between the 0W30 SL stuff and the 0W40 SN stuff. This is because API restricts certain additive levels for xW20 and xW30 oils in their SN spec, but leaves the xw40 and xw50 grades "exempt" from such restrictions.

Therefore, in the case of the two Castrol oils (0W30 and 0W40), they have very similar additive levels, and neither one is "newer" or "better" than the other in terms of formulation. They both meet most of the same relevant manufacturer specifications.

However, due to API restrictions, they cannot label the 0W30 as SN, so it must remain as SL for the rest of its useful product life cycle, whereas the 0W40 can be labelled as SN because it is exempt from the above restrictions. This is all despite the fact that these oils have very similar additive levels / packages.

Therefore, ignore the SL and SN on the Euro oils. There is no difference (other than viscosity / HTHS) between the two oils.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
i have used both Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 in my VW and have not noticed any difference in consumption-very little, fuel economy, noise, etc, etc. I have never done a UOA so I can't comment on what that would show. I have moved on to using 0W40 as my regular fill as it is the newer oil and is API SN. Does it really make a difference, probably not
wink.gif

Who cares about API. As was stated many times, the reason why 0W30 is Sl and 0W40 is Sn is in additive levels, but formulation is pretty much same.
Most importantly, both oils meet MB 229.5, and have exceptional pour point.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, they could pretty much delete the API spec off both products as it is, without harming their sales in the least.

And while they're doing that, they could also delete Edge 0w-30 altogether. The 0w-40 meets all the same specs and more, so the 0w-30 version is redundant, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yep, they could pretty much delete the API spec off both products as it is, without harming their sales in the least.

And while they're doing that, they could also delete Edge 0w-30 altogether. The 0w-40 meets all the same specs and more, so the 0w-30 version is redundant, IMO.

Although I liked a lot 0W30, I do not understand why they are offering it. It would make more sense to bring Mid-SAPS version of 0W30 from Europe (MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 and VW 505.01).

Yep, they probably could delete the GC 0w-30, being redundant. But, if we held every oil company's feet to the fire about redundant product, well, could you imagine what Walmart shelves would look like should SOPUS only sell one SN/GF-5 synthetic per grade, one conventional per grade, and one HM per grade, rather than four or more tiers per brand with three brands?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Question asked and answered. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Remember when 0W30 GC was all the rage?

Even now a lot of people only use GC 0W30 because "it's the only real synthetic".

Well, when it comes to readily available oils, 0W30 and 0W40 Castrols are PAO based.
M1 is also moving back to PAO from VISOM.

Originally Posted By: BTW

I don't know why you would use it over the 0w40, it's about twice as expensive and harder to find.

Bingo...

0w-40 can be found easier and cheaper, available in 5qt jugs from Amazon as well for the same price as Wally World and free shipping if you're a prime member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back